Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 PM

418 posts, read 1,379,537 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if those who work in shelters or rescues have seen more and more people have to give up their dogs due to unemployment? I am unemployed and being effected by the governments slowness. My benefits run out after the extension date. And with the government dragging their feet on the much need HR 4213 Bill to extend unemployment til the end of the year I will be without a job or any source of income as of next week.
I myself will never, ever give up my dogs. We will sleep in my car in a parking lot before I would give them up. I have an organization that has been helping with free food and I got their shots for $10. But there is no one that will help with their much needed heartworm meds. I have posted on craigslist and gotten enough to last them a month or two but thats it. Just wondering if shelters and rescues have seen a higher number of animals as the unemployment continues to remain so high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,372,831 times
Owner surrenders are sky rocketing and have been for a few years now. And because of it, euth rates are climbing again. We're doing all we can, but with few people looking to add a mouth to feed to their family, it's rough.

Contact all the rescues you can and ask for help with HW meds. Last resort, let me know and I"ll send you some.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,903,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
let me know and I"ll send you some.
I'll send you some too. I have the stuff for dogs that are between 26 and 50 lbs. Private message me telling me where to send it, and I'll send you a couple.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

3,736 posts, read 12,361,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'll send you some too. I have the stuff for dogs that are between 26 and 50 lbs. Private message me telling me where to send it, and I'll send you a couple.
Me too - DM me with an address. I have heartguard for 50 - 100 lbs.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Owner surrenders are sky rocketing and have been for a few years now. And because of it, euth rates are climbing again. We're doing all we can, but with few people looking to add a mouth to feed to their family, it's rough.

Contact all the rescues you can and ask for help with HW meds. Last resort, let me know and I"ll send you some.
I have contacted boxer rescue in my area and no response yet. I have contacted some of the local shelters and get the same answer from them, "If you pay $20 a piece to have them tested we can sell it to you for a discounted price." They have been on heartworm since the day I got them so I'm not paying to have them tested again I know they are negative. I offered a letter from my regular vet who tested them years ago but they won't take that.
To all the people who offered to help. omg...thank you, thank you, thank you. It means the world to me. I am needing the 50-100 lbs so for DandJ thank you for offering but I can't use it. For everyone else I will send you my address thru private message when I get home from school and post some pics of my doggies so you can see who you are helping. Again...thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Also they are supposed to vote on the unemployment extension today or tomorrow. Keep me and everyone else that needs this lifeline in your prayers!!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,903,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I have contacted boxer rescue in my area and no response yet. I have contacted some of the local shelters and get the same answer from them, "If you pay $20 a piece to have them tested we can sell it to you for a discounted price." They have been on heartworm since the day I got them so I'm not paying to have them tested again I know they are negative. I offered a letter from my regular vet who tested them years ago but they won't take that.
To all the people who offered to help. omg...thank you, thank you, thank you. It means the world to me. I am needing the 50-100 lbs so for DandJ thank you for offering but I can't use it. For everyone else I will send you my address thru private message when I get home from school and post some pics of my doggies so you can see who you are helping. Again...thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Also they are supposed to vote on the unemployment extension today or tomorrow. Keep me and everyone else that needs this lifeline in your prayers!!
I can try to fatten Artie up some more so that he'll need the 50-100 lb one! Seriously, though, I was happy to be able to help... and I wish that you could have used Artie's stash.

My fingers and toes are crossed for your unemployment extension.

Take good care...

Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,336,366 times
I will be in the same boat soon, no one is willing to hire a 60 year old even if they are qualified. I'm out of benefits and I've got about 30 days until they start foreclosure proceedings..

My elderly JRT can live in the cab of the truck with me, it's the cat that I've been trying to find a home for, she's used to living in/out as she's a farm cat and can't find a home for her and I'm and my wits end trying to figure something out

They are so bonded I'm sure it will affect my JRT greatly. They are both around 14-16 years old, I've even tried to place them together so they'd have each other in their dotage but no luck. I know it sounds awful that I would surrender my pets, but in a few short days I don't know where or what will happen to me and it would at least give me peace if I knew their final years were in a good place vs living hand to mouth in the cab of a pick up truck.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I will be in the same boat soon, no one is willing to hire a 60 year old even if they are qualified. I'm out of benefits and I've got about 30 days until they start foreclosure proceedings..

My elderly JRT can live in the cab of the truck with me, it's the cat that I've been trying to find a home for, she's used to living in/out as she's a farm cat and can't find a home for her and I'm and my wits end trying to figure something out

They are so bonded I'm sure it will affect my JRT greatly. They are both around 14-16 years old, I've even tried to place them together so they'd have each other in their dotage but no luck. I know it sounds awful that I would surrender my pets, but in a few short days I don't know where or what will happen to me and it would at least give me peace if I knew their final years were in a good place vs living hand to mouth in the cab of a pick up truck.
ReturningWest,
Are you as they say, a 99er? Unfortunely there is NOTHING on the horizon to help those of you stuck in that position. At least I have the hope of an extension as I have only been on it 26 weeks.
Its all such a sad state of affairs. After mine runs out if I don't have a job I will probably have to drop out of school (you know they don't give welfare to you if your in school?) My dogs, I can't give up. My boxer? Would die. He can not go a week without me. He is 100% totally a one owner dog. I could never give him up no matter what. My lab could always go stay with my ex, he loves her and wanted "custody" of her when we split up but I said no. I know he would take her in. But..........

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
1st thing to go is the pets. then move in with mom. bring the kids.
its a pattern. the retractable generation.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM

PS- Boxer rescue contacted me back and told me to contact local shelters. The shelter told to contact rescues. But thankfully due a few kind people I think we will be ok for now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs