Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:10 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,792,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
My only thought is that do you think she'd try to climb or jump over it - ? If not, go for it, maybe would get her used to it gradually when you're home so she'll be used to it and comfortable in it when you leave.
No, she won't try to climb or jump. I'll be trying it this weekend when I'm home to see how she does, to make sure she won't try something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 PM

I won't use diapers, either. Don't know how long she'll be wet. Plus, as her hair grows out, it would be a total mess. I had her shaved down a month ago, so diapers would probably work now, but not later.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
The diapers may sound like a good idea but when My first dog Maddie was old she leaked while she slept and DES and other treatment did not work so I decided to try diapers while I was at work( when I was home I would make her lay on the washable pads you can use in human beds or chairs).

That first night she pouted when I put them on sat there looking so sad but they worked. The next night I put them on, now mind you she had a dog door and used it when she needed too so this was only for leaking in her sleep.Well that night she had to poop, went outside but had the diaper on so it was contained by the diaper. I came home to a dog that seemed very traumatized and smelled and Oh what a mess when I took the diaper off as the poop as all smooshed into her fur. I decided I would never put the diapers on her again and instead gated her in the dining room with lots of washable pads and small blankets to sleep on as washing them was easier then seeing what pooping in a diaper did to her mentally.

oh ... that poor girl .... i can just imagine!! i know how upset and traumatized bailey would be if something like that happened......

Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 28,745 times
Since she is blind and a senior, I am sure that most of her time is spent sleeping. Go ahead and put her in an X-pen. Give her a comfy bed and maybe a Kong with peanut butter in it to occupy her time. Also be sure she has plenty of water in your absence. With her aging issues, this actually could be a kindness for her.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,884,535 times
I wouldn't think twice about crating her while you are gone. She'll probably be much happier. The crate will provide her security.

I wouldn't give her water, though. You don't her to go in the crate, nor do you want her to have to hold it all day. Give her water in the morning. Take her out and let her go to the bathroom. Crate her for the few hours you are at work. And give plenty of water the rest of the afternoon and evening.

She'll be fine.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:48 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,596,179 times
Have you tried any sort of medicine to help with her incontinence?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Let me know how the tarp works out. We tried it for Willie, to protect our floors (he has separation anxiety and routinely lifts his leg and pees outside of his crate shortly after we leave, regardless of how long or short a time we'll be gone), but all he did was shred the tarp.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 PM

268 posts, read 702,899 times
I think dogs should always have water available to them.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,253,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, she'll be penned inside the house, in the living room. I left her free today, I need to buy one of those dishes that can latch onto the wire of the pen so I can keep her water there. I'm contemplating laying down a tarp, then all her bedding on top of that to protect the floor.

NOW I get that idea!

Tarp is a great idea. Do whatever is easy for you to clean up.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Have you tried any sort of medicine to help with her incontinence?
She's not incontinent, I'm just not home to put her on the pad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs