U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:35 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,245,128 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, what I'm looking for is a 'mutt' (or a designer dog). Let's just get that part out of the way.

My question is, how can I find a reputable 'breeder' for a zuchon/schichon puppy? I have found a few websites and have immediately eliminated some based on comments about their practices. I think I am struggling because these are homemade websites and thus hard to take seriously.

I have found a site with a location relatively close to me (2ish hours) so I know I could go check them out, ask questions, and see the location in addition to picking up the pup myself.

My concern however is that they supposedly produce several breeds (some purepred, some mixes). Of the kind I am looking for, 3 are available and all have different birth dates some just 2 weeks apart. Is this normal for a reputable breeder? To have several litters (of just this one breed) so close together? It just seems off to me.

Additionally, the ones I am looking at are close to 5 months old - which I have no problem with, and actually prefer, but should I question why these dogs weren't taken as brand new pups?

With all that said - any recommendations for where to look? Or do you know of one yourself?

Sorry for the rambling...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM

23,659 posts, read 25,970,667 times
Quote:
My concern however is that they supposedly produce several breeds (some purepred, some mixes). Of the kind I am looking for, 3 are available and all have different birth dates some just 2 weeks apart. Is this normal for a reputable breeder? To have several litters (of just this one breed) so close together? It just seems off to me.

For good reason. This screams "puppy mill".....

Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,245,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
For good reason. This screams "puppy mill".....

I agree. That's why I'm skeptical. I would honestly prefer to find a reputable breeder who has one litter a year even if it means waiting. The problem is that since this isn't an AKC recognized breed, I can't go that route to find a breeder (which I would prefer to find someone who meets these standards).

Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 5,836,431 times
It's going to be very hard to find a reputable breeder breeding "designer" dogs. Most of these are just in it for the money. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,305,190 times
Go to a pound or shelter, I'm pretty sure you'll find what you're looking for there.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:53 PM

10,091 posts, read 39,892,355 times
There is no such thing as a "reputable" breeder when it comes to designer dogs. Breeding mutts for money. "Standards" are a laugh...you or the "breeder" won't have a clue as to what percentage of either breed your puppy is.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,364,049 times
I'm not sure what a schichon is, but I would check rescues for each breed, they will often have mixes. Agree with ShelbyGirl1 that you won't find a reputable breeder for a designer dog. Why not look for a purebred dog that is one of the breeds that make up the schichon?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,261,138 times
Look into rescues. I highly doubt you will ever find someone who is reputably breeding mixes. As a general rule of thumb, good breeders will:

1) Health test for common ailments in their breed (hips, eyes, etc). These results will be findable in national databases. This is far beyond the vet deeming the puppies "healthy".
2) Title the parents in some way appropriate to the breed (conformation, agility, herding, therapy, weight pulling, SOMETHING). The titles will be on the parents, not 4-5 generations back in the pedigree.
3) Put some sort of clause in the contract that says if for any reason you cannot keep the dog, they will take it back. This prevents their dogs from ever contributing to the overpopulation problem.
4) There will be some sort of breeding rules specified. If the dog is not perfectly healthy or show quality, it will often be required to be fixed. Since mixed breeds can't fit a standard (there is no standard for mixed breeds), this is impossible.

I will be SHOCKED if you can find a mixed breeder that does that.

Mixes have not been standardized yet, so there is no guarantee that whatever dog you find will be similar to another one you've seen before. That goes for personality as well. You could end up with the worst traits from each parent breed in the pup. When looking for mixes, it is a FAR better idea to go to a rescue or a shelter and spend time with a specific dog to make sure it fits your family.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:46 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,278,283 times
Shelby is correct. There is no such thing as a reputable breeder that breeds mutts and you'd be a fool to go looking for one. There are plenty of the 'designer breed' dogs dying in shelters every day. Instead of making that problem worse, how about you go save a life instead?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 AM

2,806 posts, read 7,084,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Shelby is correct. There is no such thing as a reputable breeder that breeds mutts and you'd be a fool to go looking for one. There are plenty of the 'designer breed' dogs dying in shelters every day. Instead of making that problem worse, how about you go save a life instead?
I couldn't agree more...wish I could rep you again, but I gotta "spread some around" first, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs