Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times

Advertisements

The Duluth Fire Dept along with Solid Waste Compliance are about to begin a blight reduction program.

Beginning August 15, individual City of Duluth Fire companies will begin covering their respective districts, inspecting residential and private properties for:
·Abandoned, unlicensed vehicles
·Excessive accumulation of junk
·Houses needing excessive maintenance
·Excessive accumulation of solid waste
·Visible house numbers (address)
·Vacant and unsecured buildings
·Overgrown yards
·Overgrown vegetation which blocks sidewalks and street intersections
·Dilapidated garages/sheds

Well, it's about frickin time-only about 80 years overdue! They could pretty well close their eyes and just place their finger anywhere on a Duluth map and start at that spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
I agree. Hopefully they are as tough on slumlords and nasty college houses as they are saying.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,314 times
When I was an Intern for the City of Duluth I started this implementation. Glad to see it take off.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM

I used to do inspections for an unnamed suburb in the Twin Cities. We would do inspections and issue letters to any home that had ANYTHING that wasn't tied down to the ground. So, you name it. ANYTHING. Even one piece of 2x4 on the side of the garage. I would issue a letter saying they had 15 days for it to be gone. When I went there 15 days later and it was still there, They'd get 1 more letter for 7 days. If not gone after those 7, we'd go and issue a fine of $45. If the fine was not paid in 45 days, they would be taken to court and have a judgment put on their public record if they didn't show or didn't pay.

It's an excellent way for a city to ensure that a) the property values are retaining and maybe even increasing their value. b) great way to promote healthy living c) way to generate revenue.

I think Code Enforcement is awesome. It's a little on the side of Big Brother, but for pete's sake people, if you store your junk in a) your garage b) your shed c) a storage shed rented from a place d) your attic e) your basement.... if you don't have room in any of those places, then it's probably not a valuable item, so toss it.

So that was the biggest thing with the junk on properties. Home owners basically saying "I didn't have anywhere to throw it away"....Um, ever heard of a dump?

Also, Housing Maintenance should come with that too. We did housing maintenance.... meaning any home owner with chipping paint (>25% paint missing), bad roofs, broken windows, missing facia, broken doors, missing siding, you name it. They'd get the same letters, but fines were $100 not $45. So, a major incentive for homeowners: Spend $45 on a bucket of paint or $100 on a fine. You choose.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Oh yeah, and the big one was long grass. People thought it was so great that the 'city' would come and mow their law. Some people would even wave and say "Thanks!" as they mowers would leave... Little did they know they'd get a $60 bill in the mail a week later... hehehehe.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
I dunno, Duluth's yards aren't as bad as I've seen some. But it's good that they're starting this now.

Here in Arizona, they're way too reliant on HOAs to enforce these things. I think it should be a city thing, and subdivisions shouldn't be so restrictive. But what can ya do?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 AM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
This can be good and bad. Good to get rid of junk cars and obvious signs of decay. But having lived under several HOA's, I know that some rules can become unreasonable - and some of the people enforcing them can get a bit overzealous.

Not that it will be like this here. Just saying that things like this CAN get nit-picky if common sense is forgotten. Also, some people simply can't afford certain repairs. How far will the city go in fining people who not only can't afford to paint their homes, but can't even pay the fines for not painting?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
But having lived under several HOA's, I know that some rules can become unreasonable - and some of the people enforcing them can get a bit overzealous.
The city of Duluth knows it's demographics. They know how many low-income and/or elderly live in Duluth. I highly doubt they'll be setting their expectations as high as a HOA may expect.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
The Duluth Fire Dept along with Solid Waste Compliance are about to begin a blight reduction program.

Beginning August 15, individual City of Duluth Fire companies will begin covering their respective districts, inspecting residential and private properties for:
·Abandoned, unlicensed vehicles
·Excessive accumulation of junk
·Houses needing excessive maintenance
·Excessive accumulation of solid waste
·Visible house numbers (address)
·Vacant and unsecured buildings
·Overgrown yards
·Overgrown vegetation which blocks sidewalks and street intersections
·Dilapidated garages/sheds

Well, it's about frickin time-only about 80 years overdue! They could pretty well close their eyes and just place their finger anywhere on a Duluth map and start at that spot.
Good thing I don't live within the Duluth city limits...

Keep your hands off my property!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Good thing I don't live within the Duluth city limits...

Keep your hands off my property!
Well, that's one of those things you should expect when living in city limits. If you want 'City' amentities, you should respect the fact that there are standards and rules to live by. If you want cars in your front yard, and junk on the side of your house, move to the country where people don't have to see your junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth