Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:41 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,694 times

Advertisements

OK.... We did take him to a different Vet.. the Vet down the road is the ones who done his emergency surgery.. They are the ones who made the cut 3 times its size from the first surgery due to all the bleeding... And yes he is on pain meds and antibiotics as well....
Were taking him in THIS MORNING for a checkup and to get the wound cleaned and whatever else they need to do...
As for him getting to the wound.. he is with one of us at all hours with an ECOLLAR AND MUZZEL to boot to keep him from getting to it and he is like the one said a doggie pretzel he can wiggle the ecollar back by rubbing it against him so he can lick.. and believe me we have done everything possible to keep him from doing this but it has agitated him so much that I can't blame him for trying..

I do appreciate all the advise cause god knows these vets have really angered me with all this.. but Im gonna give them one more chance to fix this and make it better for him.
And AS I said before We just moved here... from NC to KY... this Dec. and we decided to get our boy fixed.. so this is the FIRST TIME to a Vet here...looking for another vet will possibly be an option for next time.. but for now he is our last Dane to be fixed..Thank God..the other 3 were done back in NC.

I will let ya know if the Drs can prevail and make things better..other wise I will be looking for another Vet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Oh, I am so sorry that you have this vet! It is definitely time to start looking for a new one.
I would follow the advice of Mrs1885. I don't know who started the idea that peroxide is good on animal wounds b/c it is not. Not to mention, it burns.
I would keep the wound clean (flushed out with water) and use an antibiotic ointment. You can even run cold water (from a hose) over the wound for 10 mins, 3x a day, which will reduce the swelling and heat and will make sure that the wound is being flushed properly. It will probably continue to weep, so flushing it out and keeping a thin layer of ointment on it will be very important.
I assume that he is already on antibiotics. If he isn't, he should be.
And, of course, keep a collar on him. If he is still getting at it, I would try to find some tea tree/lavendar oil to put around (but not on) the wound, as the pungent smell may be able to deter him from licking the area. Just make sure that you don't get the oil in the wound.
And I would find a new vet a.s.a.p and take him in on Mon. Good luck!
Thanks for the advise..hmmm I might have to try the tea tree/lavendar oil later.. were taking him to the vet this morning to see what they say and do.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Ok Got some GREAT News... he is healing just weeping a lil and they said that is normal due to the size of the cut and of course all he has been through.. So lets hope everything goes well over the next week.. I also believe as she was looking at it she knew she screwed up..even though I can't prove it but she is trying to do all she can to make things better.. one is for NOT charging us for this visit..which helped lord knows we have spent enough money on him.. So now we just wait and see if everything heals and nothing else becomes an issue with this.. Thanks for everyone's advise..Ill keep ya updated..

Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Sorry, that would be me. I had no idea, or else I would not have suggested it.
but that turned yesterday into a GOOD day.... any day you learn something new is a GOOD day....

poor gunnar.... hope he mends soon..... i have a pretzel dog myself....

and sure hope this vet does realize the mistake(s) she has made and makes them right, never to be repeated......

Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Certified Vet Tech in 1998. Been doing rescue work for 15 years now with my vet teaching me along the way.

To the OP - I did miss where you put the e-collar on and he still got to it. Flexible bugger you've got there!

Last edited by Keeper; 05-02-2010 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Certified Vet Tech in 1998. Been doing rescue work for 15 years now with my vet teaching me along the way.

To the OP - I did miss where you put the e-collar on and he still got to it. Flexible bugger you've got there!
Yes he is.. lol He has drove us crazy with this.. he is finally starting to heal thank god.. but at the Vet sat the dr must have done something to make it bleed more.. errgggggggghhhhhhh ..The whole thing was still swollen and she was squeezing it or something because he has been bleeding and weeping more, but his male parts have now gone down... so I think this was a good thing. I think as for the ecollar when he would turn and get to the wound it would also scratch the area and this could be what has caused some of the bleeding and of course him licking on it and nibbling to get the staples out, didn't help either..so hopefully by the end of this week and will be healed up.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Poor baby! I hope he is all healed up by the end of the week.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:11 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,677 times
Sorry you are going through this, but it is extremely common in dogs not neutered before puberty. ESPECIALLY large breed dogs with lots of thin scrotal sac tissue. The enlarged sac makes a nice pocket for fluid to build up in and coupled with irritation from a dog determined to get to the area it can be a real mess. Don't know why it was initially bleeding, they may have missed something, but really the laser is used more for the incisions in male neuters, and lasers do a great job of not letting things bleed by design. If your dog is having issues still, you can clean the area with betadyne and water mixed to look like iced tea. Usually with older male dogs, it is best to leave it alone to dry up and have no further irritation, but to be on an oral antibiotic - the antibiotic will help the most. The more you do to the area, the more he wants to pay attention to it. No creams, nothing. If he needs the fluid drained he needs to be seeing the vet, but the more attention he pays to it, the more fluid buildup. He needs to leave it alone. Maybe your vet knows someone with a bitenot collar instead of the elizabethan collar. We used those with houdinis that were that determined to destroy surgical masterpieces.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
Sorry you are going through this, but it is extremely common in dogs not neutered before puberty. ESPECIALLY large breed dogs with lots of thin scrotal sac tissue. The enlarged sac makes a nice pocket for fluid to build up in and coupled with irritation from a dog determined to get to the area it can be a real mess. Don't know why it was initially bleeding, they may have missed something, but really the laser is used more for the incisions in male neuters, and lasers do a great job of not letting things bleed by design. If your dog is having issues still, you can clean the area with betadyne and water mixed to look like iced tea. Usually with older male dogs, it is best to leave it alone to dry up and have no further irritation, but to be on an oral antibiotic - the antibiotic will help the most. The more you do to the area, the more he wants to pay attention to it. No creams, nothing. If he needs the fluid drained he needs to be seeing the vet, but the more attention he pays to it, the more fluid buildup. He needs to leave it alone. Maybe your vet knows someone with a bitenot collar instead of the elizabethan collar. We used those with houdinis that were that determined to destroy surgical masterpieces.
First Thanks Ringo1

Thanks tigafan...Gunnar really isn't that old.. he will be 2 in June..but he is a very big dog.
I can understand the swelling due to the two surgeries, him pulling the staples then stitches out then again pulling staples out after a 3rd time of being put in. It's just been a real pain not only for us but mainly for him. And yes it was allot of fluid buildup in there and he was very bruised from all this.. and like I said the dr must have done something to make the stuff seep out more because they are back to the normal size..which is good!..funny Gunnar didn't have near as big of a scrotal sac as his daddy did.. man even guys would comment on how big Duke was..lol And Duke never had any of these issues and he was neutered just last year and he is 3, and he was neutered the normal way to. I just have to say that it doesn't look good on this doctors behalf for us to see her for the very first time and this happens...I am not holding it against her to much..and she will still see our dogs but for surgeries we will take them else where. We just can't risk something like this happening again. I think she is a very nice doctor who might have made a mistake (I know they happen, even regular doctors make mistakes!) and if she did she needs to own up to it. Just judging by her expressions when she seen him Sat makes me think she knows she did something wrong..Specially since all his blood work and the clotting test results came back normal. I duno maybe it seems like Im over reacting a bit but I would have done the same for my daughters.. the danes are my babies just like having 4 extra kids..
Oh and I will try the betadyne and water mixed.. Thanks!

Pics of 3 of them.. Sadie the moma isn't in this pic..
from left to right
sister Mia, Gunnar (in the middle) and his daddy Duke.. the second pic is Sadie(she is black and white) and Mia is along side her..
Attached Thumbnails
Ok Got a question about my dog..-copy-dscn0532.jpg   Ok Got a question about my dog..-dscf5883.jpg  

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,677 times
Wow, they are gorgeous!! And I don't mean OLDER like in extremely aged, but as dogs get older, the sac thins and hangs more...has more 'area' that the body wants to try and 'fill up' and ups the risk of having fluid 'issues' post neutering. Yes, a lot of dogs can get neutered fine and have no issues, but some are more oblivious to the area or can just handle it better, but the older they are (past the age of PUBERTY) the more they pay attention to it....you might want to look around for that BITENOT collar, if he is continuing. One of the best inventions for pretzel dogs. But each day that he remains not swollen is GREAT news. Closer and closer to healed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs