Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times

Advertisements

I forgot to watch it. Does anyone know when it will be replayed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM

374 posts, read 759,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
There are times that some animal rights groups can be a bit misguided though.....

My Daughter attends a Veterinary School which often has protesters from animal rights groups outside. The students are told to be careful when they leave. They are told not to wear their scrubs outside the school. My Daughter has had "blood" thrown on her car leaving the parking lot.

The problem with this scenario is that these students are more concerned for the animals than most of the protesters. They are going to school and spending tons of money (don't I know it!) to learn how to care for animals and save them from illnesses and trauma.

Yes, they do learn how to draw blood and other samples, but they NEVER mistreat the animals. They also perform needed surgery free of charge for many shelters and things like that. For example after Katrina, they sent teachers and students to help with all the animals that had been abandoned.

I am all behind animal rights groups for the most part. But I do feel they sometimes need to think things through more clearly and not waste their time protesting entities that don't deserve it.
That is horrible! Don't they understand that Veterinarians want to help animals?!? How else do think animals will get medical care? Those kind of protestors don't really care what they are protesting, they just want to protest something..

Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
There are times that some animal rights groups can be a bit misguided though.....

My Daughter attends a Veterinary School which often has protesters from animal rights groups outside. The students are told to be careful when they leave. They are told not to wear their scrubs outside the school. My Daughter has had "blood" thrown on her car leaving the parking lot.

The problem with this scenario is that these students are more concerned for the animals than most of the protesters. They are going to school and spending tons of money (don't I know it!) to learn how to care for animals and save them from illnesses and trauma.

Yes, they do learn how to draw blood and other samples, but they NEVER mistreat the animals. They also perform needed surgery free of charge for many shelters and things like that. For example after Katrina, they sent teachers and students to help with all the animals that had been abandoned.

I am all behind animal rights groups for the most part. But I do feel they sometimes need to think things through more clearly and not waste their time protesting entities that don't deserve it.
Oh excuse me no you throw blood on me or what belongs to me I will take you out see since the exp at petland I have learned to speak up for myself and believe when I say now I would have stayed there and let them call security on me and at the same time I would have been calling the local tv station and telling them what was happening . Nope sorry I will not be throwed blood on or spat on or hit on !!

Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,337 times
I quit watching Animal Planet. If I wanted to watch News,I'd watch Fox News.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post

It was an expose, not 'news'.

Obviously Animal Planet is one cable channel that is truly devoted to animals.

I for one am quite pleased that they chose to use their finances to document animal abuse and consumer fraud.

BTW: The "blood" I mentioned earlier in this thread was not REAL blood, but some concoction to simulate blood. It was quite nasty to remove though.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,641 times
I watched it yesterday (recorded), and I would like to have seen some statistics on % of dogs from Petland that go home sick or get sick right away vs from shelter/breeder/other pet store, just to have some hard numbers to compare. Hopefully they (Humane Society) is gathering such data for the lawsuit.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 AM

374 posts, read 759,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I'm not a big TV fan myself. Animal Planet is one of the only channels that watch/record shows from regularly.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,326 times
I just mentioned watching this program to a new co-worker this morning and he said that they too got a sick puppy from Petland.

But in Pennsylvania the law reads that Petland was responsible for ALL of the vet bills it took to make it well and not just the price of the puppy as it is in some States. The bills ran about $2,100.00 as best he could remember.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
seriously, that is a total straw man argument.

they're basically implying that the only way to get pet dogs and cats is from stores like theirs (and from breeders like the ones they use), if they're even being that logical. that statement makes them look even worse than they already are, really. it's not so much defending themselves as attacking their critics. it's not really a great idea for a company to issue a press release with such a blatantly angry tone.

some of the prices people were talking about knocked me over, too. i thought the appeal of places like petland was that they were cheaper than reputable breeder, but that doesn't seem to be the case. i guess they're just faster and easier.
and no applications or reference checks or home checks.....

Quote:
You are darn right it was sickening....but not that they "used" a child's raw emotions. The sick part was that the animal they sold was seriously ill when it was purchased and that was a direct result of the inhumane conditions it had been bred in.

The HELL they don't! This program proved beyond any doubt that they are aware of those horrible puppy mills that they do business with.

The sad part of this is that a company as large as Petland would have the buying power to actually FORCE those puppy mills to clean up their act. They COULD be part of the solution instead of being a MAJOR contributor to the inhumanity!
but THAT might cut into profits......

off to check ap's website to see when i can catch this show on.....

eta ..... doesn't look like it is on the schedule to be shown again......

Last edited by latetotheparty; 05-20-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Aw Man, I forgot to watch and/or tape it

I knew of someone who adopted a dog from a store. Poor thing was sick from the time they got him and then died. She was heartsick. I worry about adopting from a store where the animals are on premises in the cages, because of all you hear regarding "puppy mills".

Originally Posted by MAK802
Did anyone watch it? The entire investigation was based around Oklahoma, where there are tons of puppy mills. I'm still trying to find it online, probably won't be posted for another day or so. I think the worst part of that entire investigation was when one of the millers said she had 20 "healthy" puppies killed because "she didn't like their looks." Apparently, she's all about top-quality dogs.

20 "healthy" puppies killed because "she didn't like their looks." ?
She sounds like Hitler of Puppydom There's totally something wrong with that lady {lady? Not!!!!} !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I'm glad I didn't see it. I wouldn't be able to get any sleep
The 2 larger chains -Petco, Petsmart - only keep rescue cats, not dogs, in the store on an everyday basis. The animals are cared for by rescue organization volunteers.If you have any concerns, check into the resuce group that partners with a particular store, there names are usually by the cages. Many of these stores also have "pop up" adoption events, particularly on the weekend, where they host local rescue groups, helping them adopt out the animals. This is usually the only time you'll find dogs available at the stores.

I just don't want people to read your post and think these rescue animals may be from puppy mills - they're not, they are rescues in need of a good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs