Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:56 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
If it is alone in the Carolinas, they would have to arrest every K9 unit police officer out there.....their vehicles are equipped to idle in the heat for hours on end.
granny - police dogs have a different set of rules....these dogs are considered officers of the law and therefore allowed to sit in a car that is running just like their human officer counterparts (My brother is in K-9 patrol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'll be making a solo road trip through the South this summer and bringing my dog along. I'm looking for some advice as far as making sure she's all right and what to do for practical things like eating and pit stops. I know I can't leave her in the car but I also wouldn't feel comfortable tying her up outside to go places.

Any tips are appreciated!
I don't see what the big deal is. I have travelled with my dog in the summer, in the south, and whenever we stop, she's fine in the car (I'm talking about gas stations or fast food--I usually get Subway when I'm on the road so that I don't gain ten lbs.)

I usually try to park in the shade, windows down (and I am usually only gone for *literally* five minutes) but she also gets out with me at gas stations to go potty.

If that isn't an option, you can do fast food drive thrus or you can do a supermarket run after you have stopped for the evening. A lot of pet-friendly hotels don't allow unattended pets in the room but some do. And by then (in the evening), it will have cooled down considerably and it is less dangerous for your pooch. I would recommend a small coller lunchbox with ice packs. You can also check out B&B's that allow pets; most usually allow pets to stay in the room by themselves.

I have to say that most people that I have run in to while on the road in the south are very dog-friendly. I also stop at rest stops, where you have to leash. They have dog runs at mearly all rest stops in the south, and there are even some more secluded spots where you can sit down at a picnic table for lunch.

Just remember to give lots of fresh water regularly. I usually fill up a gallon jug before I get on the road in the morning.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Well in most states, having a pet in the car exempts owners from idling laws. The idling laws were really meant to curtail noise and air pollution, not to keep pets out of cars.

But leaving a pet in the car does create a false sense of security. Usually leaving the key in the ignition means the doors must remain unlocked. So that means the pet is vulnerable to being stolen--either as the primary target or as an unintended ride-along if the car is stolen. Also, leaving the engine running can result in greater danger and damage if the pet accidentally moves the gear shift. Yes many cars these days won't allow the gear shift to move unless the break is engaged, but this also shouldn't be considered a safety net for your pet. And worst of all, too many people think that having the air vents blowing is a substitute for leaving the windows cracked. It's not. The engine could die, leaving the pet without air. Leaving the car with the engine off is generally safer for you and the rest of the world, and safer for your dog so long as you leave it in shade, with water and the windows cracked.

But I do think you should seriously consider whether or not your pet will actually enjoy this trip. Lots of pets get car sick. Even if they've been okay in the car for short trips, the constant movement can be really nauseating for pets. When you're with them, the trip is mostly boring for them. The can't enjoy the scenery because it is moving too fast, and they don't have enough to move around like they could at home--not running around, just moving around, like they would at home, walking from room to room. A few laps around a park at lunch time won't make up for the boredom. Worse, when you aren't with them, they will be very stressed out. Whenever you aren't with them, pets are in 'guarding mode'. But on the road, it is much more stressful for them--they are guarding an unfamiliar 'home' and in an unfamiliar environment, with far more potential dangers and threats. I really think you should consider leaving the pet at home with a sitter.

Last edited by kodaka; 05-06-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
I would never leave the dog in an unlocked car; only a locked one. You need both keys [guess what the remote does not work if the key is in the ignition]

They also make window guards so you can leave the windows rolled down with the dog inside but then you ONLY park in the shade AND you understand how the sun moves. That and a few O2 Cool battery operated fans and juciciously placed tarps.
bailey has been on summer road trips with me and i do the 2-key routine so i can leave the car running with the ac on while i RUN into a bathroom for my own potty break..... she is NEVER by herself for more than 3-4 minutes..... as far as food goes..... it is drive-through only in the summer.....

she also goes with me on errands around town, but i plan carefully to make sure that she is never by herself for long enough to get in trouble with the heat.... that said, i have come out to my car to find a nasty note about leaving my dog in there with the ac running and doors locked.... after being in a store for about 10 minutes..... even if the engine HAD died and the ac shut off, the car was cool enough when i went in that she would have been fine when i came out....

operative word is PLANNING.... knowing what you have to do or get and do or get it and get back to the car on the double......

Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times
There's plenty of drive thrus and also if going through small towns there should be plenty of small ice cream shop/hamburger joints that have outside dining so you don't have to eat in your car all of the time--heck most McDonalds have picnic tables--so we just order through the drive thru and then park and tie them to the table while we eat at the table.

I never leave my car running for A/C--I would be more apt to rolling down all windows---then park in the shade if possible and make it a quick bathroom trip.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
The only time I travelled alone with a pet was when we were moving from Florida to North Carolina. It was in July. I had the cat with me in the car and the dog was with my husband in the truck. We were always together except once when he was delayed in a long line at a weigh station. I ended up a half hour ahead of him. We talked and I was going to wait for him a particular rest stop. I also knew I wouldn't be able to wait for him to get there to make a bathroom run. So I put the air on the highest setting and when I got to the rest stop, I parked under a tree and cracked all the windows. I locked the car and made a run for it. I wasn't even gone five minutes and the car was still cold when I got back and the cat was fine. Not really because she hates the car, but physically fine.

We take our dog with us everywhere because of his age and health issues. We usually bring sandwiches or stop at the fast food places drive thru windows. We also throw in a case of water. It is easier with two people but I think it can be done alone. You just have to be quick.

I don't think I would leave the car running, just crack the windows.

When we do stop for the night, we leave the dog in the room. He doesn't bark and we just put the do not disturb sign on the room when we go to eat. We haven't had any problems in that regard.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
From years of experience with an SUV in the South.
Even leaving it in partial shade with liftgate open and windows all the way down.
It can get too hot.
No problems with the truck.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
bailey has been on summer road trips with me and i do the 2-key routine so i can leave the car running with the ac on while i RUN into a bathroom for my own potty break..... she is NEVER by herself for more than 3-4 minutes..... as far as food goes..... it is drive-through only in the summer.....

she also goes with me on errands around town, but i plan carefully to make sure that she is never by herself for long enough to get in trouble with the heat.... that said, i have come out to my car to find a nasty note about leaving my dog in there with the ac running and doors locked.... after being in a store for about 10 minutes..... even if the engine HAD died and the ac shut off, the car was cool enough when i went in that she would have been fine when i came out....

operative word is PLANNING.... knowing what you have to do or get and do or get it and get back to the car on the double......

I read something in a magazine, [can't recall detail] a gadget that measures how hot the temp inside your vehicle has become and then alerts you by some kind of remote. I'll have to Google it later 'cuz if it is available.. I'd like to get one too.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
They are very expensive

K9 Heat Alarm Pro

I use a wireless home thermometer when I am driving and my dog is in the back - good enough but most home wireless thermometers dont have the kind of range you would need to go in and out of buildings.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
From years of experience with an SUV in the South.
Even leaving it in partial shade with liftgate open and windows all the way down.
It can get too hot.
No problems with the truck.
That is very true. The only good thing about leaving the windows down is that the dog can jump out if it gets too hot (I know, I know--most would choose death rather than leave the car; another consideration for the OP). The temp gage/alarm is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs