Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:24 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,785 times

Advertisements

I have two, and I will post them both when I get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Aww. That's so sad that no one ever tried to play with him until it was too late. It's happy that he knew love though. That's great story.
Ringo...
It certainly wasn't for the lack of trying. Even at age 1-1/2 he wouldn't play. I guess he just never had the chance to play or got scolded if he did. Who knows what goes on in peoples mind when they abuse.

He did steal hubby's gloves out of his back pocket when we first rescued him. He went & buried them.

The most excited he would get would be first thing in the AM. He would wake up & woooooo-woooooooooooo at us. He slept in the kitchen with the other Rotts in their beds.
We have 8" covered 3X4 foot foam beds covered with a queen size sheet. It goes on one end then folds over & tucks right on the other end. Fits perfect.
Makes dog laundry day a breeze.

Winter time they either have a BIG towel over the sheet or a blanket...all depends on if it's colder or not. They sleep by & around the kitchen table. A big 8 foot glass sliding door is by the beds, but that's their spot & love to lay there all year round.

Good thing we have a big country kitchen for the Rotts & table, fridge stove/oven can all fit in. LOL...

Hubby says...if we won the lottery our new house they would have their own bedroom.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
ok .... now we REALLY need to see a picture of the rotties all lounging around on their beds in the kitchen.......

Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
ok .... now we REALLY need to see a picture of the rotties all lounging around on their beds in the kitchen.......
Agree! Trying to picture it.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Sillypups, again, I just cannot say "God bless you" enough.

I already had a little Maltese, who is still with me today, when I got my two Maltese girls. She is not a rescue but holds a huge space in my heart. Even the neighbor's dog (who barks at me) holds a place in my heart

My two Maltese girls were rescued from a puppy mill, when I heard they were going to be given away as they were no longer having puppies. They were 5 and 6 at the time. I was offered each of them separately, but those small black eyes won me immediately. They were mother and daughter, but even if they weren't I could not, for the life of me, separate them.

They came home with us without knowing how to climb stairs and could not recognize the sound of a snack bag being opened as a "time for goodies!" sound. I sometimes looked at them and could not believe it.
Needless to say, thanks to my "wonderful" discipline skills, they could climb stairs way faster than myself and could hear me opening a bag of whatever from a mile away and soon enough everybody was jumping up and down every piece of furniture I had ever owned. Lucky me!

They developed wonderful personalities and each one spoke to us on her own special way. I very often had wonderful moments of laughter with their cuteness and cleverness... along with long, white dog hair all over the place.

They passed in 07 and 08. Both had cancer. We held them until their very last moments. They will forever hold a place in my heart.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
the mill survivors always touch a special place in me when i transport them ......

Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times
We rescued a puppy pit mix years ago. He was found wondering along a road, in pretty bad condition. The local pound would not take him for adoption because he looked like a pit. The vet threatened to muzzle him before he even did one thing. No one claimed him, so we decided to keep him. (Once I make eye contact, there is no turning back!)

He was the most patient, caring, gentle dog you could ever hope for. Kids could trip over him, step on his tail, take food away from him, and he just acted grateful for the attention. He was my companion with nighttime feedings when we had babies. He helped keep the kids herded when we played outside as they grew. He played catch tirelessly with the kids when they were older. And, he kept my kitchen floor spotless!

Many people warned us against keeping this dog with babies around, but I am glad we gave him a chance. There is no way he could have been any better dog for our family.

Happy/sad ending: his health was failing quickly as he reached 14 years. I was babysitting a puppy who seemed to rejuvinate my boy for a few days. He ended up passing away after literally playing himself to death and using up all he had left. He had more fun those last days than the entire previous year!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
After our sheltie got out from a screen door which didn't quite close and we never could find her, we went to the pound one last time to look. There was as sheltie mix who was just sitting calmly while all the other dogs were barking. I went to her and she moved to the bars and licked my hand.

The people at the shelter were so happy we gave her a home. She loved us very much, played ball and followed us everywhere. We had two other dogs and they were all good together. Fluffy was the sweetest dog I ever had. She wasn't bright but she loved with all she had. I lost her a few years ago and we had a rough last years as I had to move repeadly, but it was meant and I believe we were drawn to each other.

We had another dog, a small terrier mix named Gumby that was gotten from the pound, and he was getting very old. I didn't expect him to last the winter. A friend told me about a neighbor who had this beagle she had taken in from her son. She couldn't keep Cleo since she would be over limit at the moble home park. I took my neice with me to see how she was with kids, and she ran over and licked us and did the beagle "happy dance". She was so overweight that her belly almost dragged on the floor. It took a LOT of time to slim her down but eventually we made it. She is now at least fifteen and not in great health but still is very enthused about that food and runs the house at least then.

My cats are all rescues. My oldest was the kitten my landlords brought to give to the three under five kids. She scrached them and hid. They ended up dumping her in the garage after a fight and left for the week. I lured her out (my room was an add on in the garage) and Cleo decided to be mommy. It turns out my tiny black kitten was only four weeks old. She and Cleo came to Oklahoma with me.

I got Pammy off a craigslist ad. She had an owner who was deployed, and then redeployed. His sister had the dog but couldn't keep her. She's a mid sized beagle with some issures from the time she spent at the sisters I'm guessing. But I've had her a year and she is settling down much better and is starting to feel secure. The woman must have cared for her since she waited over a month for my fence to appear, but I dont' think my girl got much love or open caring those two years.

And last year a dumped kitty arrived. It took me a while to figure out she had kittens, and then one day she brought them up to the porch when a rainstorm drenched it under the house. I grabbed them over a week, and had a shenter for her and them on the porch, and while I intended to give some of them a home and some of them find a home have ended up with all of them.

Whats interesting is these are the first in my recent pets who have no issues. Even mom is far less issue prone. The kittens have never been abuses, scared or hurt. The last one I caught is still scared and probably will always be but I hope when they are all fixed and she can hide and come out as she wants she'll get over it.

I love all my furry kids and its funny how they don't care about dog or cat. My bigger beagle has a string tied on the end of her harness so I can walk her short distances if needed without finding the leash. Its so funny when you see her standing patiently while one kitty has the tie in the claws and is lounging and the other is sitting right next to her rubbing happily. She'd never been around cats so didn't know about chasing them. I belive she thinks they are just strange dogs.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:16 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post

Happy/sad ending: his health was failing quickly as he reached 14 years. I was babysitting a puppy who seemed to rejuvinate my boy for a few days. He ended up passing away after literally playing himself to death and using up all he had left. He had more fun those last days than the entire previous year!

When we do agility we always try to end the sessions with a positve note like maybe one last run over the teeter or through a tunnel something the dog loves and is good at. Reading your post about the end of your dogs life made me think wouldn't it be great if all our lives and the lives of our pets could end with one last positive event so the last thing we knew during our earthbound life was joy and satisfaction? or perhaps put this way "to die with a smile on our face".

Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
We rescued a puppy pit mix years ago. He was found wondering along a road, in pretty bad condition. The local pound would not take him for adoption because he looked like a pit. The vet threatened to muzzle him before he even did one thing. No one claimed him, so we decided to keep him. (Once I make eye contact, there is no turning back!)

He was the most patient, caring, gentle dog you could ever hope for. Kids could trip over him, step on his tail, take food away from him, and he just acted grateful for the attention. He was my companion with nighttime feedings when we had babies. He helped keep the kids herded when we played outside as they grew. He played catch tirelessly with the kids when they were older. And, he kept my kitchen floor spotless!

Many people warned us against keeping this dog with babies around, but I am glad we gave him a chance. There is no way he could have been any better dog for our family.

My mom and I rescued a pit puppy once. It was right before Christmas and freezing rain out and probably about 25 degrees. We were walking my boxer who hates cats and is also dog aggressive. All the sudden we yanked my arm and started trying to attack something. At first I thought it was a cat but my mom got down bewteen the two and it was a tiny, tiny black and white pit puppy. We walked around to all the houses near by and she belonged to no one. I couldnt take her to the shelter because as a pit she would be put down. It was funny because just a day before a co-worker and I had a long talk about how much he loved pits and really wanted one. I put her in a cardboard box in the back seat of my car and drove her to my work and walked in with her in my jacket. I walked into the office and was like "Remember how you said you wanted a pit?" I opened my jacket and he fell in love with her. He said he had to talk it over with his girlfriend. He called me the next morning at 8am and wanted to know when he could come and get her. Tasha now lives her life happyily as a boston terrier/lab mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs