Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 AM

371 posts, read 1,357,902 times

Advertisements

Well, there might be a poodle coming my way. I applied to a rescue organization and they sent me a note saying they might have a poodle for me (I applied for poodle, bichon or shih tzu). I still don't know much about him other than he's a baby and likes other dogs and cats (key since i have cats). I'm not even sure if he's a standard, mini or toy. There will be a meeting for each side to learn more about the other and know if this is the right dog for us.

In the meantime, I've googled poodles 'till my eyes started rolling over. What is harder to find are personal experiences from poodle owners, or people that know people with a poodle or whatever other direct experiences people have had with poodles.

So, thought I'd tap into this wonderful resource and ask you folk to share all your experiences relating to poodles!

Thanks!

PS - please specific toy, mini or standard so I can discern whether there are any patterns common to one size and not the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,270,783 times
I grew up with 2 Standard Poodles. Mom was a snippy, high strung, one person dog(which was my Mom)....Her son was a layed back, easy going goofy dog...who was my constant side kick growing up. But he loved and adored everyone (if they had a lap to climb in)

Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 PM

Anyone else?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,889,569 times
I foster for a rescue group specializing in poodles. I've owned and fostered toys, minis and standards. Poodles are often characterized as "smart." In real terms, this means that they have an active and quick intelligence that manifests itself in ways other than simply being quick to learn tricks. They learn to read their owners, anticipate their owner's wishes and learn what to do and how to behave to gain attention. Thus, the very intelligence that makes them so special can make them difficult to manage if their owner isn't firm and consistent in training them and establishing and maintaining boundaries for their behavior.

Toys and minis suffer from this the most. Because they're cute and often cuddly snugglebugs, poor behavior is often excused and even indulged, resulting in yappy, snappy and territorial dogs. These dogs can be wonderful companions due to their almost-intuitive intelligence and eagerness to please.

Standards are generally very different from toys and minis in personality and behavior. Many if not most standards have high energy and high drive and good noses. They need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. Properly exercised, well trained standards are a joy to have in your household.

The indiscriminate litters produced by backyard breeders and puppymillers have increased the incidence of genetic issues in all sizes of poodle. Addison's, Cushing's, luxating patellas, epilepsy, Von Willebrand's, SA and PRA are some of the serious health issues poodles are prone to. Toys and minis are prone to dental problems, so regular brushing and dental cleaning is important.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. If you have questions, send me a DM.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 12,538,879 times
I have never owned a poodle but have gotten to know some that are in agility with us. The standards I have know have been big goof balls alot like Dazzle My Silken Windhound. The minitures I know tend to be a bit more serious but are fun loving dogs and they have all been in alot of obedience classes so are well behaved. The toy was a cute little guy and was friendly but spoiled as can be!
All are very smart dogs and as the above post states can read their owners very well and actually work them to their advantage. They have all been high energy dogs but that may also be because I am seeing them either at agility where they are having a ball or at the dog park where they are racing around playing.

Keep in mind that they do not shed but do reguire grooming and have hair that does need to be cut so there is some expense unless you learn to do it yourself. My favorite thing abount the standards is that big goofy grin once again just like my Dazzle as it is a grin that makes you smile and laugh. They seem to know that so know just when to use it!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 AM

Thanks, that's very helpful.

As for the grooming, all the dog breeds that I have been considering will require lots of grooming, so I am okay with that and am willing to take on the expense. Having said that, how hard is it to learn to do it yourself? Never hurts to save a buck or two. I would never do it at the dog's expense, but if I can learn, even better! I cut my kids' hairs for the same reason *grin*

Leorah, are you suggesting that the energy level of the standard vs. mini/toy varies? I'm trying to find the dog that will match our family's energy level. The other breeds I have considered at Bichon, Havanese and Coton Tulear in part due to the fact that a couple of long walks and/or tossing a ball around in the yard would be plenty exercise for them. I know less about the poodle and would hate to get a dog that needs much more than that since I don't generally go for strenuous long jobs each day or anything like that. Would that be a problem with a mini or standard poodle?

As for the smarts, does that aspect differ from say, the Bichons - using them as a comparison point because I've known some pretty intelligent Bichons - they've been very smart, but not "manipulative" which sounds like what you are suggesting about the poodle?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,889,569 times
Quote:
how hard is it to learn to do it yourself?
Assuming you'd be okay with a kennel clip or something similar, it's not hard to do your own grooming. I have done my own and my foster dogs for many years.

Quote:
Leorah, are you suggesting that the energy level of the standard vs. mini/toy varies? ...a couple of long walks and/or tossing a ball around in the yard would be plenty exercise for them. I know less about the poodle and would hate to get a dog that needs much more than that since I don't generally go for strenuous long jobs each day or anything like that. Would that be a problem with a mini or standard poodle?
Most standards, particularly young ones, require a lot of exercise. Like most intelligent dogs, these dogs need a "job." They were bred as sporting dogs and haven't lost those genetic characteristics. They love to run and play, and because of their size this is difficult to accommodate in a small yard or indoors. Many minis and toys are very active too, although due to their smaller size their activity needs are more manageable and can be met through daily walks and indoor/outdoor play sessions. Keep in mind that there will be differences between individuals. You'll find couch potatoes in all sizes.

Quote:
As for the smarts, does that aspect differ from say, the Bichons - using them as a comparison point because I've known some pretty intelligent Bichons - they've been very smart, but not "manipulative" which sounds like what you are suggesting about the poodle?
In my experience, there is no comparison between a poodle and a Bichon as far as intelligence. Again, there are individual differences. Overall, Standards are in a class by themselves. I'd say they are closer to border collies as far as intelligence-related behavior.

I don't think that poodles are manipulative. Like a precocious two-year old, they are smart enough to know what they need to do to get what they want.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 PM

251 posts, read 945,450 times
I grew up with a standard poodle. He was great. We did obedience training and he won several competitions. He was my constant companion growing up. I don't have any idea how many words he understood, but it seemed like he understood everything you said to him(or other people). As a kid I thought he was laid back, but considering all the playing we did and long walks now I would consider him a medium to high energy dog. He was friendly to everyone he knew. If he did not know you he was a little protective at first, but he never bit anyone.

He was a good watch dog. He did not bark much, but he would if he heard someone around the house, and he was big enough that most people would not want to mess with him. He lived 14 years and was healthy most of the time. He did have some ear problems, hip dysplasia, and as he got older artritis. Overall I could not have ask for a better dog to grow up with.

Last edited by witton; 05-17-2010 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,799,652 times
My MIL just adopted one and she is the sweetest thing ever. Could not have made a better decision. MIL had a basset hound with a little bit of attitude and they get along very well. She is very cute and friendly to everybody, and always willing to play and cuddle. And she loves to eat goodies.
My grandma's sister had a poodle who would give his life for her if needed. Once she got very sick and the little poodle would not leave her side for one second. He was very loving and protective of her.
I am a Maltese gal (love all dogs, actually) but have a very high regard of poodles.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:57 PM

5,092 posts, read 12,538,879 times
My friend that takes in elderly dogs and sick dogs and lets them live out what ever time they have left feeling loved has learned how to do many simple dog cuts. She uses a self dog wash place that I do. The owners are great and yes you can pay them to groom your dog so they do do grooming too but the shop is set up so you can self wash and groom. My friend just asked them to show her how to groom some of the breeds she had and they taught her for free so now she saves alot of money and her old or sick dogs look their best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs