Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 30,940 times

Advertisements

i will be moving to the US in November and am trying to decide which airline to fly with.
I usually fly delta myself into atlanta and then on to LAX. I have researched both flying him with me as checked baggage in the cargo hold and also flying him on a cargo plane but have decided i'd rather have him on the same flight as me as if he goes cargo he will be sent to another terminal and i'll have to pick him up and drop him back off there the next day for my flight to LA (i'll be staying one night in Atlanta).

I've heard mostly good things about Delta's Pet First Travel but does anyone else have any recommendations of airlines, or any seditives i can give him as he's stressed even in cars?

any help will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
What size/breed dog? Re sedatives, would talk to your vet about it and since you have a lot of time between now and Nov., try to desensitize him as far as car trips as that will hopefully carry over to the plane trip, there's no reason he can't overcome it. Would first make sure you have a safe place in the car for him, get a car harness and attach it to the seatbelt or if he's a small dog, use a crate bungee corded in, put on some music and try to relax. Take him for a ride up and down your driveway, do that a few times, if he's OK w/ that, then take him around the block a few times (on different days). Going slow is prob. the best way to go. If you reassure him by petting him etc when he's nervous in new situations, that's going to encourage the nervousness, you want to basically ignore him and show him that you take things in stride and hopefully he will too (very similar to dogs who have separation anxiety). Would prob. check w/ some major airlines about flying them, am sure others will share their personal experience in flying their dogs here when they can. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,055 times
FWIW, no European airline will allow a sedated dog to travel in the hold. I'm not sure about American carriers, you will need to check. Regardless of their rules, sedation is NOT advised. Due to the variations in air pressure, sedatives act differently up at 40,000 feet than they do down here and death is a not-unknown side effect - hence why sedated animals are banned from many, many airlines.

Vets aren't always as clued up as they should be about this.

Just make sure the plane you plan to travel on can physically take the size crate your dog will require. A lot of the more narrow-bodied planes can't actually accept a crate for a large sized dog.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1984 View Post
i will be moving to the US in November and am trying to decide which airline to fly with.
I usually fly delta myself into atlanta and then on to LAX. I have researched both flying him with me as checked baggage in the cargo hold and also flying him on a cargo plane but have decided i'd rather have him on the same flight as me as if he goes cargo he will be sent to another terminal and i'll have to pick him up and drop him back off there the next day for my flight to LA (i'll be staying one night in Atlanta).

I've heard mostly good things about Delta's Pet First Travel but does anyone else have any recommendations of airlines, or any seditives i can give him as he's stressed even in cars?

any help will be much appreciated!
Do not sedate him. It is very dangerous to do so, and most of the deaths that occur are due to the sedation of the animals.

Honestly, this sounds like a long and complicated flight. If I were you, I would consider professional animal shippers. It's too bad he gets stressed in cars; otherwise, I would say fly into Atlanta and then drive to CA.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:40 AM

210 posts, read 502,737 times
I'm currently looking at flying with Delta with my two big mutts as well, but we wont be moving until next year. Definitely do NOT sedate your poor dog - So many dogs can, and have, died on flights because people sedate them. Just get your dog used to travelling beforehand and get them crate trained!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
check with the airline to find out where you will have to pivk up the animal. You may still have to go to somewhere else to pick it up even if its on the same flight as you.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM

110 posts, read 348,410 times
Not a fan of Delta with pets. On three occasions the dog arrived safely but Delta was pretty sloppy about handling ( making sure pets make flights, accounting for pets) and keeping owner informed. We have had problems with them on three different flights. Also a mixed bag with KLM. One time horrible, another very good.
Northwest, ( suprisingly to me) did a fantastic job. Continental did a good job too but are kind of prissy about their requirements. That is probably a good thing since it is for your pet's protection.

Last edited by NewinScal; 04-12-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 AM

8 posts, read 30,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewinScal View Post
Not a fan of Delta with pets. On three occasions the dog arrived safely but Delta was pretty sloppy about handling ( making sure pets make flights, accounting for pets) and keeping owner informed. We have had problems with them on three different flights. Also a mixed bag with KLM. One time horrible, another very good.
Northwest, ( suprisingly to me) did a fantastic job. Continental did a good job too but are kind of prissy about their requirements. That is probably a good thing since it is for your pet's protection.

I heard northwest is good but they dont fly from dublin to atlanta. British airways was another one but we'd have to go dublin, london, atlanta and dont want to make a stop before atlanta as i'm afraid of it being too long of a trip. I'll defo try continental and see what they offer. I have a Staffie and i know aer lingus does not allow staffies or pit bull or any restricted breed on their flights which is bull as they are in the cargo hold!
Does anyone know a good site to get used airline approved crates?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 AM

110 posts, read 348,410 times
I have used petco in the past. They take a long time, though so plan in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs