Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times

Advertisements

So to be clear - no one would take more than 200.00 cargo ticket. Since there can be no monetary value placed on your pet - you wouldn't take any amount of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
This is why I fully support the end of airlines allowing pets to go on schedule flights. people are too emotional and could care less about FACTS. So its in the airlines best interest to just stop carrying them. This is similar to the issues airlines had transporting pets in the cabin to Hawaii. Owners created so many problems that no airline will now allow pets in the cabin (service dogs excluded) and some have just said screw it and wont transport pets at all. Everyone is quick to jump on the airlines but remain very silent when it comes to FACTS or when an OWNER's stupidity caused a death of the animal while in transit. I don't see any comments or post on deaths or injuries of pets while flying due to the owner's negligence. Oh, thats right, its not about truth, its about emotions! FYI, 15 pets died in transit between Jan 2010 and March 2010 due 100% to owners stupidity!
While I don't agree with your criticisms re: pet owners, I do agree that it might be time that pets no longer fly with their owners. I love the idea of pet transport companies b/c they are such a better solution than having pets fly either cargo or even in the cabin. The people who work for these companies are usually trained pros who have extensive knowledge of animals and are with them throughout the entire flight. It is a much better solution than leaving it to people who may or may not be able to care properly for an animal who is flying.

But I am curious about "owner stupidity"? How exactly did those animals die due to negligence on behalf of the owners?

And FYI, I think that you need to look at your own post in which exclamation points and CAPS abound before you criticize other people for being emotional and biased; it is very clear that you either work or have worked for an airline and that you are just as emotional as others about this issue.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
This isn't the first time that Delta has "lost" a dog in their care. If anyone remembers back in 2006 they "lost" Vivi the whippet showdog returned from the Westminster show in NYC.
Vivi was never found. I can only hope she was picked up and taken to a home. The week she was lost was bitterly cold in NYC.
Delta paid $2800 to the dogs owner for liability and also contributed $2000 to the search fund.

Off all the major commercial carriers I would never use Delta.
I only drive with my dog as she's too big to go under seat. If I can't drive I find someone to care for her in her home.
I'm curious if anyone has heard anything more about Pet Airways. They are small but are totally dedicated it seems to pets not people.
both of my dogs are way too large to fly in the cabin..... so if we can't drive, they stay home or stay with a friend who has her own dog......

i know that animals fly cargo every day, but i am just not willing to take that chance......

Old 05-09-2010, 11:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I'd insist on them sending my carrier back. I have a feeling they don't know where that's at either. The poor dog is probably starving to death somewhere locked inside it!
I thought about that and it turns my stomach. This is totally unexceptabe! I would harass Delta until they found my dog. A few years ago, I shipped 3 ferrets to New Jersey and Delta lost them! Every phone call I made, the person was quick to blame the other. I called Atanta airport every 2 hrs for an update. After 36 hrs, Delta found the crate and they were shipped. The shipping cost was waved, but the ferrets were starving and stressed.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I love the idea of pet transport companies b/c they are such a better solution than having pets fly either cargo or even in the cabin. The people who work for these companies are usually trained pros who have extensive knowledge of animals and are with them throughout the entire flight. It is a much better solution than leaving it to people who may or may not be able to care properly for an animal who is flying
Just make sure you really know how the pet is getting transported. You would be surprised how many of these companies ship pets as baggage or as cargo on regular scheduled passenger flights. When picking a transporter, ask question. Find out exactly what is done from the moment you hand them your pet until they deliver on the other end.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Just make sure you really know how the pet is getting transported. You would be surprised how many of these companies ship pets as baggage or as cargo on regular scheduled passenger flights. When picking a transporter, ask question. Find out exactly what is done from the moment you hand them your pet until they deliver on the other end.
good advice from the voice of experience.......

Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Very true. One of the reasons why I am so glad that we have CityData--to ask others about reliable companies and experiences they've had transporting pets. I never really trust the "testimonials" that companies put up on their websites.

That said, I wonder how much regulation pet transport companies are subject to. Is it the same, more, less than commercial airlines?

When I have read about the process on pet transport websites, I see that most companies state exactly how pets are going to be transported. Fortunately, even though I am sure that not every company is reliable, the majority of them seem to be honest.

But even so, I prefer to drive

Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
This is very heartbreaking!
After hearing this horror story and others before this one, I don't think I can use flying as a means of transportation unless I am able to keep a eye on my pup myself (currently, this can only mean in the cabin under the seat). But alas, Edison is a big mini schnuazer who could not comfortably sit underneath my seat. I could possibly buy him a seat if money were not an issue!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
I guess the answer depends on what you are calling a "pet transportation company"? The majority of companies that transport pets around the country/world, use regular scheduled passenger or cargo airlines. The pets travel just like any other animal would travel, subject to all the issues everyother pet would be subjected to.

The only other option is PetAirways, but there are problems even using them because their flights are hops and jumps which means the pet is subjected to several takeoffs and landings which some vets say is more traumatic than a single straight flight because it takes twice as long to reach a destination. And there are concerns about the stability of the airline, so people are shying away from advance bookings.

But for the most part, if you use a transporter and it involves air travel, the pets are going in the baggage hold of some commercial airline.

As for regulations, that's another issue but lets just say, commercial pets transportation follows a less strict set of rules. When you an individual tenders your pet for transportation, the rules for you and the airline are stricter and there are rules for the safety and health of the animal that does not pertain to commercial shippers of cargo which happens to be an animal.

FYI, I never worked for an airline but I do work for a world wide heavy-lift strategic air transportation company. Although we do have dogs aboard sometimes, most animals are much much bigger such as whales, gorillas, rino's, etc.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Although we do have dogs aboard sometimes, most animals are much much bigger such as whales, gorillas, rino's, etc.
wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs