Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times

Advertisements

90% of dogs aren't aggressive towards cats? right. and the difference in a grey vs another breed chasing something across a field would be substantial, but the difference in a living room would be practically nothing. lots and lots of breeds of dog have a strong prey drive. poodles, for instance, were originally bred to be hunting dogs and often are not compatible with cats. but again, it depends on the individual as well as the breed. and there are dozens (at least) of breeds that are bred to chase and/or kill small animals. that task is part of numerous major working roles for dogs, not to mention a natural survival instinct, and there's no reason to think that only racing dogs are going to have these instincts.

i'll repeat, i wouldn't trust ANY dog to be ok with cats. i'd start with a dog that lived with cats in its foster family, but i would never trust that in itself. as i said, i'd be extremely careful about introducing them and leaving them alone together. when i got my dog, this was a major concern for me, especially since she came from a shelter, not a foster situation. luckily she and the cats turned out to be fine with each other, but i never assumed this was going to happen.

and it's not inbred AT ALL in pit bulls to be aggressive towards humans (never mind that "pit bull" is not a breed), in fact they're bred for human friendliness even when they're bred for dog aggression, but that's another thread.

Last edited by groar; 05-24-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 PM

374 posts, read 760,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
For the record, the OP needs to know just how FAST they run. I'd guess at saying atleast 3 times faster than her cats. If she wants to take that risk, that's her prerogative like I said before. I, myself, knowing about and owning one, would never take that chance with an indoor cat. She also mentioned the fear factor for her cats. If she did get a Grey and it did not work out, and the cats did suffer, she would likely get rid of the Grey (as they cannot live outside, ever). At the end of that 'potential' ordeal, the cats had to suffer and the Grey had to be placed again.
This is where the "if I fail to plan, I plan to fail" comes in. It would be a big failure if I let something happen to our cats, then also had to rehome the dog(s) we were trying to help.

Thanks again for the comments. They will help me make the right decisions for everyone involved!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

i'll repeat, i wouldn't trust ANY dog to be ok with cats. i'd start with a dog that lived with cats in its foster family, but i would never trust that in itself. as i said, i'd be extremely careful about introducing them and leaving them alone together. when i got my dog, this was a major concern for me, especially since she came from a shelter, not a foster situation. luckily she and the cats turned out to be fine with each other, but i never assumed this was going to happen.
This is really important, thanks. I'm going to make sure that the cats are never left alone with the dog(s), at least until we are certain that nothing bad is going to happen.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,794 times
My greyhound can't be trusted with cats. However, we talk to lots of other greyhound owners, and many other greyhounds are good with cats, and live in harmony with them! I agree that a lot of greys are fostered in people's homes, and are cat-tested. Don't rule them out

Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,565 times
If your thinking about a greyhound check out this message board for greyhound owners Greytalk.com (http://www.greytalk.com - broken link)

Oh and yes greyhounds and cats can live together just fine.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,725 times
Default Not true, a misconception!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I wouldn't try it with a Greyhound. We had one for a few yrs. It is ingrained in them to chase and catch. When we used to take ours to the dog park, he had to have on his racing muzzle as whenever another dog would take off across the field, our Grey would run, catch and knock down. Other owners would freak out, getting upset thinking their dog was going to be killed. A few times it got to where my dog was not gonna back down until....they want to be the fastest that's for sure. He'd take off after any running dog and wouldn't stop till the other dog completely stopped. It was very interesting to say the least.

You would never want to come home to find your cat dead or severely injured would you? What if it got spooked or ran across the room and the Grey attacked it? Of course they are sweet as pie and it wouldn't be out of malice....that's just my 2 cents from owning one. And he had the sweetest temperament otherwise. But in that dog park, his wild came out for sure.

It's your call.
Greyhounds are wonderful souls and while it is true they are prey driven, so are other hounds and retrievers. There is NO way to say that GREYHOUNDS CAN live with cats nor can anyone say that greyhounds CANT live with cats. It is all in the individual grey and to a lesser extent the individual cat. Most likely you will be saving a greyhound via a retired greyhound racing group, and they should have tested the grey for cat tolerance. This too is not to be 100%, as even a DOG (NOTICE KEYWORD=DOG, NOT GREY) deemed cat tolerant must be introduced carefully for the specific situation in your home. That being said, greyhounds (NOTICE KEYWORD = GREYHOUND, not DOG) are highly, highly intelligent, sensitive and want to please their pack leader (you). Regardless of what you were told, your new grey should be introduced properly to any cat or small dog. This involves use of a lead and muzzle. Slowly introducing your grey and cat needs to be just that, slowly. Note also, a grey deemed not cat tolerant can be detrained, it will just take much longer. But as long as you realize that the cat and greyhound introduction isn't a first time, slowly done in an afternoon, but actually a controlled process that is done responsibly, chances are, they will learn to live with any part of the pact the leader (YOU) lets in. While there is no guarantee that a greyhound and a cat will be able to live together, there is equally not a guarantee that a grey and a cat can't live together. I have two rescues, I have established myself as the pact leader and when I decided to add a rescued black cat (white is putting more difficulty on the grey for obvious reasons) we had some work to do but it turned out fine. Firstly, it is important to note that BOTH of my greys were deemed NOT CAT TOLERANT. This is likely to be true because the rescue groups err on the side of caution for good reason. Also, they are tested shortly after coming off the track, a time when their prey drive is higher and they are trained to chase very cat like looking lures. Due to the intelligence of GREYS, and their love of their humans, I think that with work and common sense. it is more likely that you in fact can detrain most cat intolerant greys, but you will need to work at it. As I mentioned before, a deemed cat tolerant Grey (or any dog for that matter) must be introduced carefully to a cat ... maybe the exception being a canine puppy. Start slowly, never outside, never holding the cat, always on a lead, always with a muzzle and always controlled. Teach the grey that looking at the cat as a fuzzy wuzzy appetizer rather than part of the pact is BAD, and that learning to "live and let live" receives your praise and some acceptable, pact leader approved treat! Never leave them alone unsupervised, without muzzle for a very long period and when (and I bet you WILL get there) you get to the level of feeling the grey is ok with the cat, initially if you leave them alone with access to each other, leave the grey muzzled just for safety. Greyhounds maybe great chasers, and have the prey instinct. but that is all well and good for them for a helpless rabbit. Greys are so none aggressive and any grey owner will tell you they are terrible guard dogs. I say this because if a grey that is muzzled and being controlled gets a good smack with a cats claws, he will likely scream sounding as if a 100 pounds fell upon him, they are the most dramatic of furry creatures and they are also the most sensitive of creatures. With time, I bet that you have too mates that love to be part of your pact (well, with you included, the two mates that love to be part of the pact are likely you and the grey, the cat, likely thinks he/she is much too good for the grey and will tolerate this gigantic, in the cats mind, simple minded, unconditionally loving and adoring of his human that is so dramatic and weak because of his sensitivity to his humans feelings, but he likely will put on a show that he/she likes the grey as much as you, but really he just finds the grey as a necessity to deal with and that the grey spends far too much time trying to please and be with his human idol! So to answer your question and in response of this answer, YES GREYHOUNDS CAN LIVE WITH CATS, but you have to be willing to work and make it happen. The reward, well worth the effort, you will have that special soul of a greyhound in your home (that when he/she looks at you with their eyes, you will swear he is looking into your soul and talking to you! A well behaved greyhound actually has a very CAT LIKE BEHAVIOR in some ways, they are super quiet, they love to nap, they wish they were the size of the cat so they could jump in your lap, they are like the nosey neighborhood old lady you might remember as child, having to know everything you are doing (dont expect to go the bathroom alone with a greyhound and a cat, at least with a greyhound, I can tell you that I have learned to have one of them next to me at all times). I think that the rewards for the effort one will experience with this combo of greyhound and cat will be something that you will agree could never be improved. My two retired cat intolerant greys live happily in conjunction with the new (BLACK) super cool, super patient rescued stray, not to mention a tiny parrotlet and a Yellow sided conure (now, I WOULD PROBABLY SAY, THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, can I EVER TRUST MY CAT Henri, alone or even near, neither Pepin the Parrotlet nor Napoleon the Conure), this is something that can not be detrained, or at least something I would never attempt to try! So, first step, see if the rescue group in your area have a tested cat tolerant grey (makes this process much easier), second, regardless of cat tolerant or not, work and carefully introduce the new roommates, over time let the new grey bring a truly unique and unmatchable love into your home! Good luck to any that are considering this, and GET READY TO KNOW AN AMAZING CREATURE SO UNIQUE when you give an exploited and tired, OLD SOUL, greyhound into your home! Sorry so long, but this is something that deserves specific and well thought and explained answer!
GREYHOUND = 40MPH couch potato
GREYHOUND = LAYS POTATO CHIPS, NOBODY CAN HAVE JUST ONE!
GREYHOUND = AS PERFECT A COMPANION THERE EVER WAS

p.s. I swear I love my cat and my parrots, but my greys, they really have given me more than I ever expected!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
This is an old post but I will join in saying that yes some Greyhounds do great with cats. While some of the retired racers will do fine with them you do have to understand that the racers are trained to chase moving objects and usually were not raised in a home so a racing greyhound verses a show grey hound would be more likely to go after the cat. But they are all individuals and many love cats and would not hurt a cat. I have a sight hound called a Silken Wind hound and they like all sight hounds love to chase moving objects. I am lucky as his breeder had a cat and it was a rather bold cat and would smack the puppies around so while he loves cats he is very cautious around them . He also LOVES little dogs and will play with them and chase them but you see him being very careful with them when he does play, much like most adults are with small puppies.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:09 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Umm, there's a bunch of kitten/greyhound videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_ephQJJgc

Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM

Wow, I can't believe it's been 5 years since I started this thread! I guess I should update. My husband and I ended up not getting a dog. My father in law's health started to decline and from 2011 until he died in the fall of 2014 we were his caregivers. Both of the cats that I had then passed away within 2 weeks of each other in the fall of 2013. One had cancer and the other died of renal failure.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
My gf was turned Down for GH rescue because she had Cats! Was told GH = No Cats or other small dogs or animals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs