Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,807,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Let me know how the tarp works out. We tried it for Willie, to protect our floors (he has separation anxiety and routinely lifts his leg and pees outside of his crate shortly after we leave, regardless of how long or short a time we'll be gone), but all he did was shred the tarp.
A rescue I work with lay down those blue tarps to protect the store's floor (where they hold adoptions). Keeps the floor dry. I still need to go get one for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,049 times
I would make sure she has room to move around some in the crate . Also I'd put her in it a few minutes at a time while your at home to get her use to it .

I have one I will have to crate next tiem we leave she gets really mad when we go somewhere .

Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 AM

889 posts, read 2,711,289 times
I kennel my dog when I am out. He would bring harm to himself and my house if I didn't! Is it true when they say that dogs don't have any sense of time? That makes me feel better if I am out for a few hours. He is always happy to see us upon our return, but would go right back in the kennel if I offered him a treat, which makes me think he didn't remember that he was just in there for a few hours. I don't think you should feel guilty, just make sure the kennel is large enough for your dog to stand up and turn around.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,807,966 times
I won't be using a crate to contain her. I'll be using an x-pen, 8 panels, 3 ft high, when set up is about 4-5 ft across from all panels. here's what I will be using, the first one on the page:

Pet Crates Direct | Dog Exercise Pens - Factory Direct Prices

So, plenty of room for her bed, dishes, and puppy pads.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,291 times
We crate our bulldog when we go to work for her safety, she is a chewer. Although our bulldog is only 45 pounds we bought the largest crate ( great dane sized) which allows her to have plenty of space.

In your case it sounds like an x-pen would be perfectly fine.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,680,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I won't be using a crate to contain her. I'll be using an x-pen, 8 panels, 3 ft high, when set up is about 4-5 ft across from all panels. here's what I will be using, the first one on the page:

Pet Crates Direct | Dog Exercise Pens - Factory Direct Prices

So, plenty of room for her bed, dishes, and puppy pads.
I think your dog will be fine with that. I can't stand crates and used something similar to what you are getting when my dogs were going through their puppy phases and they did fine.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:27 AM

409 posts, read 872,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
We crate our bulldog when we go to work for her safety, she is a chewer. Although our bulldog is only 45 pounds we bought the largest crate ( great dane sized) which allows her to have plenty of space.

In your case it sounds like an x-pen would be perfectly fine.
That's a great idea. I have a bulldog puppy that I x-pen when I go to work. When I brough it I figured I use it just until she gets to be 6 months. Then I would leave her in my yard when I am at work. But now I don't think that will work since its gets 96 - 100+ in the summer here in Texas. I don't know how long the x-pen will safely contain her, she is growing up so fast. So I may end up buying an extra large crate to hold her.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
I don't, but lots of people crate their dogs while they are at work to keep them out of trouble.

Baby gates are another option for you so that she's not in a little box.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 AM

48,101 posts, read 21,985,223 times
I really think your dog will be fine ..... better than fine. We all (dogs and people) have to make accomodations....its part of the social contract. You are doing what is right for you and your dog....and because of it....you can continue to provide her a loving home! No Guilt!!!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,208,191 times
I'm not a fan of crating for the most part but your x-pen sounds like it will give her a little more room and mobility. Hopefully she will be able to pee in one end and then move to the other end to stay clean and dry. Would'n't closing her in a bathroom on linoleum with a soft bed be about the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs