Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 PM

45 posts, read 80,291 times

Advertisements

A Schnauzer? Lots of allergic people I know have them and have no problems. Also, Poodles, even though I kinda despise Poodles.

You might also want to consider a Boston Terrier. They often shed lightly, but they are a great beginner breed.

Pugs are HEAVY shedders; this is the main reason why I'm battling my 5 yo over getting one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,649,331 times
all dogs shed, really, some just shed a lot less than others.

i never liked poodles because of their reputation as a foo foo dog and the ridiculous haircuts they have in dog shows, but i've met some at the dog park and they are really fun dogs. really doggy, if you know what i'm saying. i mean, they *are* a sporting breed!

a friend of mine has allergies and got a bichon who he can deal with just fine. it really just is a matter of finding the right breed, possibly even the right individual dog, who doesn't bother your allergies. and i'm not positive and i wouldn't count on it, but i think people with allergies can sort of build up an immunity to their pets once they've lived with them for a while.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
You can build up a tolerance to allergens from a particular animal, even if you have allergies, in some cases. It's how my brother has been able to live with his wife's cat for the past five years, when in the past, infrequent association with cats would leave him red-eyed and wheezy. Not everyone will, of course, but mild allergies can sometimes be desensitized this way.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM

371 posts, read 1,360,104 times
You guys are correct that one can build immunity to one's own pets. I am also allergic to cats, but I have two of them. While I can't stick my face in their fur or let them sleep on my bed, I can pet them and live with them without much suffering. But if I'm around any other cats, I need my inhaler. So that's a good sign.

Quote:
Also, Poodles, even though I kinda despise Poodles.
I'd love to hear why. I have no experience with them and hear mixed messages. It seems like people that have negative things to say are mostly referring to the small/toy poodles. People with the larger poodles seem to have positive things to say. Is that your experience? I wonder what would make the smaller ones different?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:14 PM

46 posts, read 104,370 times
I would suggest a rescue or shelter ... many of them can tell you if an adult dog is child/ cat safe although I have always preferred getting puppies and raising them as family I understand that not everyone wants a puppy and adult rescues can and do often make wonderful family pets. I have heard it said that a "mutt" is often preferred over a specific breed or pedigree for temperament.. again just something I have heard. I personally have had pedigree dogs and mutts .. all turned out to be wonderful loving pets of these I found the rescues to perhaps be the best pets.. it is as if they are almost extra grateful for the human that rescued them. Good luck.. take your time and I am sure you will find the right pet for your family.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM

438 posts, read 945,624 times
I recently adopted a rat terrier. My boyfriend is mildly allergic to dogs but has no problem around this one...can sleep in the same bed and everything. The dog is friendly with kids and cats, doesn't bark very much either.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM

553 posts, read 1,629,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Here are my ridiculous stringent needs and wants:

1. I'm moderately allergic to dogs, so low to no shedding would be essential. I know no dog is 100% "hypoallergenic", so please know that's not what I'm asking for .. I'm just asking for the best possibility.

2. Won't consider my two cats "prey" (I know that's mostly training, but I would imagine some breeds are more/less likely to leave cats alone ... less "hunter-like")

3. Won't consider my two kids "prey" LOL. Again, training is key (of all the creatures involved, human and pet alike) but I'm looking for dogs not traditionally known for being "snippy", "mouthy", "biters", "aggressive", "defensive", "jittery" etc ... all those things that make them and kids not get along.

4. Size doesn't matter in the end, but too small (under 10 pounds) or too big (over 40 pounds) starts to not feel so great to me, though this isn't a big deal.

5. First time dog owner here (though husband has had dogs before) and I'm wondering if there are dogs more suited to the uninitiated! (like, for example, I probably shouldn't try to handle a pitbull or something)

Then some questions....

- I don't care about getting a puppy or young adult, but keep wondering if puppy wouldn't improve the chances of training a cat-friendly and child-friendly pet?

- How do people sort out traveling with their pet? What have your experiences been with hotels and air travel with your dogs. We don't travel much (in fact, we work from home), but twice a year, we do make a trip (by air) for one week or so; and have a few weekend trips during the summer (by car).

- Best books/ videos on puppy/dog training that I could start reading in preparation? I like to over-prepare!

You do have a lot of restrictions! It's better to address all of this upfront though!

As far as temperament, I think you would have luck contacting rescue groups who have had dogs in foster homes. Many foster homes have other dogs, cats and children, and the foster parents can get to know a dog's temperament.

Do a Google search for dogs who are "ok" for allergy sufferers. Try to spend at least a few hours "up close and personal" with the dog before you take it home. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but it would be pretty awful to get a dog and then have to rehome it because of allergies.

I would not put my pets on the plane for an occasional vacation, but we travel frequently, and we occasionally take both dogs. When we just had one dog, we took him almost everywhere with us. Many hotels are pet-friendly. We like Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn and some Hilton Brand Hotels. The pet policies seem to vary by hotel. One hotel that is pet-friendly everywhere is LaQuinta, but I prefer to stay at other hotels.

As far as training, I am sure other people have good recommendations, but it will also depend on the needs of the specific dog you get. You could get lucky and get a dog who is already trained!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM

371 posts, read 1,360,104 times
Quote:
I found the rescues to perhaps be the best pets.. it is as if they are almost extra grateful for the human that rescued them.
That's been my experience even with my cats.

Quote:
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but it would be pretty awful to get a dog and then have to rehome it because of allergies.
Absolutely NOT insensitive. You are right on the money. It's the reason I'm obsessing and will continue to obsess over this for a while and take my time finding the right dog - and making sure to give the time for grooming, as that will reduce dander further. I'm a huge animal lover and my pets are a part of my family, so I will be very careful about this.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,514,124 times
low shedding dogs with laid back personalities: portugese water dogs (what Obama has), wheatan terriers, poodles. My sister in law is highly allergic with asthma but has a portugese water dog and hasn't had any allergic problems. Poodles are great dogs despite the stereotyping they get. If you want a dog that is good with cats, other dogs, people, get a puppy and expose that puppy to REGULAR interaction with cats, other dogs, and other people. Breeding is one aspect but early socialization is important. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs