Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
First off, gorgeous dogs! I do mostly raw (85%), though sometimes supplement with Orijen. I've seen such a positive change in my dog's health, coat, skin, energy, etc. He's a Bulldog and extremely active, lean, and healthy, and I attribute that all to his diet. I was never a fan of reaching into a bag of pellets and calling it a meal, and the major recall of 2007 convinced me to avoid giving my dog commercial dog food as a main source of nutrition.

Here are two sites that are wonderful resources for first-time feeders. All your questions should be answered, especially on the first site. That's pretty much what convinced me to make the switch and I am so glad I did. Congrats on taking a huge step in bettering your dogs' lives through excellent nutrition! Once you see the results, you'll never go back to kibble!

Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

RawFed.com Home Page
Mak,
I too want to thank you for posting these links. You've just convinced me to switch to raw! I was looking at the links and found some very funny recipes... Raw Feeding Recipes (http://rawfeddogs.net/Recipe/List - broken link) I was laughing so much! "take the egg and hand it to your dog"...what a simple recipe! Can't wait for the last bag of very expensive kibble to finish to start on raw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 03:17 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Mak,
I too want to thank you for posting these links. You've just convinced me to switch to raw! I was looking at the links and found some very funny recipes... Raw Feeding Recipes (http://rawfeddogs.net/Recipe/List - broken link) I was laughing so much! "take the egg and hand it to your dog"...what a simple recipe! Can't wait for the last bag of very expensive kibble to finish to start on raw!
The egg...I have a funny story to go with that. So raw feeders hand the egg, shell and all, to their dogs. That's how they eat it. Well, my Bulldog was taught from very early on to have a "soft" mouth because I didn't want him to accidentally hurt people, especially kids. I handed him the egg, and he carried it to his bed, where he placed it and began to lick the shell. He had no idea that he was supposed to eat it! Hopefully, your dogs are smarter than that!

And I'm glad the sites convinced you to switch. Your dogs will love their new food!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,172,148 times
I'm in the process of switching Brody over to raw, and I'm buying Bravo from a local distributor.

Bravo! Raw Diets - home page

Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The egg...I have a funny story to go with that. So raw feeders hand the egg, shell and all, to their dogs. That's how they eat it. Well, my Bulldog was taught from very early on to have a "soft" mouth because I didn't want him to accidentally hurt people, especially kids. I handed him the egg, and he carried it to his bed, where he placed it and began to lick the shell. He had no idea that he was supposed to eat it! Hopefully, your dogs are smarter than that!

And I'm glad the sites convinced you to switch. Your dogs will love their new food!
ahahahaha aawwww!! So cuute!!!

Great replies, all.. Im so glad I posted!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 AM

205 posts, read 726,074 times
great thread, loved reading every entry.

I feed my two knuckle heads raw and some very good kibble. My oldest boy Peter (AmStaff who is 5 now) is very finicky with his food. I've left him go hungry for days trying to get him to eat the meat as I give it to him. Nope, he'd rather starve. Won't eat meat on the bone - don't know the reason - but will eat meat that I've cubed for him. He will eat raw beef bones, but not if there is meat on them. He's the one that mostly eats kibble.

My youngest boy Gunnar, just turned 1 year, has been eating raw all his life - eats everything and anything in any form. I give them meat that I buy at the grocery store or butcher. I look for great sales on beef, chicken, turkey etc and stock up on it. Food for Less and Superior are the chains I usually find meat at rock bottom prices.

I give the boys some raw veggies now and then as well. Gunnar (Alapaha Bulldog) loves raw carrots! Thinks they are the best treats. Peter, won't even touch them!

Peter

Gunnar at 9 months

Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,640 times
My 90 lb Pyralab has been moved over to raw, and he's doing much better. We found that on *any* kibble, any brand, any style, he had very runny bowels. Since we feed him chicken, he's been regular and happy.

He's also trimmed up nicely and looks lean and fit.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,198 times
The brand, Common Sense, is another really good raw food.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM

268 posts, read 703,789 times
Scarmig, same with my male GSD, runny bowels , no matter how good quality the food was, Ive tried them all. Funny thing about raw is, whatever I give him, salmon, chicken, tripe, you name it, not one time has he had that problem. !
For those of you wanting to switch, it is very very important that you just do it. Kibble WITH raw is a BAD idea. The kibble slows down the movement of the raw through the digestive tract, can make them sick.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 PM

418 posts, read 1,381,678 times
I don't know anything about feeding raw but your dogs are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,595 times
Worms and Germs Blog : Animal Health & Diseases : University of Guelph : Ontario Veterinary College : Zoonotic Diseases : Guelph, Hamilton, Ontario

Just keep in mind - there's A LOT more human grade meat recalls then there are dog food.

If you're going to feed raw, be educated. And get it balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs