Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb219 View Post
I have been checking different rescue groups, specific to pit bulls. I lost my dog in July and want to rescue the most misunderstood breed. I have owned bull terriers. I have come across two rescues, but one is just giving me reason to pause a bit. If you could recommend reputable rescues in NJ it would be appreciated.
Thanks
All city/county shelters are full of pit bulls. Why not just go there? Much cheaper and you don't have to worry if you're helping to perpetuate any rescue scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:21 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyseattle View Post

On the other hand, I have also learned of many incredibly wonderful rescue organizations, so much so that I want to volunteer to help.
Sassy, The need for volunteers is always great so I thank you for deciding to get involved. In Tacoma you may have a choice of several different ones, some may have a physical shelter and others may be smaller one that are foster based and do not have a shelter. Those without a physical shelter may be in more need of help simply because they are less well known and because it is generally easier for people to go to a specific place and put in a fixed amount of time, say walking dogs 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or so while a smaller group is more scattered, with dogs living around the area in various foster homes. They also must take their dogs to adoption events at venues like Petsmart and so that is a bit more involved than when the public comes to a shelter to see what dogs are available.

I hope that you find the "work" to be as rewarding as I have even though it only pays in pooch smootches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs