Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times

Advertisements

Any dog left alone all day in the yard is not going to be happy JRT, beagle, whatever. Dogs are pack animals and need ongoing social interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
There's a very tiny female JRT owned by the groomer's where Ringo goes. He LOVES that dog; but she won't pay much attention to him anymore. She seems pretty calm while she is there; laying on her big chair (She's the Queen) while people come in and out. Not sure how old she is though; she might be a little older. She is such a cutie and I have never seen one so small.

I don't know what she's like outside of the grooming front office though.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
I fostered mostly JRT's with our rescue program, mostly because of the reasons you cited, and I can say with all honesty no two were the same ever.

There were two I nursed from heartworm that you have to keep real still and I thought, "Oh lord, what a challenge this is going to be." and I was absolutely suprised at how wonderful they were even when they recovered. They were calm and followed me everywhere and one I even adopted out to an elderly couple who I NEVER would have thought to put a jack russel and he stood next to her unleashed in the front yard while I drove off - just the sweetest dog.

There was ONE and only ONE that fit the bill you are were describing in your OP and she was maybe one but was a junk yard dog and never lived in a home before. That dog destroyed my entire house top to bottom. Ripped down all my front window blinds, learned to scale the drawer handles in the kitchen and get up on the counter and kicked off breaking bowls and things. She even learned to scale the fence and climb over it and the neighbors brought her back. I couldn't take her to events because she would jump up and down barking in the cage so bad the cage would come off the ground. I have to say in all my JRT fostering she was the exception to the rule. I turned down ten people from adopting her and she is now on a farm with a man who was raised with Jack russels right where she should be.

Any others were just like any other dog - they all have their own personalities. Please don't give up on this dog because of horror stories you've heard. You have this dog at an age that is trainable to your liking and I suggest taking it to a 6 week training course right off the bat.

I adopted one of my fosters, a min-pin and it took that dog a whole year before he came to me when I called him then one day last week he just came running and jumped in my arms. You just never know.

But if he hasn't shown any signs of anything but regular puppy behavior then I wouldn't trade him in they can be wonderful little dogs if they have the proper attention and training. Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions about them.

Last edited by Thursday007; 05-08-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,871 times
Some of this may be a repeat, but for FWIW. And props for asking/researching; some people just buy a dog with no thought as to its needs, esp for the breed (ie irresponsible idiots). Anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I have read that:

(1) These dogs arent good in home with children under 10
I'd say more like under 5. They are fine with kids IF the kids don't mistreat them - it's a JR, not a crazed pit bull - but I would not leave them alone with either child until they have an "established relationship" and until the kids are both old enough to know better in terms of what they can and can't get away with re the dog.

Quote:
(2) These dogs require alot of attention and daily exercise or else they get irritated and tend to be destructive
Yep and just like most dogs really (esp pups), but somewhat more so than most. They don't need CONSTANT attention or exercise, but they do need a good deal of it EVERY day. My gf leaves hers in the house alone when she's at work and he doesn't tear the place up - but she walks him before work and after work and otherwise gives him attention/exercise.

Quote:
(3) These dogs are not a good fit for first time dog owners
All depends on the owner. Long as you're aware of what you're getting.

Quote:
I leave him our big back yard all day so he is free to roam/run around, (I could take him for walks each day 3-4 times a week too) and I am a first time dog owner.
That's great but as stated it's not just about exercise; the dog needs SOCIAL interaction too. And it needs walked every day, not just here and there.

JRs are great dogs; intelligent, loyal, protective, and yes generally "fiesty." And while they are high energy, they aren't "hyperactive" IF you give them an outlet for their energy, including playing with them (in fact the kids as they get older should be great for that - they'll wear each other out ) - they don't just lay around all day like most dogs.

They are not dull, I'll tell you that.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM

45 posts, read 100,293 times
My "Jumpin Jack Flash" is definitely a gasgasgas! He's 61/2 months today and he's been a joyful handful! Definitely establish who's the alpha and training consistently is important!... they are extremely intelligent, loving and have more personality and or attitude than any other dog i've come across! Has been great with the grand kids..the 5yr old had him playing tag football the other day..threwball in the air..which ever one caught took off running until tagged and jack would drop and the 5yr old would set up again..jack nosed him on his calf and that was the grandsons signal to drop..if he didn't he got an earful of the infamous loud i'm talking to you jrt bark!!!....both exhausted...jackos been great with the babies extremely gentle, insists on a kiss when they come in the door and will leave them be....he learns fast but you have to be constant on it....watchclosely IF off the leash because they will suddenly decide "i can't hear you"..well basically family work together on training and sticking to it and it should be a wonderful ride!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
I've only had personal experience with one JRT, and it wasn't positive. Before I go into details, I'll just say that no two dogs are alike, and I do not like to generalize about any breed just because of a few bad examples. I'm sure there are absolutely wonderful JRT's that I just haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet.

Anyway, it was my ex-father in law's dog, and those two loved each other very much - to the point where ex-FIL was the only one who could approach him if there was any type of food or a toy anywhere near by. He had to be put away every time someone went to get something from the kitchen. One night as ex-FIL was sleeping (with the dog on the bed), the dog must have gotten startled or something because he attacked ex-FIL on the face while he was asleep, and he had to get a bunch of stitches on his lip and cheek. Another time he jumped out the window of a (slowly) moving car because he saw a cat in the neighbor's yard. luckily he wasn't hurt, but unluckily for the cat, because he caught it and killed it. Perhaps this dog would have turned out differently had his owners not been inexperienced dog people or if they had taken him to training classes or something. (They did hire a trainer, but all that did was teach the dog to respond to commands when given properly and did nothing to train the humans who lived with him).

Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,402 times
I have no experience with Jack Russell Terriers but am familiar with the breed. Lots of great advice has already been posted and I hope you make the right choice...not only for the dog but for your family as well.

I just wanted to add that your first sentence was the most troubling to me...dogs should never be brought home for a child. A child is NOT the one responsible for the day to day care of responsible pet ownership. Not the exercise requirements, feeding/watering, picking up dog waste, trips to the vet and the financial responsibilities all these incur. IMHO, it's imperative for both the dog and children be trained to co-exist together. Even the most laid back and well trained dog will have limitations when it comes to children poking their eyes, pulling tails, teasing and so on. I have five dogs and five grandchildren. I spent as much time training the grandchildren as I did my dogs and I'm happy to say all have been great together...because both know what's acceptable and what's not.

Again, just my opinion but I think you might want to wait until you're really ready to make the needed commitment to a dog before "bringing" one home again. Bringing a dog into a family requires homework before following thru. It's a commitment for the life of the dog. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
My experience with Jack Russell Terriers is ten years, four months. Our oldest Jack who was at least twelve years, four
months and a rescue from PetSmart, was at least 12.4 and such a wonderful, comical, smart, feisty and loving little dog
was he.
We didn't even know what he was, sitting there in that top cage on June 11, 2005, looking like he just lost his last friend.
He had just been neutered the day before..

What we didn't know at the time, was that a JRT Breeder from someplace in Texas, had one of their male breeder dogs
go missing at a rest stop in Turlock, CA...and that was where our Chaucer had been apprehended and put through the shelter care system. He was intact at the time of apprehension and offered for adoption. I responded immediately. To me he was just a cute little white dog with short legs who needed a home. I adopted him, put him in a PetSmart basket, and immediately went shopping with a PetSmart employee who would help supply us with all he needed then and there. First thing, he got a nice collar, leash, and harness, all matching. Then bowls, food, a crate, nice crate pad, toys and balls. I even found a couple little summer tanks for him to wear. We went home and husband found his name, Chaucer.
No longer just a number, he went to the Vet. on Monday in rough shape. He had been on his own long enough to contract Bordetella, tapeworm, and his sutures were infected. He also had pneumonia. So he got put on antibiotics, the dewormer, and follow-up appts made. We also did a heartworm test which was negative, and he got started on Frontline and HeartGuard Plus. One of the things I had picked up at the pet store included heavy duty large doggy bath wipes and he seemed so pleased to get the attention and brushed out. We still didn't know we had a white, shorty jack russell in our midst.
He was underweight and hungry, but not for long. Mom cooked up chicken, carrots, sweet potatoes and green beans and gave him pumpkin in addition to the food we bought for him and laced it with rice and vitamins. This twice a day. In a week he looked like a different dog, gained the much needed weight quickly. He was so happy! He walked well on a leash and pretty much did everything I asked of him, and that wasn't a whole lot. He despised our cat, so cat got a new home fast.
We had such good timess with the comical little character! And it was on one of these boards, around 2007 I heard that a breeder had lost a JRT at the Turlock Rest Stop on their way through CA. I was unable to find them and let them know that their dog had a stellar home, if the one we had was theirs previously.
Chaucer raised Russie, another rescue and a Jackapoo, from the age of four months to five years. Together they raised Chelsea, for when Chaucer was about ten by our calculations, he had a run-in with an enlarged liver and wasn't given much hope..but he was put on a regimen of Atopica, had a liver scan and ultrasound-guided biopsy which showed no malignancy and the brave little gent also received Thyroid and then some pain meds. when x-rays showed he had some arthritis in his spine and rear legs. All we did for two more years and four more months was love him and give him a good diet and his meds. Chelsea grew to be a highstrung JRT who only prefers my husband, so we cope. And I obtained Regis, a NIDAD Diabetic Alert Dog, to help me with my own diagnosis. Regis loves all the Jacks.
10-20-15. Chaucer passed away in his sleep. Daughter and I could NOT stop crying for over a week. Still we do, sporadically...hmmm, was there another Jack like Chaucer in the world who needed a home? I began searching online.
PAYDAY! on PurebredBreeders.com there was a Jack Puppy who looked EXACTLY Like Chaucer! She was nine months old and her name was Angeline. We inquired. She was from Texas and her parents had been obtained from the now-retired breeders who had lost a male Jack in Turlock, CA, over a decade before!
Momma moved fast. I found that Angeline is indeed Chaucer's bloodline, and I adopted her. She has been home a week now, and it is like seeing Chaucer as a puppy, which of course we never did. Her own name is Krystyna Angelina. We just had her spayed and she is recovering. I will always remember, along with my husband, the trip to Sacramento to the airport and pick her up. She isn't Chaucer, but I firmly believe that from the Rainbow Bridge he is watching, and somehow forces greater than we are helped to guide this little Messenger of the Angels into our realm.
Stranger things have happened, and sometimes Life is stranger than fiction. Chaucer will always have a special place in our hearts, and now Angelina is helping fill some of the hole and staunch some of the tears that catch us at odd moments.
I think JRT's respond best when you have the right environment to give them attention, attention, and more attention. They need that. There is no such thing as a "bad" Jack Russell.The owners might not be the best at giving them what they need, what they demand, besides unconditional LOVE is unconditional acceptance of the breed and trying to educate yourself on what makes up these quirky, demanding little bundles of Joy.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 954 times
I have my little Jack Russell/Dachshund mix for almost 12 years now and have seen her around young kids and infants on several occasions.Of Course every Dog has its own personality but from my experience JRTs are one of the Family friendliest Dogs around.They're very smart and sensitive to their humans feelings and moods. I would suggest you just follow your Gut on this one. BTW a big back yard is fine if you also take your dog for walkies a couple of times per week to expand the territory. I came across this beautiful JRT website the other day with some awesome information on JRTs behavior and character and much more, I think you would enjoy it as well here it goes: [url]https://snoopdoggyworld.com[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs