Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times

Advertisements

I am having the hardest time training my little babies to go outside for their business.

Part of it is my fault I'm sure. I've been so busy with the rehab, I'd forget to take them outside every 20 minutes or so. But after the first 4 weeks I got much better with the consistency of doing so.

They've also got the full run of the pool area and entire backyard. Pool area is 60 x 30' and back yard is twice that. They've gotten to the point where they do their thing outside all day.... when the weather is good, but they will often defecate in the pool area.

At night, even when I'm taking them on leashes outside every 30 minutes or so, it seems I find their poops in the LR shortly after just having been out.

Today, Frenchy, the female, went pee in the front master suite while I was out in the workroom cleaning off my tools. I'd just troweled a layer of WHITE concrete on the bathroom floor in there and she also ran all through THAT! UGH!!!!! I keep the rooms they can NOT go in blocked off with 12" panels and they KNOW they're NOT supposed to go into that room at all.

ALL thoughts and helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. They're just about 5 months right now... and they weigh about 12 lbs. I'd say. Oh yah... for those who don't know, they're brother and sister Papillons.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
I would shovel a path to where you want the dog to go and take him out every time and tell him to "go potty" or whatever command you choose in the specified area. Offer praise and a small treat as a reward when he goes where he should. You have to make sure you givee them praise and treats immediately after potty or else they might think its for something else. Be diligent about taking him out now and you could be rewarded with a dog that goes in a designated area.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
This is the classic house-training post/advice:
//www.city-data.com/forum/13194879-post12.html

Viralmd is on vacation, so I am giving you the reference for the post.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Can anyone tell me where to buy these?

Nature’s Miracle or Simple Solution

Or is there something I can make homemade that has the enzyme that will remove the scent in it?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM

And I just found out their actual birthday was November 16, 2009, so they're just over 4 months old. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon, but I don't remember having this much of an issue when the Corgi's were pups. Maybe my memory let go of that part of raising them. rofl

Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Never had paps but it seems to take a while for smaller breeds to housetrain - maybe smaller bladders etc.

Try not to get discouraged but w/ 2, it can take twice as long. We spent time in our kitchen (gated) so we could keep a close eye on ours. Taking them outside often seems to help. Wouldn't get too excited if they'd have an accident but we tried to scoop them up and get them outside fast. If I heard them whining in the middle of the nite in the crate, I'd get up and would take her out, keeping her on a short leash, she was out there to 'go', not to play, she could play later. Then back to the crate which didnt always make her happy but she did settle down and go back to sleep (and most of the time, she would 'go' outside). Taking her out in the middle of the nite was the only time I didnt treat her (if she 'went'), it wasn't something I wanted to encourage but at the same time, I didnt want her to have an accident in the crate either and have to sleep in it.

At 4 months, yours are probably eating often - and will be pooping often. As they grow, you can cut their food to two feedings a day - it helps them get on a schedule. Take them out when they wake up, when they start circling etc. Mine are adults and dont always tell us but give off signals (get pestier than usual etc).

Nature's Miracle and prob. Simple Solution can be bought at most large pet supply stores (not sure about grocery stores, it's been a while for me too). Resolve (for pets) in an orange plastic bottle also helped and can be bought at your local grocery store (large ones, anyway).

Anyway, hang in there, am sure they'll get the hang of it soon, it does take a while though but they do try to please.

PS We also didnt papertrain b/c I wanted them to 'go' outside directly, imo papertraining is giving them mixed messages (that it's OK to 'go' in the house) and it can be confusing (I dont think you're papertraining but thought I'd just throw that out in case anyone reads this and is thinking about it).

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 03-22-2010 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
I've used Nature's Miracle - highly recommended by "dog people". I get it at Petco or Petsmart.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and help ladies.

They sleep in their crate for 7-8 hours every night and haven't pooped or peed in there for 3 weeks now, so I know they can hold it and go when they want and where they want. They also don't pee on the couch. lol Anything else seems to be fair game to them though.

I've got about 2 more weeks of serious work to put out around here, then I'll be able to focus solely on their training. Maybe just giving them some more time and working a little harder at it will get the job done. They are the sweetest puppies. I'm having a ball with them.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Sleeping is different from walking around - walking makes things "move" on out. People "go" first thing in the morning, too! They are still young to have total control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs