Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,823,508 times

Advertisements

I've never attempted to train a chi to follow basic commands. Now that I think about it, I've never SEEN a chi follow them. Now I have 2 that can certainly use that training to help get them adopted. But I gotta tell you, they're so spazzy I can't hold their attention sometimes. They just want to jump up and lick, lick, lick. That's it.

Both are 3-4 years old, one female (very demanding dog), and one male (more passive personality, but still very exciteable).

I tried teaching the "watch me" command, but I can't get them to sit still if they have my attention.

Where do I start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,935,440 times
Yes, easily. They are very smart. I'm surprised you don't know that. You also have to treat them with love, though, not just "bark" commands and expect a response. If you treat them lovingly, they are very trainable.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,686 times
I have seen them with multiple titles in the ring . I believe I even saw one with an OTCH title. GO for it!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,949,554 times
I have also watched several at the top levels of Obedience Competitions. They can do great. Go to the AKC website and see if you can find a local club. Many offer training. Otherwise, search for Obedience Clubs in your area (also can be done through the AKC website). Watch me isn't one of the first commands you want to teach. You need to get sit, and other basic commands first and then work on watch me. Little dogs seem to struggle more with that command because of their size. Good Luck! I love watching Chihuahuas at Obedience Competitions and one of our good friends is a leading breeder who has quite a few who do well in those competitions.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Ok, I'll start with the sit command first. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes, easily. They are very smart. I'm surprised you don't know that. You also have to treat them with love, though, not just "bark" commands and expect a response. If you treat them lovingly, they are very trainable.
Well, duh. Why would you assume I'm not treating them this way? If you can't be helpful, say nothing.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,935,440 times
I'll say what I want. My thinking was that it is so obvious that chi's are smart, that if you have them and don't know that there must be other issues . . . if that's not the case with you, great! "If the shoe don't fit, don't wear it."

Old 11-13-2010, 10:42 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
well my families 3 know all kinds of tricks, commands and fun stuff so yes it is possible.
the key is
1: training them seperatly (together they will just distract eachother)
2: finding the right motivation, some dogs are motivated by toys, others treats, others only very specific kinds of treats
3: repetition
4: short FUN sessions, they are incredibly inteligent and get bored VERY easy...
5: NEVER do training when your dog is hyped up...i never train soon after they wake up (there too bouncy when theyve just woken) and will typically either have a good play in the garden or go for a walk with them before training...you dont want them exhausted but you want them more focused on the task.

some tricks with training smaller dogs too, get on their level, standing above them typically leads to jumping ect, instead sit on the floor with them while doing most of the training, you can eventually work up to standing next to them ect, but to start get on their level.

dont repeat commands, this works for any breed but again, wowies get bored...easily...and will stop listening if there just not understanding your request...(think of it this way, to them your speaking martian!, there is a big language barrier so you have to lure them, 'show' them what to do)

there are many methods of learning...
i like to lure "tough" dogs rather than trying to let them figure it out...
so say for a sit, show them the treat and lift it slowly above the head, not far and keep it close to the nose, head lifts up but goes down they get the treat the MOMENT the butt hits the floor...dont use words yet, just keep repeating the behaviour untill eventually you get to the point where simply lifting the treat a tiny bit illicits the 'oh i need to put my butt down" responce...then and only then should you add the word sit.
eventually they realize that the word "sit" means to put the butt on the ground.

just be patient, try doing one on one rather than trying to teach them at the same time and try not to get frustrated as that just feeds their frustration.
they are smart and can learn commands quickly with the right motivation i promise

Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
Of course they are very smart...as smart as cats, which means, they will look at you, and decide that they are smarter than you, and not listen to anything you say, unless they want to...No, they are very smart, the post above has some excellent ideas.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:29 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,414,551 times
Of course Chi's can be trained. Best way to start is to exercise them before working with them. Once they have burned off a bit excess energy, they listen much better. If you are unsure on how to proceed, contacting a certified trainer wouldn't be a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs