Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

We have two dogs (Goldendoodles), ages 2 and 1. In the past we have bathed them ourselves but DW decided that they both need to be groomed so she took the younger one to a groomer this morning for a bath and trimming (the older one has an ear infection so we have to wait to get him done).

My wife just called and said that she picked the younger dog and brought him home and now the two dogs are growling at each other. The older one is trying to sniff the younger one and the younger one is growling back. The older one is growling back but also shaking and crying. She was so scared they were going to get into a fight that she put the younger one in his cage when she left for work to separate them.

Any idea what is going on. She thinks the older dog does not recognize the younger one because he has been cut and now smells different. Any suggestions? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Not uncommon at all. The groomed dog now smells differently than when it left. You can towel them both and exchange towels and do a rub down..or you can lightly powder them both with baby powder...I repeat...LIGHTLY...just enough to get a scent on them both...they will then both smell the same.....even if you do nothing...things will return to normal as soon as they both become accustomed to each others scent again. Happens all the time with dogs and cats when returning from an extended vet visit.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,424 times
Jay - can your wife leash them up and take them on a brisk walk around the neighborhood or local park? Maybe if they get out a bit with her, together, and get some exercise, they will settle down......I know dogs coming in from the groomer do indeed smell different....thankfully that doesn't last long.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:20 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,923 times
Bella has never been to the groomer and Buster use to go all the time when it was just him. He needed a haircut bad one day so I took him in and when I brought him back Bella was hesitent for a while that it was her brother because he smelled differently, and they didn't even use a perfume spray on him, just the shampoo they use (which honestly gives me a headache). It took her an hour or so to realize it was Buster....all the while Buster was rubbing himself all over the couch to get his normal scent back lol

Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
reading these posts, i am glad that bailey and dave are together for their first trip to the groomer.....

Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone. I will be going home later this afternoon and then seeing how they get along. If there is still a problem, I will try toweling them first and then the powder. My wife was scared so it is good she put the younger dog in his cage. She also put his blanket in there so maybe some of his old smell will rub off. Thanks again, Jay

Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Oh, I have 4 dogs and only one gets groomed, the cocker spaniel, and after I shave her down for the spring the other one's chase her all over the place like it's a new dog or something. And I do her here because I used to groom and have all the equipment. The one puts her mouth around her neck - very gently- but it's a sign to dominate and instigate.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM

That is kind of what is happening now. I let the younger one out of his cage when we got home and he seems to be protecting himself. We had him shaved down so he looks like a completely different dog. If he wasn't walking around the house with his blanket in his mouth, I would not know it was him. Thanks, Jay

Old 05-05-2010, 01:59 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is kind of what is happening now. I let the younger one out of his cage when we got home and he seems to be protecting himself. We had him shaved down so he looks like a completely different dog. If he wasn't walking around the house with his blanket in his mouth, I would not know it was him. Thanks, Jay
Watch him in the sun...Dogs do get sunburn. Their coats are their protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs