U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM

4,605 posts, read 5,545,297 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying............yes she will be getting fixed. And she is under constant supervision. And I don't have any male dogs. Did I cover all the bases? Just trying to make sure I don't get fussed at.

I know I will be asked so the reason I haven't had her fixed yet is that both the breeder and my vet feel that it is best to let her have 1 heat then fix her. So that is what I am doing.

I have never had a female dog before so this is the first time I am experiencing this. She is 9 months old. She started yesterday. I tried putting female underwear (with a hole cut for her tail) on her last night but that lasted about 30 seconds. I have a video. Might try to submit it to funniest video show. I think we could win.

So I guess I'll go after work today and check out the doggie diapers at Petsmart. If she got the panties off that quick will the diapers work?

Also how long will this last. I talked to the vet tech last night and she said it could last up to a month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM

4,154 posts, read 9,812,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Let me start by saying............yes she will be getting fixed. And she is under constant supervision. And I don't have any male dogs. Did I cover all the bases? Just trying to make sure I don't get fussed at.

I know I will be asked so the reason I haven't had her fixed yet is that both the breeder and my vet feel that it is best to let her have 1 heat then fix her. So that is what I am doing.

I have never had a female dog before so this is the first time I am experiencing this. She is 9 months old. She started yesterday. I tried putting female underwear (with a hole cut for her tail) on her last night but that lasted about 30 seconds. I have a video. Might try to submit it to funniest video show. I think we could win.

So I guess I'll go after work today and check out the doggie diapers at Petsmart. If she got the panties off that quick will the diapers work?

Also how long will this last. I talked to the vet tech last night and she said it could last up to a month.
Not to worry. Heat cycles are really not that difficult to manage.

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing that you tried to put human underwear on her (But hey, at least you got a funny video out of it). There is a reason why doggie diapers are specifically made for just such situations. You will see at the pet stores that most are made of very thick, durable material (mine are denim) and are held in place by kryptonite-strength velcro. So, yes, they work.

I suggest buying at least two so that you always have a clean one handy (you can wash one while the other is on the dog). While most people use unscented sanitary liners with them, I find that they still need to be washed frequently as female dogs tend to lick themselves a lot when in heat, and thus the diaper becomes wet (and stinky) with saliva as well as the natural odors of a dog in heat.

Heat cycles typically last three weeks. If you have carpet, I suggest Folex carpet stain remover for "accidents." You can buy it at Home Depot.

Also, make sure she remains very secure during her heat cycle. Especially when females are young, their scent during the heat cycle is very, very strong and males can pick it up from miles away. FYI, there is a shot that you can give her if she manages to be accidently bred. However, it needs to be given within 48-hours of known coitus in order to work.

I also applaud you for waiting to spay her. It is rather a nuisance but it may help your girl in the long run to be spayed later rather than sooner as there are many health problems associated with spaying too early. Good luck, and try to post the vid if you get a chance; I'm sure it's hilarious!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 AM

5,142 posts, read 12,545,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
FYI, there is a shot that you can give her if she manages to be accidently bred. However, it needs to be given within 48-hours of known coitus in order to work.
Morning after shot? I learn something new about dogs every day!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Not to worry. Heat cycles are really not that difficult to manage.

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing that you tried to put human underwear on her (But hey, at least you got a funny video out of it). There is a reason why doggie diapers are specifically made for just such situations. You will see at the pet stores that most are made of very thick, durable material (mine are denim) and are held in place by kryptonite-strength velcro. So, yes, they work.

I suggest buying at least two so that you always have a clean one handy (you can wash one while the other is on the dog). While most people use unscented sanitary liners with them, I find that they still need to be washed frequently as female dogs tend to lick themselves a lot when in heat, and thus the diaper becomes wet (and stinky) with saliva as well as the natural odors of a dog in heat.

Heat cycles typically last three weeks. If you have carpet, I suggest Folex carpet stain remover for "accidents." You can buy it at Home Depot.

Also, make sure she remains very secure during her heat cycle. Especially when females are young, their scent during the heat cycle is very, very strong and males can pick it up from miles away. FYI, there is a shot that you can give her if she manages to be accidently bred. However, it needs to be given within 48-hours of known coitus in order to work.

I also applaud you for waiting to spay her. It is rather a nuisance but it may help your girl in the long run to be spayed later rather than sooner as there are many health problems associated with spaying too early. Good luck, and try to post the vid if you get a chance; I'm sure it's hilarious!
Thanks so much for the info!! Glad to hear that the doggie undies really do work!! I will go after work today and get 2.

She is always very secure. I don't have a fenced in yard. It's an acre and I just can't afford it. If Bella goes outside, Momma goes out side. We are always together. I know there is an un-cut male down the street and he does tend to wander so I'm expecting a visit and have his owner's number ready. I am out in the sticks so not alot of dogs around. I figure I'll be meeting any males that I don't already know about.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,300,321 times
Bella needs to be leashed and you need a repellant spray if that male comes around - and he WILL!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 AM

10,090 posts, read 40,902,145 times
Dog Diapers, Belly Bands and Dog Pants, SeasonalsĀ® - Doggie Diapers for Dogs in Heat and Incontinent Dogs

And yes...they stay on....Petco and Petsmart have them...although not in all the pretty fancy colors! Having 2 will help....and hint: don't bother purchasing their "pads" that go with them. The our feminine hygiene pads work just well and cut them in half. Make sure they have the adhesive backing. Heats aren't all that bad.. But males will be hanging around....don't think you will be able to keep him off of her if your walking! They will come after her....plus her marking will bring more around. I would stick close to your back yard and have a stick ready.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 AM

4,154 posts, read 9,812,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Morning after shot? I learn something new about dogs every day!
There are many, many choices to prevent pregnancy in female dogs:

Dog Birth Control Options

I actually wonder why so many dogs are spayed when tubal ligation is an option. Aside from having to still deal with bleeding, it seems like a better option [wrt the dog's health] than spaying. However, I would definitely never consider doggie contraceptives; that list of side effects is frightening.

Also, while the shot is available, pyometriosis can develop from using it. They just haven't seemed to be able to yet perfect contraception for dogs. However, just making sure that a diaper is on will make coitus more difficult

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Bella needs to be leashed and you need a repellant spray if that male comes around - and he WILL!
I know he will come around. That's why I said that I have his owner's number ready. And yes, she will be on a lead.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Dog Diapers, Belly Bands and Dog Pants, SeasonalsĀ® - Doggie Diapers for Dogs in Heat and Incontinent Dogs

And yes...they stay on....Petco and Petsmart have them...although not in all the pretty fancy colors! Having 2 will help....and hint: don't bother purchasing their "pads" that go with them. The our feminine hygiene pads work just well and cut them in half. Make sure they have the adhesive backing. Heats aren't all that bad.. But males will be hanging around....don't think you will be able to keep him off of her if your walking! They will come after her....plus her marking will bring more around. I would stick close to your back yard and have a stick ready.
Thanks Shelby. I figured I couldn't walk her. I didn't last night. She really didn't seem to want to. Usually she will bug me until we do but last night she just brought me the ball a few times then sat and looked outside.

Good idea about the stick. I will put one by the back door so that I won't forget.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 PM

399 posts, read 2,188,373 times
The reasoning to spay before the first heat cycle is to prevent mammary tumors, which now will always be a concern to you. I'd like to know the problems caused by spaying before the first heat cycle. Old school thinking was to let them go through a cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs