Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times

Advertisements

I have a 7 year old golden who has lost his appetite and is not feeling well at all. He has had diarrhea and vomiting and he is not his normal excited happy go lucky self.

I have him to the vet twice now, the first time the vet thought it could be a prostate infection and gastroenteritis, put him on an antibiotic and some other medication (can't remember what it was for exactly), and to call in a few days if he wasn't feeling better. He wasn't so I called a week later and brought him in again. This time he said it could be something like travelers diarrhea and put him on a different antibiotic and gave him two shots that were supposed to make him feel a little better.

That was Tues. He still is not feeling any better, he actually appears to be feeling worse. He has less of an appetite and doesn't want to get up when you call him.

My question is should I push the vet to look in a different direction? He said if he still wasn't feeling better by Fri. just to call and he would switch him to a different antibiotic, that I didn't even have to come in with him.

Or maybe go to a different vet? I'm worried that he isn't looking at something more serious and it might get to the point where it's too late to fix whatever is wrong with him.

Anyone that has had a similar situation, and what it turned out to be, would be most helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Not a similar situation. Sorry. But I would try another vet. My vet won't do anything unless she sees our pets in person and does at least some bloodwork.

Good luck and I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
DEFINITELY a different vet.... sounds like his current vet is just flailing around..... and instead of getting better, your dog is getting worse......

Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
I would say at this point your boy needs some diagnostics. I'd expect bloodwork plus or minus x-rays at the least. I guess what I'm really recommending is a second opinion. Just handing out antibiotics is not cutting it, you need a vet who will try to find out what the issue really is.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
Thanks folks. I am thinking the same. My gut just tells me that it's something more serious than a simple infection.

We lost our English Mastiff around Christmas time (due to old age) and I would hate for something to happen to this guy.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
yep, time for a different vet.

The only time Macie behaved that way, we actually think she ate some mouse bait that had been in the garage (not an area she is typically in and no, we no longer have mouse bait). I ended up mixing a bit of wet food in her kibble to entice her appetite. I can't remember at this point what all meds she got but I do think it included massive vitamin K. But we bloodwork etc was definitely done.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:49 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Yes, I agree bloodwork is a must, and I'd also get a chemistry panel done. If nothing is found, x-rays should be taken to make sure there's no obstruction...I would also find a different vet. Pumping antibiotics into him without knowing what the issue is sounds like a pretty bad way of "treating" an animal. Good luck, and my best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:18 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Definitely time for another Vet that will do blood work and even xrays.
The current one seems to be grabbing at straws unstead of finding the real problem and treating it.
Time is of the essence. Don't let this go on and maybe get past the point of being treatable.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Agreed with all of the above. Time for a second opinion. Gentle hugs to you both...and good thoughts that his symptoms are a sign of nothing too serious. Please, keep us posted.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Sending good wishes to you both. It is time for bloodwork and maybe x-rays. I would first call your vet and express your frustration. If you have a veterinary college in your area, that would probably be your next stop. There definitely needs to be a change, whether in vets or in treatment. Hope to hear soon that your Golden is feeling better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs