Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

I took in a dog from a co-worker that lost his home recently. I had the dog fully vetted, as he'd never had it to the vet. Four days or so after he was vetted he went to his new home.

Two days after they took him home they said it wasn't eating. I asked if he was eating nothing at all or if he wasn't eating as much as they thought he was. He's well over 100 pounds and could stand to gain a few pounds. But he's also a major couch potato and so many people think they should put away 20 pounds of dog food each day. She said he's eating, just not much and she didn't think it was enough. I told her Newfies don't eat that much. Suggested things she can do to entice him to eat more and such but told her if she thought it was more than that to take him to the vet and have the vet call me.

Two days after that I started getting e-mails from them saying they weren't sure if it was going to work out and they wanted to know what to do. Their sheltie had been attacking the adopted dog. I told them it wasn't a decision I could make for them but I'd support what they chose. I suggested training for their dog as they said there was no aggression at all in the dog they adopted from us.

Ultimately they decided it wasn't go to work and Jack had to come back. When I first brought him in I had two approved applications and two approved home visits. I called the second adopter and they still wanted to adopt him. They did and her husband works thirty minutes from the adopters so they just picked him up and brought him home. It worked great. Until......

The second adopter called and said Jack is very sick. His scrotal sac is swollen to the size of a grapefruit. He's passing blood in his stool - a lot of it. The vet did a ton of blood work and started him on three meds. In the middle of it all we had a monster storm blow through with wicked tornadoes. The vet had to evacuate the clinic so they sent him home with all the meds. We should know more on Monday.

Today I log in and get an e-mail from the first adopter asking when she can expect the adoption fee back! First of all, when they adopted him we went over the contract that says the fees are not refundable. Second, the dog was very ill thanks to them. They even told the new adopters his sac was very swollen, so they knew there was a problem and did nothing. Now I've got some monster vet bills piling up! And she wants her adoption fee back?

Does anyone think I'm being unreasonable in not giving the fee back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
if they signed a contract saying the fee is non refundable, then it's non refundable. seems simple enough to me.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
to me too ..... especially if they knew he was already ill (which apparently they did) and were just trying to pawn him off on someone to avoid vet bills.......

i have had to treat dave for 3 infections so far in the 8 months since he has joined our family..... one he had when i brought him home..... still, i would never even think of giving him back because of that.....

Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
No refund is warranted - the breed specific rescues I work with do not refund the adoption fee.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
No refund! You did all the work of vetting him and checking them. Too bad, so sad.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Nope. They should have read the contract. It read 'non-refundable'. Direct them to the contract and forget about them.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
NO refund. Tell them to go pound sand. Ignoramuses! Aren't you glad the Newfie's out of that rat hole!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
I second, third, fourth no refund! It's in the contract!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I agree...I wouldn't give them a dime AND me being me, would probably point out that this dog is very sick probably due to something they had done to the poor thing while he was in their care.

I feel for the poor baby. Please keep us updated on his health and I would LOVE to see pictures.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Add me to the no refund list. They don't deserve a dime back.

Last edited by kahncss; 05-02-2010 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs