Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what everyone's views are about crating dogs when at work?
If you agree that it is OK to crate a dog while at work...what is the max time you think is acceptable for crating a dog?
If you don't agree that crating is acceptable, tell me why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,039 times
My DH and I crate our dogs while we're at work because they both have exhibited destructive behavior when left alone. I have a boxer and don't like to leave him outside all day, either. The longest we leave them is 8 hours. I know it's a long time, but we unfortunately don't work close to home anymore and can't come home on lunch. I will say that we only do this 4 days a week, because my husband is off on Mondays. I hate leaving them cooped up that long, but they do get long walks in the morning and the evening and they're out pretty much all weekend. Sorry to get off subject. 8 hours max. We do dog daycare once in a while, too.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I was wondering what everyone's views are about crating dogs when at work?
If you agree that it is OK to crate a dog while at work...what is the max time you think is acceptable for crating a dog?
If you don't agree that crating is acceptable, tell me why.
Hi there
I have always crated my dogs when I was out or at work. The only one I couldn't was my doxie. She wanted no part of it but now that she is 12 she wanders into the other dogs crates. Three of them sleep with us because hubby couldn't take the crying for a night or two. I got my first pom Lucy who has since passed away when hubby was on a business trip and she was crate trained when he got back home. Our new pup is crate trained and also sleeps in her crate. Crating them keeps them safe and your home in good condition.
I use to work 11 hours a day and would tell Lucy to go into her crate and she did but I would come home for lunch or have my neighbor or cleaning lady whoever was handy let her out to do what she had to do. I would also make sure she had food and water in her crate. She did fine and even when I was at home she would go into her crate for alone time as our other dogs do now. This is their alone place.
Lorrie

Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Thanks for the responses! I want a dog, but it would have to be crated at night while I work from 7 PM-7 AM. I am not going to get a dog until I move to Texas, so depending on how long of a lunch I get, I could possibly come home in the middle of the night and let the dog out.

Is this irresponsible as a pet owner? Be honest, but be tactful and do not lecture. I have broad shoulders, but I easily!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
It really depends on the dog!

If you have a dog that chews up everything in the house when you leave, well then that's different than a dog that just sleeps on the sofa all day.

Most dogs sleep all day while you're gone.

I used to crate my dog when the cleaning lady or plumber came over because she would nip at their ankles. She hated men in work boots!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Thanks for the responses! I want a dog, but it would have to be crated at night while I work from 7 PM-7 AM. I am not going to get a dog until I move to Texas, so depending on how long of a lunch I get, I could possibly come home in the middle of the night and let the dog out.

Is this irresponsible as a pet owner? Be honest, but be tactful and do not lecture. I have broad shoulders, but I easily!
When you're home during the day, will you be sleeping the whole time or will you have time to play and walk the dog? I think that if you will be sleeping most of the time, it's really not fair to the dog. Just my opinion. I'm assuming you're getting the dog for companionship. If you don't have the time, why get a dog?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
OK, my take on crating is: it depends on the dog.

When Artie lived with his previous "parent," he was always crated while she was at work. That could be for 8-9 hours. When we adopted Artie, she said that she always crated him when she went out, except if it was a QUICK trip to the store or something.

Well, I didn't want to go that route. First off, I work from home, so crating while at work was a non-issue. But I didn't want to MAKE Artie go in his crate when we ran errands or went out for dinner or whatever.

Sooooo, we didn't. And Artie is terrific! He's not destructive (he just goes to his room and sleeps when we go out) and he loves just being in the same room with me, asleep on the couch in my office while I'm working, or beside me while I'm reading a book.

My take on it is that if the dog isn't being destructive while on his own, there's no need to crate him.

On your next posting, though, you say that you're going to work for 12 hours. Personally, I feel that's too long to leave a dog on his own, crated or otherwise. I can't hold my bladder for 12 hours, and I wouldn't expect my dog to, either. If you can't get home at lunchtime to let the dog out, I'd wait to get a dog, when the circumstances allow you to not have him unattended for 12 hours in a row.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:38 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Crating 12 hrs is way too long IMO unless you get a petsitter to come at take it out midday or you can do it yourself, every day and even then I'd give the dog the kitchen so at least it has some room to move about and stretch its legs. I also wouldnt get a puppy b/c they need tons of reinforcement which won't happen if no one's home to give it. Honestly, if you're at work 12 hrs (7-7), then you have to allow for travel time, grocery shopping time, housework time, sleep time etc, it may be better to wait til you have a diff. job w/ shorter hours or can hire a petsitter to come in regularly. Research breeds, would def. not get a high-energy dog and prob. not a companion dog b/c companion dogs want to be w/ their companions (unless each dog is older, then hopefully they may sleep a bit but they'll want some exercise and attention too). Being honest, again JMO.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
My DH and I crate our dogs while we're at work because they both have exhibited destructive behavior when left alone. I have a boxer and don't like to leave him outside all day, either. The longest we leave them is 8 hours. I know it's a long time, but we unfortunately don't work close to home anymore and can't come home on lunch. I will say that we only do this 4 days a week, because my husband is off on Mondays. I hate leaving them cooped up that long, but they do get long walks in the morning and the evening and they're out pretty much all weekend. Sorry to get off subject. 8 hours max. We do dog daycare once

in a while, too.

I have had to do more then 8 hrs when I was working I couldn't take a lunch hour since I worked on commission and had to go to clients homes to help them with ideas how to decorate and my neighbor and cleaning lady was not available. Hubby would be home two hrs before me and then let them out. No harm was done to our dogs since they cannot tell time. You are doing the right thing.
I would love the day care but that is $$$$$.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
No harm was done to our dogs since they cannot tell time.
Oh, I beg to differ! Dogs most certainly can tell time. They have little clocks inside their heads!

Their minds work much differently than ours and one of those differences is to know exactly what time it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs