U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 PM

1,424 posts, read 4,940,158 times

Advertisements

Does anyone understand why some dogs' (mine) sole purpose is to destroy a toy? She gets a toy, chews on it until she breaks the fabric, pulls all the stuffing out, finds the squeaker. I bought her a stuffing-less toy and she ripped it apart to get the plastic tube inside and chewed it to bits.

Rubber chew toys aren't interesting to her.

I wonder why she is so intent on ripping them apart. Why not just chew them to make them squeak, throw them around and play?

What's so fascinating about the stuffing and the squeaker?

She has other toys she likes, e.g., her treat ball, but I can only handle so much of that. She drops it hundreds of times on the hard floors to dislodge the treats. The noise is so irritating, but it's cute to watch her.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM

17,336 posts, read 29,194,001 times
I wish I knew, I wish I knew...

Artie's the same way. He ate a squeaker (or part of one) -- that cost me a cleanup of 14 pukes, a trip to the vet for x-rays and injections, and a lot of heartache (waiting to see if he upchucked the rest of the squeaker). He no longer gets squeaky toys (obviously!) and is quite content to play with one of my socks (if I've given it to him, that is). So be it.

I do wonder, though, if it's hunting instinct. If disecting a toy is equated -- in their minds, at least -- to disecting a catch of some sort of animal. I believe that's why they also shake their heads from side to side when the toy is in their mouth. And the squeaky toy is supposed to sound like (who knows?) like an animal that they're... well, you know...

Old 05-23-2010, 01:11 PM

205 posts, read 667,935 times
I have always related it to hunting and the dying animal. If a dog had caught a real animal, as it died it would likely cry, squeak etc. The more noise the toy makes the more frenzied the dogs will get playing with it. Mine do the same thing.... they attack the toy, rip open the body, pull out the stuffing and the squeaker.

I've tried the "un-stuffed" toys with "quiet" squeakers. The dogs still trashed the toys looking for the noise makers. I've finally found some solid rubber toys that stand up much longer and the dogs enjoy them (I have pit bulls and bulldogs). Planet Dog sells mint infused (they smell super good and it helps their breath and teeth) toys - balls of many sizes, and odd shaped toys that intrigue the dogs. You can find them if you Google their name. I give them repeat business because they have specific toys that when purchased the profit goes to animal rescue causes.

I love my babies, but I have to consider the fact that they are predators, and the toys to them (in their perspective anyway) become prey. I too gave up the soft squeaky toys and now they have rubber balls, kongs, solid rubber bones etc.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:42 PM

3,604 posts, read 11,369,461 times
My Black Lab Gator is a search and destroy dog too. Only toys he gets now are Kongs stuffed with treats for snacking and without treats for playtime and exercise. He can "kill" a stuffed toy in minutes!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:51 PM

37,418 posts, read 46,230,930 times
Willie's a shredder, an extremely aggressive chewer. He lives to destroy. People get lulled into thinking that he can't possibly be that destructive, because he's not a large dog, only about 35 lbs. I would never even spend so much as a dime on a fabric toy, it would be instantly in shreds. He doesn't "play" with balls, or, God forbid, fetch them. He lives to rip them to bits. The black material Kongs seem to have a longer shelf life, he's gnawed the red ones to bits within a day, and he's really only sporadically interested in them, and learned quickly how to clean them out of treats and stuffing, anyway, so they don't even preoccupy him for more than a few minutes. The one toy he seems to love, and that actually holds up, is the Nylabone double action chew combo bone in bacon flavor. He doesn't lose interest in it, and it takes him probably four months or so to gnaw it down to nothing. I like it, because it has a rubber core in the center so you can pick it up without slicing yourself on the gnawed-up portions and their sharp edges. I've been impressed at how long this chew lasted...we're on our second one.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,691,554 times
I have no clue as to why some are obsessed with stuffing and squeakers. My boy is a de-stuffer. He'll pick holes in the stuffed toy and pick out the stuffing and spit it out. Eventually he'll rip off the legs or arms of the toy. I've had my dad collect stuffed animals from garage sales for years now. One of my previous dogs would do that too.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM

1,740 posts, read 4,852,003 times
The only toys our dogs don't destroy are the Extreme Kongs. Well... they eventually destroy them, but it takes them several months.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,989,743 times
You're in good company. My dog doesn't like rubber toys either. Even the toys without the stuffing still get destroyed. I found these inexpensive toys on Drs Foster and Smith that have survived a little more than the usual: Dog Toys: Berber Toys at Drs. Foster & Smith
It helps a good cause too; they are made by folks in a supportive employment program!

Old 05-23-2010, 04:03 PM

1,424 posts, read 4,940,158 times
Her toybox is filled with stuffed dog toy carcasses. She likes to flip them around occasionally. Sometimes she must get bored, because I will come into the room and the "dead bodies" will be all over the floor; she completely empties her toybox.

The other thing she does is chew the fuzz off tennis balls and then rip the ball apart.

I will try one of those Nylabones.

What a nut. Sometimes (but only sometimes) I wish she could tell me what she's thinking.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM

205 posts, read 667,935 times
The Nylabones can cause the dogs gums to bleed. I have given them to my dogs and they are very long lasting, but with vigorous chewing I found that the dogs gums will bleed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs