Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 PM

11 posts, read 21,711 times

Advertisements

Do you take your pets along with you whenever you're going away for sometimes, say a vacation somewhere? How do you find the hotels concerning pets' hospitality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
If we drive, then yes. CA is a very dog-friendly state and we've never had issues finding pet-friendly accommodations, restaurants, sights, etc. Kimpton hotels and I think most, if not all, Hiltons accept pets, as does Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, and Quality Inn. The last place we stayed at was a Westin in LA and he even got his own bed from the hotel! Check out these sites for dog-friendly hotels as well as restaurants, etc., in whatever area you're traveling to.

DogFriendly.com® - Pet Travel Guides and City Guides for Dog/Pet Owners

Dog, Cat & Other Pet Friendly Hotels at Petswelcome.com

Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
yep .... bailey has been to 7 (8?) states so far.... will be hitting her 8th (9th?) state today.......

Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times
Two of my dogs have been to 17 states and the newest addition has been to 11. With 3 bigger dogs (2 Siberians and a GSD mix) I can't always find hotels that will accommodate us so, we've done a lot of camping while on the road.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:32 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We always take our dogs if we are driving. I have found hotels and motels very accommodating, especially making sure that we are either on the first floor or near an elevator.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
My husband is a hauler, Rita, our EB goes with him. She has been to just about every state and Canada. They sleep in the truck most of the time, once in awhile they get a motel. As for all of us going, if we aren't flying or doing a bike trip then yes the dogs go with us. We will be going to NC for a week or so and the dogs will go. There are a lot of places that accept dogs. In Aug. I hope to get out to Oregon and see family, we will be leaving from Indiana, that will be the longest trip we all have made together. Should be fun!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Yes, if I drive. In fact, many times, I have chosen to drive so that my dog can come with me rather than have to board her. Pet-friendly hotels are usually just that. I've never had a problem with any hotel.

In fact, I have found VA to be the most pet-friendly and pet-conscious. One hotel that I have stayed at a couple of times is very proudly pet-friendly and dotes on my dog when we have stayed there (and it's a Comfort Inn!) Another time, it was 10:30 at night, I was exhausted, it was dark and I stopped at a hotel in Manassas. They accepted pets but had no occupancy b/c there was a convention in town. The clerk at this hotel saw how tired, disheartened and anxious I was and called around to a bunch of hotels to see if they were pet-friendly and had vacancies. He finally found one three exits away, and they were more than gracious and friendly.

I guess the moral of the story is that, yes, there are many pet-friendly hotels all over the country. But call and make reservations first

Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 AM

92 posts, read 208,263 times
We take our pets with us everywhere whether we fly or drive. We have stayed at so many different dog friendly hotels all over the country including but not limited to La Quinta, Residence Inn, Candlewood Suites, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, and more! We do have to call ahead and check that the hotels we stay at will allow larger dogs since one of ours is 60 lbs and a lot of "pet friendly" hotels have weight limits of 25-35 lbs which is a tad inconvenient for those of us with larger dogs.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:02 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,059 times
For the budget minded, many Motel 6 and Super 8 motels have liberal dog policies, at least in Southern California and Arizona in my experience. Of course there's a small deposit required in case your dog makes one. Disposable pee pads are handy, too. Calling ahead makes sense because a first floor room is very convenient for sniff time. Some desk clerks even hand out yummies. We've traveled with 50 to 70 pound dogs over the years. Even standing in line in the lobby, folks will smile and reach over to interact with our dog. Great social ice breaker.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
I have taken vacation in the past with my dogs. I did make some reservations ahead of time, but when I didn't I called Holiday Inn while on the road asking where there next hotel location was accepting large dogs. It was actually pretty simple as they're not usually far apart and they had no problem with the dog, just a small deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs