Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM

142 posts, read 569,479 times

Advertisements

So I finally caved in and bought a Chuck it today, I have been wanting one for a while, I suck at throwing. It was a little pricey (like $13) but I figure it will last a while (unless my husband decides to use it for a sword fight or something). The dogs love it, and I love not having to touch the slobbered on dirty ball. But I think I am too short for it or something because unless I use it way above my head I end up throwing the ball into the ground lol, does anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,241,062 times
Do you have the long one or short one? I had a huge issue with the long one and I'm 5'10" so it's definitely not a height issue! I have since bought the short one and can throw without any issues.

The biggest problem with mine? PC prefers the actual thrower to the ball and will try to grab it every chance he gets. He seems to think it's the coolest stick in the world. That would be fine, except now when he sees anyone with it at the park, he will jump in the air and takes theirs too. So mine doesn't really get used for the intended purpose.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:19 AM

889 posts, read 2,703,148 times
Ha ha! Yes, I had a Chuck it! The kids broke it, not the dog. The short one does sound easier, as MAK802 said. I ended up using a side-arm throw. My problem was that my dog wouldn't "drop it." The dog I have now is a dream at dropping. So now that you reminded me, I may have to get another one. Have fun!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,908,790 times
I love the chuck it. I've had one for years. I had a ball crazy GSD that would chase balls all day if I threw them. And not having to pick up slobbery wet ones is a plus as well.

I have never had a problem with throwing the ball, in fact sometimes they got thrown a little to far. Just keep practicing before you know it you'll be a "chuck it throwing pro"

Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,510,739 times
I love the chuck it but am very frustrated that, while they make a smaller version, they won't make one with a bigger ball. I even wrote the company and asked. There are a lot of labs and GSDs that should really fetch a bigger ball.

I personally know of too many larger dogs that have choked on tennis balls and making one that would toss a 3 inch ball instead of a 2.5 inch tennis ball would be so much better.

So, for now, my GSDs are sticking with balls on strings because I can pop one of those out if we have an accident.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,666,280 times
I love the chuck-it also. My elbow was always sore and on the verge of swelling before I got it. Nothing keeps a retriever or a retrieving-driven dog well exercised quite like some strenuous ball chasing.

To really chuck-it requires a smidgen of athleticism. You have to "crack the whip" at just the right time to get the ball to really fly. For consistent, long throws that are not too high or do not go directly into the ground the trick is a smooth throwing action that isn't "too hard". You can also try side-arm or underhand throws, which is how my wife does it.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,065,506 times
Are there particular breeds that like the chuck it more so than others? Trying to teach my mini schnauzer fetch and he's having a hard time figuring it out. He's figured out all the other commands but this one is taking quite a while. Looks like some folks have a good grasp of how to use the chuck it to its potential. If you have any pointers, I'd love to hear them as well.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I love the chuck-it also. My elbow was always sore and on the verge of swelling before I got it. Nothing keeps a retriever or a retrieving-driven dog well exercised quite like some strenuous ball chasing.

To really chuck-it requires a smidgen of athleticism. You have to "crack the whip" at just the right time to get the ball to really fly. For consistent, long throws that are not too high or do not go directly into the ground the trick is a smooth throwing action that isn't "too hard". You can also try side-arm or underhand throws, which is how my wife does it.
This is what happened to me. I ended up with tennis elbow, very painful. Once I started using the chuck it, no more pain. I have a couple of them, I keep one in my truck.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Are there particular breeds that like the chuck it more so than others? Trying to teach my mini schnauzer fetch and he's having a hard time figuring it out. He's figured out all the other commands but this one is taking quite a while. Looks like some folks have a good grasp of how to use the chuck it to its potential. If you have any pointers, I'd love to hear them as well.
I just think that some dogs don't like to fetch or have no interest in it. You could take a tennis ball and cut it and put treats in it and see if that helps him with wanting to chase the ball.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 AM

848 posts, read 1,945,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Do you have the long one or short one? I had a huge issue with the long one and I'm 5'10" so it's definitely not a height issue! I have since bought the short one and can throw without any issues.

The biggest problem with mine? PC prefers the actual thrower to the ball and will try to grab it every chance he gets. He seems to think it's the coolest stick in the world. That would be fine, except now when he sees anyone with it at the park, he will jump in the air and takes theirs too. So mine doesn't really get used for the intended purpose.
I have the long one. Love it and have no trouble chucking the ball.

However, my problem is the same as yours. I'll chuck the ball and the dog will stand and watch it until it hits the ground then turn around and try to jump up and grab the thrower. If I tie something to the end of it and use it like a flirt pole she'll STILL lunge for the thrower.

One of these days I'm going to just toss the thrower and see if she'll go after it or jump on me to get the ball. She's a nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs