U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM

112 posts, read 503,945 times

Advertisements

If so, what do you typically use?? Do you just use a scissors or a razor??

If you include trimming of claws as grooming, do you use the PediPaw or a nail scissors??

We do it all ourselves.....my wife does, anyway. Grooming is pretty expensive, and since we're not making our Yorkie into a showdog I don't think it matters anyway. But we have NO luck with the razor. He is scared to death of it. Therefore, we have to use a scissors....and this can take nearly an hour to do. I do think the finished product isn't bad, though. At first I thought it'd be a hack job but the truth is that it isn't all that difficult to do.

As for the claws. It's tricky. Unlike cats, you can't really see the quick on him, and I've cut too short too many times. We've tried the PediPaw but he just will not sit still no matter what. It's nearly impossible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM

5,142 posts, read 12,380,759 times
Getting the grooming arm and a table to attach it to will help immensely. My dog is ok with the sound of the clippers but using grooming tools, he is able to stay still. I buy the cooling spray so I spray in between sessions so I can get the clippers clean, cooled and ready for some more! He is a mini schanuzer and I am learning more and more everyday on the proper cut to give him. Every time I give him a cut, I get better and better. It takes some practice. With some of the mats, I cut them out in a way that they don't look like I've balded him.
I use the regular nail trimmers and even though he doesn't really like it, he stays still enough to get the job done. I've heard negative reviews of the pedi paws. A lot of folks find the dremmel tool much easier on trimming dog nails.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,291,194 times
I am considering doing my own grooming on my Westie. I am torn between the clippers and regular scissors. She goes berserk when I try to comb/brush the mats off her tummy. I have priced the clippers and they seem so expensive. Has anyone on here ever just used people clippers? Up until a few months ago I took them all to the vet to cut the nails I was a bonified wus when it came to cutting their nails. One day I just jumped in and started doing it myself it does get easier but I am afraid I don't cut enough off. I do have some skyptic powder in case I get too close to the quick but I am still nervous. I do cut the bunnies nails and I don't get a bit nervous about that-go figure.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,582,826 times
I do all grooming myself. When I had 3 Maltese, long haired ones, it was a loooong day.

Every time I took them to the pet shop they came back ridiculously beautiful but very miserable. So I decided to do it myself. They were less miserable then.

I use scissors and nail trimmers. And during summers I keep them with quite short hair.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:54 PM

5,142 posts, read 12,380,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I am considering doing my own grooming on my Westie. I am torn between the clippers and regular scissors. She goes berserk when I try to comb/brush the mats off her tummy. I have priced the clippers and they seem so expensive. Has anyone on here ever just used people clippers? Up until a few months ago I took them all to the vet to cut the nails I was a bonified wus when it came to cutting their nails. One day I just jumped in and started doing it myself it does get easier but I am afraid I don't cut enough off. I do have some skyptic powder in case I get too close to the quick but I am still nervous. I do cut the bunnies nails and I don't get a bit nervous about that-go figure.
Clippers and scissors are both needed to groom the westie but it depends on the look you are going for.
My dog goes beserk to when I try to brush off tummy mats so I carefully cut them out when I can't brush.
It's not a matter of if you will get too close to the quick but when. It's a experience of at least once; after that, it seems to be less daunting.
I haven't used people clippers before; I have a Andis Dog Clipper pair that I purchased for about $100. You can also try craigslist to see if anyone is selling a pair. Best bet is to get a new replacement razor thingy just in case.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:57 PM

19,107 posts, read 29,122,069 times
Both of our dogs are short haired, so there isn't much in the area of clipping (thank goodness) but for their nails I use an LED lamp which makes it easier to see the quick. Tool wise, there's a great pair of side clippers that are normally used on tennis string that work AMAZINGLY well. They stay really sharp and are very ergonomic. It took months before my dogs would stand still for nail trimming, but just give them little treats and they'll catch on

I used to fit livestock for shows (beef cattle, dairy goats, sheep and hogs) and believe me... dogs are sooooo much easier to deal with.

Also, try looking for clippers (NOT shearers though) on livestock websites. The companies generally charge more for clippers made for 'dogs' than clippers made for 'goats', even though they're the same product.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 PM

16 posts, read 61,533 times
I groom my mini schnauzer myself. After researching prices for groomers I decided it would probably be easier to do myself and less expensive.
The first time I groomed him I research the "traditional" cut and used some human clippers on him. Let me tell you, that took FOREVER. I had to have my husband hold him down whilst I ran the clippers over & over on his fur. It took us nearly 2.5hrs including breaks. Those clippers were not such a good idea.
The 2nd time I groomed him, I went out to Petco & purchased some ANIMAL clippers by ANDIS. They came in a package set called like the ANDIS pro, I think. Also came with the #10 metal clipper blade that you can take off and switch or use plastic guards with. It was only about $80 with a 10%off discount I had. Best investment ever for grooming. It took us only 30minutes to groom him that time & the clippers are quite so my lil guy wasnt all that afraid.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 AM

214 posts, read 707,534 times
We trim our pug/poodle mix with scissors. It does not look good, but I don't think she knows.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,291,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Clippers and scissors are both needed to groom the westie but it depends on the look you are going for.
My dog goes beserk to when I try to brush off tummy mats so I carefully cut them out when I can't brush.
It's not a matter of if you will get too close to the quick but when. It's a experience of at least once; after that, it seems to be less daunting.
I haven't used people clippers before; I have a Andis Dog Clipper pair that I purchased for about $100. You can also try craigslist to see if anyone is selling a pair. Best bet is to get a new replacement razor thingy just in case.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of Craigs List I will check that out. I also have resorted to cutting the mats out the rest of her is ok it's just the tummy area I have trouble getting to.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODAK1979 View Post
If so, what do you typically use?? Do you just use a scissors or a razor??

If you include trimming of claws as grooming, do you use the PediPaw or a nail scissors??

We do it all ourselves.....my wife does, anyway. Grooming is pretty expensive, and since we're not making our Yorkie into a showdog I don't think it matters anyway. But we have NO luck with the razor. He is scared to death of it. Therefore, we have to use a scissors....and this can take nearly an hour to do. I do think the finished product isn't bad, though. At first I thought it'd be a hack job but the truth is that it isn't all that difficult to do.

As for the claws. It's tricky. Unlike cats, you can't really see the quick on him, and I've cut too short too many times. We've tried the PediPaw but he just will not sit still no matter what. It's nearly impossible.
I've tried the pedi-paw and think it's garbage. Dremel makes a rechargeable cordless model with a sanding drum specifically for filing pet claws. It is much more quiet than the corded models and doesn't operate at such high RPM's so the dog will not perceive heat from friction. I think it's about $25 from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Dremel 761-03 Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool:…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs