Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:41 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yup. I'll go one step further. If you've ever seen a commercial for it, it's a definite NO!
except that blue is running commercials now ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:55 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
except that blue is running commercials now ......
I think the commercials are for Blue Buffalo, which is not good. The Wilderness doesn't need advertising!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
I feed my 6 dogs Chicken Soup and have ever had any problems due to the milk. I usually mix Taste of the wild in with it but not always.

The thing to remember is that if you feed the 'store' bought brand you also have to feed them more due to all the junk in that kibble.

Check the ingredients and read up on the dog food analysis. Anything with corn or wheat is a not good. Tractor Supply now has their own food that does not contain corn or wheat. Not a 6 star but not as bad as some food.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
We just adopted a 1 year old Wheaten terrier mix from a rescue, and I'm confused about what food to feed him. Its not in my budget to feed the top of the line expensive food, but I don't want to give him garbage either. The rescue did not have him very long, but in the time they had him, they were feeding Wellness, which looks a bit pricey. Any suggestions on something moderately priced but of a decent quality? I was looking at Authority at Petsmart, seems to be a pretty good price for the quality.
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul runs about $40 for a 35 pound bag, and it is a top quality kibble. You will ultimately pay less for a top quality kibble because 1) your dog will require less, because they are able to digest more; and 2) you will save money on vet bills because your dog isn't eating garbage.

So you can either pay more up front and save money later, or buy cheap and pay more money in the long run. It is your choice.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM

100 posts, read 550,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFamily2010 View Post
There is a Tractor Supply as well as a Farmers' Co-Op in our area. I'll have to check there for some better food for him.

He has begun not eating. I'm not sure what's going on with him, unless the other food is just clogging him up so to speak. Or maybe it's the hot weather? I really wish I could have him inside so I could watch him better, but that would be a disaster. We're just now getting to where he routinely follows me around the yard. Hopefully I get to pet him again soon.

I worry more about this fur-kid than I do myself!

We are very pleased with the quality of "Tractor Supply" brand. "4health Performance Formula" is what we bought this time around.

The first few listed ingredients are:

chicken, chicken meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat, egg product, beet pulp, flaxseed, natual chicken flavor, fish meal

Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven up View Post
We are very pleased with the quality of "Tractor Supply" brand. "4health Performance Formula" is what we bought this time around.

The first few listed ingredients are:

chicken, chicken meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat, egg product, beet pulp, flaxseed, natual chicken flavor, fish meal
I would not recommend this food! Here are the ingredients for the regular adult formula. And, it's only 24% protein, which is very low!

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, rice bran, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, egg product, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, natural chicken flavor, potassium chloride, salt, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, chondroitin sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-Carnitine, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

First, tons of grains. Dogs do not need brown rice, barley, white rice, and rice bran in their diet. By separating these ingredients, they are able to put them as #3, 4, 5, and 6 on the label when in fact, they make up the bulk of the food and if added up, grains would be the first ingredient.

Next, chicken fat. This has been linked to bloat, especially in large breed dogs.

Chicken flavor? If they used real chicken, they wouldn't need a lab made flabor.

Beet pulp causes tear stains, there are much better ways to add fiber to the food.

Potassium chloride is an artificial preservative. A natural way to preserve dog food is by using Vitamin E, which the better brands do.

Salt should never be added to dog food, ever. Dogs do not need the excess sodium.

Egg product? Really? Whole eggs, yes. Egg product? No!

There are much better foods out there, I'd keep looking! Even Costco's new grainless Nature's Domain is better than this! From what I can see on Tractor Supply's site, they only sell crap food. Science Diet, Nutro, Eukanuba, Beneful, Iams, Kibbles N Bits (really?), Pro Plan, Dog Chow...and among all that terrible stuff is Taste of the Wild...so if you do end up going there, I highly recommend you go with TOTW over any of the other stuff they sell!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM

100 posts, read 550,362 times
Costco's Nature Domain is 24% Protein as well.

If you recall the OP stated they are using Kibbles & Bits and it is getting expensive. Also, that they have a Tractor's Supply nearby.

TOTW is ten dollars more than the 4health Performance that we recommended @ 30% Protein and the 4health uses the same ingredient list as Kirkland.

So drive 50 miles each way and buy a Costco membership to buy the same thing.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven up View Post
Costco's Nature Domain is 24% Protein as well.

If you recall the OP stated they are using Kibbles & Bits and it is getting expensive. Also, that they have a Tractor's Supply nearby.

TOTW is ten dollars more than the 4health Performance that we recommended @ 30% Protein and the 4health uses the same ingredient list as Kirkland.

So drive 50 miles each way and buy a Costco membership to buy the same thing.
So buy TOTW at Tractor's Supply, since they do sell it. Nature's Domain is grainless, so at least all those grains are omitted. Not the best choice, but much better than TS food!

TOTW is $10 more, but you feed a lot less because it is grainless, so in essence, you save because the bag lasts you much longer. And 30% protein is much better than 24%. No need to fill your dog's belly with worthless rice and other grains, they are obligate carnivores and don't need a diet made primarily of fillers. And of course, there are the points I brought up in the above posts about the many questionable ingredients that TOTW does not have. If the OP is considering TS food, then they should just stick to Kibbles & Bits since the dog is already used to it. It's the same quality as 4 Health so there's no need to upset the dog's digestive system to go from a bad food to a bad food! Really, I can't imagine seeing those ingredients on a label and thinking it's a good choice for my dog.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:12 AM

250 posts, read 379,333 times
I can't believe that after seven pages no has mentioned RAW as an option. Cheaper and better than all manufactured dog food out there. IMHO. However, it's just another option and not for everyone.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
I can't believe that after seven pages no has mentioned RAW as an option. Cheaper and better than all manufactured dog food out there. IMHO. However, it's just another option and not for everyone.
I've mentioned raw time and time again in various threads, and it never goes over well. Works for us, is truly the best there is (and cheaper!) but many are turned off by it because pellets in a bag are much more convenient. So, I'll continue recommending pellets to other people's dogs while feeding my own raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs