U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM

4,200 posts, read 9,880,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
The reasoning to spay before the first heat cycle is to prevent mammary tumors, which now will always be a concern to you. I'd like to know the problems caused by spaying before the first heat cycle. Old school thinking was to let them go through a cycle.
The above article regarding birth control for dogs explains the pros and cons of spaying. Moreover, many female dogs become incontinent when spayed too early. Furthermore, some dogs (like mine) have a family history of cancers that develop b/c of spaying, which affects hormone levels which can affect immunity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 PM

4,605 posts, read 5,564,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
The reasoning to spay before the first heat cycle is to prevent mammary tumors, which now will always be a concern to you. I'd like to know the problems caused by spaying before the first heat cycle. Old school thinking was to let them go through a cycle.
There are pros and cons on this subject. The link below has a very informative paper.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

Both my vet and the breeder are in favor of spaying after one year old. After talking to them and doing research of my own, that is my decision.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:03 AM

Well I went to Petsmart yesterday and the biggest size they had for the cloth diapers was a large. They are supposed to fit up to 55 lbs. Bella is 63. I got them anyway hoping they would fit but no way were they going around her big butt. I called around this morning and found XL at the Petsmart in the next town. I will be leaving shortly to return these and get the bigger ones. I sure hope they work. The velcro doesn't seem that strong.

Poor baby doesn't feel good. She is laying around alot. I have sheets/blankets/towels everywhere for her to lay on. Does she need some doggie midol? Just kidding.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:52 PM

10,090 posts, read 41,035,178 times
Probably too late...but you'd be better off buying the pants once...and then using the pads.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:03 PM

4,200 posts, read 9,880,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Well I went to Petsmart yesterday and the biggest size they had for the cloth diapers was a large. They are supposed to fit up to 55 lbs. Bella is 63. I got them anyway hoping they would fit but no way were they going around her big butt. I called around this morning and found XL at the Petsmart in the next town. I will be leaving shortly to return these and get the bigger ones. I sure hope they work. The velcro doesn't seem that strong.

Poor baby doesn't feel good. She is laying around alot. I have sheets/blankets/towels everywhere for her to lay on. Does she need some doggie midol? Just kidding.
These are the ones that I have:

Simple Solution Doggie Diaper Garment & Refill Pads - Training - Training & Behavior - PetSmart (For picture only)

And here's the link if you need to order them:

Simple Solution Reusable Female Diaper Garments at PETCO

Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Probably too late...but you'd be better off buying the pants once...and then using the pads.
I got the XL cloth diapers. It's on her now and she is doing well with it. Tried like heck to get it off but with distraction and "leave it" command I think we are good.

Very hard having an indoor dog on her rag. I look forward to having her spayed after she turn 1.

A little story....I'm not a girlie girl and so my Bella isn't a girlie dog. She is a beautiful yellow lab that has color from whilte to carmel. Her collar is brown with yellow edging. The vet techs have threatened that when Bella comes in for her surgery, they are going to paint her nails PINK.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Well she is tolerating the diaper. Doesn't like it but will leave it alone when Momma tell her to. Such the good girl.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 14,642,447 times
Default Pink Nails and a Pink Bandana.... !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I got the XL cloth diapers. It's on her now and she is doing well with it. Tried like heck to get it off but with distraction and "leave it" command I think we are good.

Very hard having an indoor dog on her rag. I look forward to having her spayed after she turn 1.

A little story....I'm not a girlie girl and so my Bella isn't a girlie dog. She is a beautiful yellow lab that has color from whilte to carmel. Her collar is brown with yellow edging. The vet techs have threatened that when Bella comes in for her surgery, they are going to paint her nails PINK.

Bella really is a pretty girl. She'd look great with pink nails!

I've always owned boy dogs except for two. One female was a GSD we had when I was a little girl and now I have a little girl Min Pin that showed up in our neighborhood in the middle of winter last year... (actually my neighbor found her and I volunteered to take her if he didn't find her owner)

Isn't it interesting how differently male and female dogs behave ???

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-16-2010 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Yes it's very different between the boys and the girls. She is not as snugglie but actually seems more protective. She actually growls if she see something outside that is different. It's nice to have a dog that actually lets me know that someone is in the yard or driveway. I'm very isolated to her deep bark is welcomed!!

Now as for actual follow thru...doubt it. She's a wus. LOL Which is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Poor Bella is very subdued. All she wants to do is lay around. Is this normal for a dog in heat? I know humans feel that way but didn't expect in with a dog. I could hardly get her to play at all this weekend. I know she doesn't like the diaper but even when I took it off and we went outside to hang out she didn't want to play. She stayed on the porch with me for around 45 minutes while I read. She didn't go out into the yard at all.

So is this normal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs