Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times

Advertisements

Update:

Shadow was much brighter today. She greeted us, wagged her tail the entire time, passed out kisses, and talked to us.

We took her out for a quick potty break. Her urine was extremely dark, indicative of the liver problem.

When we got back inside she actually played laser tag for a few minutes.

She is drinking water, but still not interested in food. Until she is able to eat she has to stay at the vet.

When she does get home we will have to keep her fat intake under 10%. Shadow has a long list of food allergies. We are going to have to switch her to a raw diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:41 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,514 times
So sorry to hear your Shadow is going through such a rough time. My Sheba was on deaths door just last October with off the scale liver enzymes, and now her liver enzymes are completely normal. So you can take comfort in knowing that the liver is able to make such fantastic recoveries. What do they have Shadow on as far as meds? And have they done an ultrasound on the liver / gallbladder area? Have they also suggested that Shadow eats a low protein diet? Well wishes to Shadow, and I hope he feels better soon.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:03 PM

The dietary concern for Shadow is fat. The liver was damaged by an acute pancreatitis episode.

I know that they have her on antibiotics and pain meds, pushed through her IV. Once she starts eating again they will treat with Milk Thistle to help the liver.

I got lucky and found a place that raises meat on grass only. They have 2 choices for a raw diet for dogs, both under $3/pound. With shipping it is going to cost 1/2 of what it would to buy commercially. Because of food allergies she needs to eat bison.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
The dietary concern for Shadow is fat. The liver was damaged by an acute pancreatitis episode.

I know that they have her on antibiotics and pain meds, pushed through her IV. Once she starts eating again they will treat with Milk Thistle to help the liver.

I got lucky and found a place that raises meat on grass only. They have 2 choices for a raw diet for dogs, both under $3/pound. With shipping it is going to cost 1/2 of what it would to buy commercially. Because of food allergies she needs to eat bison.
Wow, that sounds like a good deal on the bison meat. Well, that's good that she won't have to be on any long term meds following her IV treatment. Milk thistle is great for the liver... sounds like she'll do great once she starts eating.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Happy update:

Shadow ate a few bites of food yesterday. She is drinking normally. They took her off the IV late yesterday. She has been getting her meds orally. So far everything has stayed down. She did not eat this morning, but around lunch time she conned one of the techs into opening her a can of food and she ate some.

Her pancreatic numbers are normal. Liver numbers are elevated, but no longer dangerously so.

They told me to call at 4:30 and if she has kept everything down she can come home today.

Everyone cross your fingers, toes, eyes, and whatever else ya' got!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Happy update:

Shadow ate a few bites of food yesterday. She is drinking normally. They took her off the IV late yesterday. She has been getting her meds orally. So far everything has stayed down. She did not eat this morning, but around lunch time she conned one of the techs into opening her a can of food and she ate some.

Her pancreatic numbers are normal. Liver numbers are elevated, but no longer dangerously so.

They told me to call at 4:30 and if she has kept everything down she can come home today.

Everyone cross your fingers, toes, eyes, and whatever else ya' got!
Everything is crossed! EVERYTHING! Fingers, toes, eyes... legs.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM

Yay!!!!! Shadow is home!!!! She is her normal tail wagging, smiley faced self again!

She came with 4 scripts (and HATES taking pills).

With her food allergies the vet sent me out to buy some tilapia for her to eat until her raw food comes in.

The bill wasn't nearly as high as I was expecting. I think they may have taken pity on me......

Thank you all for the support!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 384 times
My 3 mini schnauzers discovered my grandson Easter Basket. 2 of the 3 got pancreatitis. Went to the vet, blood work, anti-biotics. Had to start them on very small meals of canned prescription ID LOW FAT.
All went well. No other attacks UNTIL rabi shot. One reacted and had a bad episode. She is ok now but we are not doing any more shots of any kind. You can be exempt of rabi shot with vet's note and town clerk. My dogs are not exposed to any elements leading to it. We don't do parks. We play in the house and take periodic walks around the block. I purchased a homeopathic book, "Dr Pitcairn's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats". It has a wealth of information for any illness/disease. I highly recommend having that on hand. That is where I am getting my healthy recipes from for them.
Good Luck!!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 AM

279 posts, read 544,351 times
My hound had pancreatitis. Funny thing is that I never feed her human food and she never lost her appetite. . She was on antibiotics for a few days. I now have them on Nature's Variety Raw Boost and she is doing great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs