U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 PM

4,221 posts, read 14,830,852 times

Advertisements

Dog missing 13 years returns home - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM

609 posts, read 1,208,832 times
thats amazing! dogs are so awesome

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,132,861 times
OMG, that's crazy!!!!! He was only 8 months old when he vanished... yet found his way back 13 years later?!? Oh my gosh, I'm tingling with goosebumps.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 AM

4,221 posts, read 14,830,852 times
Well, I like to think it's the same dog, it's very coincidental if it's not (but I know what you mean, about all the years etc). Stranger things have happened though, i guess anything is possible...

Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM

795 posts, read 4,386,600 times
hey, honeycrisp, i saw that article! that's crazy!

although let me tell you, there's a shih tzu who lives in my neighborhood who doesn't get out much and is scared of other dogs. we see this sweet little guy when he comes out to tinkle and when he goes to the mailbox with his people, and that's about it.

well, monday, i'm am walking barnaby around the neighborhood when i see a streak of brown and white shih tzu fur come flying into the entrance of our neighborhood with three strangers in hot pursuit. i start shouting, "is that thedog'sname? is that thedog'sname?" as i run to try to catch him between buildings... but i don't catch him b/c he's a lot faster than slow-poke barnaby and me, and he makes a beeline for his front door.

long story short: it is thedog'sname. a friend of the family has taken him to a local shopping center and he has (somehow) gotten loose and run all the way home... through a major intersection! and across traffic at the entrance of the neighborhood!

the point of this story is:

how did this dog know to come home? they've only lived here about eight months, sometimes he still stays at his old house (the couple is divorced), AND the family member didn't walk him to the shopping center, they drove there. to my knowledge (i know the family), he has NEVER walked to the shopping center.

so how did this dog know, not only how to come home, but how to make a straight (if frantic) line to his front door?

i guess the same way the dog in the article knew how to go home 13 years later.

dogs are amazing.

[dog's name redacted to protect the innocent and, possibly, the guilty.]

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,244,023 times
How cool is that! I like to think it's the same dog...but I wonder where he was for all those years...if only he could tell us...!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,349,917 times
What I noticed is that they still haven't put an ID tag on him. Happy for the dog though.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:03 PM

113 posts, read 168,763 times
Probably time to put one of those ID radio tags under his skin. For next time!

I had a pet cat once who I moved across a large town. I kept her in for a week, then let her out. she hung around for another week and then dissapeared. I was heartbroken.

About two months later, I got a call from the new occupant of my old rental house. My cat had returned there across at least 15 miles of major city, traffic, noise, dogs, other cats. She was bedraggled and skinny, but it was really her.

I took her to the vet, got her some protective shots, had her de-flea'd and hit with some vitamins, and took her to my new home. She stayed inside for at least two month ,even though I offered to let her out after a week. She never strayed away agian. Perhaps she learned her lesson.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,389,578 times
I lived in Los Angeles during the earthquake in 1993, and at the time we had two cats. One of the cats ended up in the attic because she slept in the garage and made a bee line up there when the earthquake hit. My other cat, Annie, ran out the door when my neighbor came to get my mom and I out of the house. We thought she was gone forever and I was heartbroken. She was my cat and I had her since she was a kitten. A month or so later a friend of my moms was walking with her son and saw her sitting on a front lawn two blocks over. (Unfortunately neither of my cats wore collars or had tags, and never did even after this.) She called her name and Annie perked up, my moms friend knew it was her. She called us as soon as she got home and told us where she was. When my mom and I went to get her we found out it was a kid I went to school with. They had found her up at the elementary school which was a block up from my house wondering around, very skinny because she probably hadn't eaten much but mice for a few days. They actually had the nerve to argue with us about taking back our cat. I don't know why she never came back to our house, she was an outside cat and wondered around the neighborhood all the time, but would always come home. We got her back and she lived long after I moved out. My mom called me a few years ago saying she was going blind, and she eventually passed from a seizure.

Anyway.....as soon as I have some extra money I'm getting both of my dogs chipped. My boyfriend thinks I'm out of my mind, but I know better!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:22 AM

7,373 posts, read 14,073,453 times
amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs