Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times

Advertisements

My lab Ben (R.I.P) had a fetish for my underwear. I was very careful to put them in the laundry basket but sometime he'd get them anyways. Never passed thru, he'd eventually throw them up. After about the third or fourth time, my vet said, "You know they have stores in New Olreans that sell edible underwear?"

One more story - My ex-bf bought pigs ears for Ben. I knew the vet said not to feed rawhides and that's what they looked like so I called the vet to ask him if letting Ben have the pigs ears was ok. He said that he would rather Ben stick with the underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
My lab would eat things that I cannot post in public!

Let us just say that I quickly learned that for the bathroom I had to get one of those lidded "foot control" trash cans like in the Dr.'s office.

Labradors are without a doubt, 1/2 dog x 1/2 goat.

We had a lab when I was growing up that also ate underwear out of the laundry basket. She'd tip it over to get to them and would pass them very time. Pooper scooping was a colorful task (littl girls had colorful undies).

Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM

446 posts, read 831,303 times
So sorry to keep you guys hanging on the status of my baby. She's doing fine today. I picked up the food and water last night and I slept on the couch with her laying next to me all night. I barely slept because I kept checking to make sure she was breathing, etc. That's why I'm so late in responding.

The vet called at 8:30 this morning and I didn't answer. I just didn't want to speak to that man...I listened to his message and he said, "Hi Tom, just wanted to make sure things were back to normal with Zoe...let me hear from you."...He addressed it to Tom, my fiance, not to me! I was so pissed......I waited til Tom got home, had him listen to the message and he called him back, let the vet know Zoe is fine today and hung up.

I keep thinking how I was so desperate to find out what to do for my dog and first I have to get a lecture! I was frantic and I did not need to hear the things he said...they didn't make me more calm, they made things worse. If we didn't owe the guy money--another point, he lets us pay what we can when we can--I'd be looking for another vet, ASAP. We get him paid off and I think we're done with him. He could have apologized, he could have said, "Sandy, wondering how Zoe is..." He KNOWS I don't work right now due to my health problems, so he knew when he called the home number who was going to be there.

I think he's a bit chauvenistic (sp?)....he always has seemed patronizing to me and I've always felt uncomfortable talking to him. There were times he's been kind to me, especially when it came time to put my dog down last year, and our cats that we loved so much....but I always ask my bf to talk to him because he just makes me feel.......what's the word...incompetent. I guess that's right.

He's a mobile vet, he'll come here and see our fur babies or we can bring them in....no extra charge for coming to the house. Plus allowing us to pay what we can is a BIG thing...most vets do not do this.

I could just do without the "woman is beneath man" thing he seems to emit every time I speak to him.

Guess ya can't have everything.

Thanks again for listening to me in my most frantic state. It's great to know there are fantastic people on this board who will understand just about anything one goes through related to their fur babies.

BTW, my dogs eat several things that just GROSS us out. They'll eat anything, just about. We do know for sure Zoe loves Yogurt covered raisins! LOL

Hugs to all of you!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
That is good news about Zoey, very good news. Glad you both are doing better today.

At least the vet followed up. You are correct, most vets do not allow personalized payment schedules nor do most vets make "house calls" without charging a hefty fee for such services. Sounds like perhaps his intentions are correct and heart is in the right place but that he is short on interpersonal communication skills. This could be why you vet chose to be an animal doctor rather than a people doctor? Just a thought.

Anyway, good news! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Glad all is good. Vet calling back was good but directing message to Fiancee was weird,unless he knew he upset you enough not want to get a earful. Maybe addressed Fiancee though as he usually the one with the questions. Looking down on you as a lesser person just because female is B.S. You are with the critters more and know when something is wrong faster as know all about em.

I use a vet comes gives my animals rabies and such and only 10 dollar service call. Lot's cheaper than making four to five trips to vet office as have 9 now was at 15 one time and he half hour away.

My old Vet got mad as vaccinate all I can myself as litter price was 200.00 every time got puppy shots and do myself for under 100 easy.

Was 60 office visit fee to go in there and then constantly wanted to do blood and stool sample testing which was always extra.

Hope water and food back in her system and going bathroom good now.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
Glad to hear your dog and you are doing better today.
As for the vet...its too bad that he provides all those extras. But maybe, just maybe he will apologize at a later time, perhaps?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Great news! I am very glad she is doing better!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,656 times
I'm so glad that your girl is doing well and your stress level has been greatly reduced.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,263 times
Sandy I'm so happy that your baby is doing better today. There is nothing more stressful then waiting the hours to see improvement. Pupster probably has no idea of the stress he caused!
Give him a hug and pet from me (and everyone else on the forum!)

Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,677 times
Glad everything is going so well. As your vet has always been so kind to you, maybe you can deem him human (as he has been frequently when you couldn't pay the whole bill) and let him off with a VERY BAD, INADEQUATE BEDSIDE MANNER DAY. He has been there for you through thick and thin while having the kindest attitude and maybe, just maybe he might be having hard times now, too. No excuse, I know, but I've been owed money before, and it DEFINITELY affected my attitude and was extremely hard to be upbeat to that person (a friend of mine that has ignored this for a while, let it go on for 8months) when other depressing things were going on at the same time.....it was just overwhelming. I know it isn't a good excuse, but sorry, I'm human. Let him off the hook. If he blows another chance.....you know what to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs