Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

Our dog has figured out how to open every gate in the house. We knew this and just started covering our couches with sheets.

The good news is he doesn't destroy anything. He just hangs out and play with his toys.

Attached Thumbnails
Don't know why we even have the gates in place anymore-screenshot_20180829-093455_wyze.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 09:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
That's funny! Smart dog! I couldn't live with sheets on my furniture like that. I grew up that way and hated it then and hate it now. If you want to keep him off the furniture (understandable), these are really effective -https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-ScatMat-Indoor-Training-Electronic/dp/B0017XBDPA/ref=asc_df_B0017XBDPA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144421804&hvpos=1o1&hvne tw=g&hvrand=16742001105393780028&hvpone=&hvptwo=&h vqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026903 &hvtargid=pla-273483000362&psc=1

I had a little 11-pound foster dog once that was an escape artist. When it was time to try and let him start staying out of the crate during the day, I put up a baby gate and left him in the kitchen, 1, in case he had an accident, it was on the tile and not hardwoods, and 2, I didn't want to leave him free with my dog yet. He was only about 10" tall. I came home and opened the door to find two dogs standing on the other side, the little foster wagging his tail like crazy. The next day, I used the fireplace screen on the bottom and the baby gate on top. Same thing, came home to two dogs. The third day, I used a sheet of plywood about mid-thigh high on the bottom, blocked with heavy things to keep it from being pushed away and topped it with the baby gate, again leaving a barrier about chest or shoulder level high to me. Came home to 2 dogs at the door. Since neither dog appeared to be harmed and I found no accidents in the house and nothing destroyed, I just started leaving him out all day. Each day, I could find nothing amiss with my barrier and never did figure out how he was getting over.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
I've never had this problem with my dogs - but I'm pretty generous when it comes to letting them have run of the house. I've had the problem with cats - but that's a different tale, right?

I do cover couches and whatnot that they might get up on.

There are some places that they are NOT allowed on - living room couch and chairs, dining room anything, kitchen counters - and for most of the dogs that hasn't been overly problematic to teach. I had a dog boarding once who was a counter surfer. Didn't resolve that issue, but didn't really care, either - not my dog. Ok - if the owner had been paying me for training time - I would have fixed the issue. But they didn't, and it wasn't something I was going to have to live with, so I just let it go. Some time ago I had a hound who was a counter surfer, but we eventually got her convinced that wasn't a good idea, even when we couldn't see.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
The best thing about a dog like this that once he learns how to open the refrigerator there won't be a need to drive to Petsmart or wherever you get that kibble.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:05 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The best thing about a dog like this that once he learns how to open the refrigerator there won't be a need to drive to Petsmart or wherever you get that kibble.
Yeah... about the fridge...

Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 PM

234 posts, read 288,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
That's funny! Smart dog! I couldn't live with sheets on my furniture like that. I grew up that way and hated it then and hate it now. If you want to keep him off the furniture (understandable), these are really effective -https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-ScatMat-Indoor-Training-Electronic/dp/B0017XBDPA/ref=asc_df_B0017XBDPA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144421804&hvpos=1o1&hvne tw=g&hvrand=16742001105393780028&hvpone=&hvptwo=&h vqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026903 &hvtargid=pla-273483000362&psc=1

I had a little 11-pound foster dog once that was an escape artist. When it was time to try and let him start staying out of the crate during the day, I put up a baby gate and left him in the kitchen, 1, in case he had an accident, it was on the tile and not hardwoods, and 2, I didn't want to leave him free with my dog yet. He was only about 10" tall. I came home and opened the door to find two dogs standing on the other side, the little foster wagging his tail like crazy. The next day, I used the fireplace screen on the bottom and the baby gate on top. Same thing, came home to two dogs. The third day, I used a sheet of plywood about mid-thigh high on the bottom, blocked with heavy things to keep it from being pushed away and topped it with the baby gate, again leaving a barrier about chest or shoulder level high to me. Came home to 2 dogs at the door. Since neither dog appeared to be harmed and I found no accidents in the house and nothing destroyed, I just started leaving him out all day. Each day, I could find nothing amiss with my barrier and never did figure out how he was getting over.
Magic.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post

yes... shock your dog with electricity instead of making more reasonable accommodations......

when I have a new foster, I double baby gates.... one on top of the other.... I have not had one yet that breached that......

and if I was so worried about furniture, I would prevent my dog entry from that room..... I sure would not shock him or her with electricity..... that can cause serious mental health issues......

but of course, all of the dogs in my house are rescues, so I really don't know pedigrees......

Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yes... shock your dog with electricity instead of making more reasonable accommodations......

when I have a new foster, I double baby gates.... one on top of the other.... I have not had one yet that breached that......

and if I was so worried about furniture, I would prevent my dog entry from that room..... I sure would not shock him or her with electricity..... that can cause serious mental health issues......

but of course, all of the dogs in my house are rescues, so I really don't know pedigrees......
They really need a laughing hysterically icon but I guess this one will have to do Nothing I posted suggested “shocking a dog with electricity” and no, the product I shared will not “cause serious mental health issues.” I’ve had dozens of foster dogs and almost all of them came to me with issues that had them labeled “unadoptable” and I managed to train all but two of them and get them placed without causing any of them to have “serious mental health issues.” One I made the call to have euthanized after 8 months. The other I returned to the shelter after only a few days, when I told them I would no longer support them (not related to the dog); they euthanized the dog because they had no one else qualified to deal with it. The rest all got great home. You aren’t special because all the dogs in your house are “rescued”.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:34 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Never claimed to be special because all of my dogs are rescues...... that is a leap you are making....

and the NAME of the product is https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-ScatMat-Indoor-Training-Electronic/dp/B0017XBDPA........

does that not imply electric shock??

Old 09-02-2018, 11:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
When I got Dazzle he was 7 months old and house trained but when I was not home I did not want him running free in the house with Jazz and Dash until I was sure it was Ok. He was old enough I did not want to crate him so instead I would gate him in my dining room and it was a high barrier. When I was gone short periods all was ok . On the nights I would work I would come home every time to find Dash in the dining room with Dazzle. Dash was 12 at the time and in his final months of nasal cancer and had never been a fence jumper so it was a shock to see that he was in the dining room every time. I think he felt he was Dazzle's babysitter and did what ever it took to get to the new kid to make him feel comfortable. Dazzle had lived with quite a few other Silkens at his breeders and they tend to sleep several to a dog bed or couch so I think he missed that comfort of his old pack and perhaps whined so Dash felt the need to comfort him. At that point Jazz could have cared less about this odd new pup most of the time she pretended he was not even there so she had no interest in going in there with him. To this day I am still amazed that Dash would do it every time I was at work and the fact he did not injure himself.

My other gate jumper was Phoenix. I gated her in a room when I was not home because Jazz had issues with her and I did not want something to happen while I was not home to stop it. Well the first time I went to work I came home to Jazz and Dash greeting me at the door and noticed a very still Phoenix laying across the living room floor and she was not moving as I walked in. My first thought was OMG is she dead? No she as not dead she was deaf since birth and I just was not use to owning a deaf dog yet. It took a few months to get use to the fact that a deaf dog when asleep does not know what is going on around it until a touch or a strong vibration is felt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs