Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:39 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times

Advertisements

I'll be making a solo road trip through the South this summer and bringing my dog along. I'm looking for some advice as far as making sure she's all right and what to do for practical things like eating and pit stops. I know I can't leave her in the car but I also wouldn't feel comfortable tying her up outside to go places.

Any tips are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Not much to say,its very inconvenient to drag a dog along on a road trip as you cant leave it in the car so it has to come every where you go and there are so many places where dogs arent allowed or its too inconvenient to go there (Thinking Walmart)
Good luck

Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Hmmmm, as much as I understand that you'd love your dog to come along as company for you, this sounds like a rough ride for your pup.

Summers are hot. Summers in the south are STINKIN' hot. Even if you could/would tie her up so you could go places (which you shouldn't/wouldn't -- she could be taken! and she'd be distressed being left alone like that, I'd imagine), she's going to be outside in the heat. Even with water, this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Maybe find a pet sitter for her so she can stay at home while you go enjoy yourself?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
That is why I have a truck now with a camper with a locking crate and set up to keep a dog cool.

But - you can leave the car locked and running with the A/C for short errands and check on it every few minutes - that is what those of us who have working dogs in the South and still have to attend to such things - do. Obviously that is not for anything more than a few minutes and where we eat, someone is usually out there checking on the dogs every 10-15 minutes.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Lot of states now have anti idling laws,usually idling for more than 3 minutes in a passenger car gets you a ticket, i doubt its rigorously enforced but you might want to check local bylaws on the issue.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
That is why I have a truck now with a camper with a locking crate and set up to keep a dog cool.

But - you can leave the car locked and running with the A/C for short errands and check on it every few minutes - that is what those of us who have working dogs in the South and still have to attend to such things - do. Obviously that is not for anything more than a few minutes and where we eat, someone is usually out there checking on the dogs every 10-15 minutes.

I left Buster in a running car, doors unlocked for 2 min when I ran into the gas station and he locked himself in the car! I will never do that again!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM

I would never leave the dog in an unlocked car; only a locked one. You need both keys [guess what the remote does not work if the key is in the ignition]

They also make window guards so you can leave the windows rolled down with the dog inside but then you ONLY park in the shade AND you understand how the sun moves. That and a few O2 Cool battery operated fans and juciciously placed tarps.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Hm, looks like it's plastic bottles and drive thrus for me :P

Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,303 times
We have used the double key approach with idling/ac if we have to leave our dogs in the car for a short jaunt into a store.....but here in Texas, in our area, it is apparently against the law to leave a dog in a car, alone, while it is idling. Our son was given a stiff warning and promise of a citation if he did it again with his docile golden retriever.

So our deal is - we travel in two's (human) so that someone is always with the dog/car, if the other has to go inside.......that means we picnic along the way after picking up meals 'to go' - or we go back to the hotel and eat in our room, etc.......we travel a lot with our dogs - all year long - and it's doable - but takes some advance 'thinking' to pull off safely for all - safe travels - and have fun!

I have traveled alone with TWO of our large dogs from Texas to Maryland and back to Texas - and we did just fine Two days of driving to, 6 nights in a hotel, two days of driving back.....a good time was had by all and we found some of the neatest parks to stretch our legs - and we factored that in - longer rest stops so that we could leash walk 1/2 mile or so to get the system moving For my bathroom breaks, I found old fashioned gas stations with exterior restrooms and either parked the car right next to the door, or took the dogs into the restroom with me in that setup. You really can't leave your dog alone much when traveling - including your hotel room - but you just have to think "dog goes" everytime you set foot outside....and more and more there are dog friendly options for those of us who enjoy having our dogs with us on the road! You can google this too!

Oh - and be sure you pack gallon jugs of water, and a bowl for your dog - so that he's always hydrated on your stops! I also portioned their daily meals in individual zip loc bags to make nightly feeding easier.

One more thought - be sure you take a 20' or 30' long line with you - so your dog can get a bit of zoomies out while safely on lead if necessary!

Last edited by Rottnboys; 05-06-2010 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM

If it is alone in the Carolinas, they would have to arrest every K9 unit police officer out there.....their vehicles are equipped to idle in the heat for hours on end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs