Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 AM

66 posts, read 175,737 times

Advertisements

Thanks Newcastle..looking forward to moving up North. Are the schools there accredited? I will only have my 13 yr old starting high school, he starts 8th grade this year so I may stay here until he finishes the 8th grade and hubby will be there for awhile without us, depending on when he will be notified to move. My son is an honor student straight A's since kindergarten. I wil continue to look into the area, looking at pictures, etc. thanks again. Any negative or postive feedback anyone can give? Gangs, crime rate, what is to do around the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JstmeinVA View Post
Thanks Newcastle..looking forward to moving up North. Are the schools there accredited? I will only have my 13 yr old starting high school, he starts 8th grade this year so I may stay here until he finishes the 8th grade and hubby will be there for awhile without us, depending on when he will be notified to move. My son is an honor student straight A's since kindergarten. I wil continue to look into the area, looking at pictures, etc. thanks again. Any negative or postive feedback anyone can give? Gangs, crime rate, what is to do around the area?
The Duluth Public schools are indeed legit. University of Minnesota Duluth and Lake Superior College are both legit accredited colleges. They also have other schools up there as well that I personally don't know anything about. Theres also something happening about the 3 high schools becoming 2 high schools, I myself don't know anything about it. Hopefully someone else knows about that.
Here is a list of all schools in Duluth
List of schools in Duluth, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM

243 posts, read 594,695 times
I'm so happy you are interested in moving to the Duluth area! I have grown up here, and absolutely love everything about it. The winters are long, and I used to dread winter. SO, I decided to enjoy whatever there was to enjoy out of it. Last year we bought the whole family cross-country skis, and we had a BLAST. We are actually excited for winter this year, aside from the snowman building, snow shoeing, and the peacefulness of that time of year. There is something very calming about that time of year.

With regard to the Duluth schools, pretty much every school is undergoing renovation or complete rebuild. It is something that has been needed for a very long time, in my opinion. It has been pretty controversial, but knowing the condition of some of the schools, I am so excited for this to happen.

The Duluth Public Schools have a great progress site:
Duluth Public Schools - Long Range Facilities Plan

My children have only been in the elementary system, but I would match it up against any other good school district. The MCA test scores at my son's school were in the top 1 to 3 percent of the state. The teachers are amazing, and even with an old, decaying building, they've achieved phenomenal test scores. I know test scores aren't everything, but the commitment to the kids is tremendous.

They are in the process of either building or reconstructing their middle schools. So, for the next school year, it will still be in limbo. I don't believe they've started the western middle school, and I believe the eastern middle school is one school year away.

Another great site is Northern Images Photography - it truly showcases the beauty of our area. Sure, there are some areas of town that have run-down homes and the streets are bad in spots (but improving). You'll always find people who aren't happy - but if you have a great outlook and find the best there is to do and see here, I know you'll love it. One of my co-workers came here with his wife in the Spring, after getting his job here. His wife hated it so much and cried, vomited, and almost had a nervous breakdown. One year later, she said she could not think of a better place to live and raise a family. Now she was a bit dramatic, but either you come to adore Duluth or you just don't. My wife was the same way - when she got here she said she would only stay a year and then transfer out. Now you couldn't pry her from here - she just loves it so much. There is so much hiking, and other outdoor activities in the Duluth area and along the North Shore, and if you enjoy the outdoors, you will have the time of your life.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:42 PM

66 posts, read 175,737 times
Thanks for such great info, I was born and raised I until age 13 on Long Island New York. then moved to VA, was in the military and moved a bit but settled back in VA, this area has changed so much we need a change..lol We have never been skiing before and would love to try it out, here we don't get too much snow (if any), here the schools close with just a dusting, last year they closed it because they heard it would snow..lol and it didn't. I love the outdoors. I am used to moving so I don't think I will be too dramatic..lol Maybe a little scared because I will not know anyone.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 PM

721 posts, read 2,610,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JstmeinVA View Post
Thanks for such great info, I was born and raised I until age 13 on Long Island New York. then moved to VA, was in the military and moved a bit but settled back in VA, this area has changed so much we need a change..lol We have never been skiing before and would love to try it out, here we don't get too much snow (if any), here the schools close with just a dusting, last year they closed it because they heard it would snow..lol and it didn't. I love the outdoors. I am used to moving so I don't think I will be too dramatic..lol Maybe a little scared because I will not know anyone.
They never close schools here unless it is 45 below with wind chill factor. I'm serious, that's not a joke.

Other colleges in the area are, the College of St. Scholastica which is the fastest private growing college in the state for like the 5th year in a row and University Wisconsin, Superior.

There are lots of things to do in Duluth. Check out www.visitduluth.com for listed events. There is a great ski program at Chesterbowl. You can all get family lessons for a super reasonable price and free passes at the ski hill. Super cool program, but witha 13 year old, he or she may be more intersted in Spirit Mountain which is also in the city and is an excellent ski hill for the midwest.

The city has 23 parks almost all with streams and rivers and some are trout streams. The downtown is i the process of revitalization along East Superiro street. Although the streets up from it are a bit dumpy and there is crime along 1st.

Some of the Western Neighborhoods are run down, especially Lincoln Park. The most run dwon areas are the Central and East Hillside which are the oldest neighborhoods in Duluth. Lots of rentals and tiny old houses. The further east you go the better the neighborhoods are. Lots of big old Mansions along east 2,3, and 4th streets and into the Congdon neighborhood.

New developments are few and far between, but you will find them in Duluth. Most are in Hermantown which is hard to tell that it is a different city aside form a sign letting you know.

Duluth is a city that you feel you are living in the outdoors due to the forest feel. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM

100 posts, read 253,543 times
Where to live: There are some great homes on top of the hill near Hermantown. But, some of the best areas are in the eastern neighborhoods, like Congdon.

Schools:As for schools, send your kid to Duluth Marshall, where he can avoid the headache that is the redplan. Especially if he is a good student as you say, Marshall will challenge him much more. However, if private schools aren't you're thing, the Duluth Public Schools are also good.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
As far as the much earlier comment about the cost of living in Duluth being dirt cheap, just a fair warning that that is a false statement. It may be cheaper than some areas, but believe me, it's not. It's always a shock to me when I'm back home in Duluth and go to the grocery store for example. I about fall over at prices that are sometimes twice what they are here in Rochester.

But welcome to Duluth. As a grad of both St. Scholastica and Lake Superior College, I can honestly say they are both great colleges. If you have nothing else to do, it's always nice to head to the Lakewalk and walk or just sit and enjoy the view and a nice malt from the Malte Shoppe.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Wait.

You got a job offer? In Duluth? You're a jokester!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Wait.

You got a job offer? In Duluth? You're a jokester!
Lol, there was an older thread were someone said they got a job offer in Duluth and people were like "yeah right"

Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
...haha... but seriously though, congrats on the job offer. Duluth will not let you down (Except the weather from December to April and then June... and the Roads.... and the lack of pro-development....) other than that it's an awesome place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth