Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 PM

232 posts, read 736,021 times

Advertisements

Like I've said in the past - Duluth is a great place if you are heterosexual and in a relationship. If you are neither, it's not much fun. There are no dating options here if you are seeking someone professional, somewhat sophisticated, and open to different ideas (read - not a religious fanatic). The downtown is changing a lot. One major scumbag bar on Superior Street (Red Lion) is closed; if the Kozy Bar is closed, you may see a major change in east downtown that nobody ever thought would happen. The only thing is, the priorities in this city need to change. I work in emergency medicine so I see the same thing every single day - young women with no money and no education with out of state addresses, touting multiple children they can not and will not take any responsibility for. What we have is a city that is tailored towards very low functioning, non educated people with kids. There is no incentive to aspire to be single, educated, and have financial success before making major life-changing decisions. There is always a safety net, a low-income, do-nothing watchdog group, or some church group that will hand out everything from rolls of toilet paper to giving these people free couches so long as they come to their services. So what we end up with is a very pathetic cross section of people who are used to getting everything for nothing, and believe me, these people have struck a gold mine up here. They are never going to leave.

The quality of health care here is great - I will say that without thinking twice. No other city this size has a heart center, a burn center and a cancer center of this caliber. Health promotion is a great thing here and it is taken seriously - except for a decent health club. The options for fitness centers here is horrible and something I would expect to see in a city a third of Duluth's size. The fitness center at SMDC is always jam packed with people from the moment it opens until the moment it closes. Even in the Twin Cities I have never seen health clubs that crowded. You will get your locker raided at the YMCA (even if it's locked) and it just seems like the place is stuck in the 80's. Anytime Fitness isn't bad; in fact it's probably the only place in Duluth that isn't overcrowded or uncomfortable. But we sure could use a Lifetime Fitness here or something like it. The transit system here is great also, I've used it and have never had any problems figuring out the transit map or system. Everything is relatively well connected.

Neighborhoods here are changing rapidly. The west end is becoming much like south Minneapolis - it's definitely not a safe place to be judging from the stories I hear. Much of east Duluth has been wrecked by UMD students who have, over the last 15 years. ruined many single family homes that would have otherwise been great starter homes for others. Now nobody wants to live near these kids, and the rental properties look horrible. Hermantown is still a little too redneck for me, lots of pickup trucks and country music blaring from Fords and Chevys. There may be some new homes there but it does not give a suburban vibe at all (to me anyways). East of UMD is great, in fact probably the best part of Duluth. Once downtown really gets off the ground I will be interested to see what other housing options will be opening up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 PM

5 posts, read 31,554 times
I can understand some of the anti-Duluth statements. but in my opinion they are being blown way out of proportion. Yes, the economy of Duluth is not that of the Twin Cities, but why should it be? The 150,000 in the Duluth metro can't even compare with the 3+ million in the Cities. Crime is also not as bad as people say. It is just a bigger deal here when something is going down because it really does not happen all that much.

Over the years, I have seen the changes Duluth had to make when the Iron Range shut down. It had to completely change its economy, not an easy thing to do, especially when the population dropped from the mid 100,000's to only 85,000. The thing is, it would not be the same if it was a larger city today. Duluthians love the fact that there is hardly any traffic (unless it's Hwy. 61 on a Sunday afternoon), the parks and recreation areas are not over crowded, and there are even still parts of beautiful Lake Superior that are undeveloped that we can take advantage of.

From my vantage point, it's on the rebound. There are many more construction projects going on than I can remember. The condo development is a big step, even if they don't draw in permanent residents. The Twin Cities folk who can afford the $1.2 million dollar lake condo will pump in tax dollars and when they are up here doing the touristy thing, they will spend money in Duluth. I think thats a step in the right direction.

With the potential for a young face in city hall, I think Duluth can get on the right track to becoming more economically stable. It really needs to work on attracting and making it easier for businesses to get started, and with the UMD expansions, and another proposed office building for downtown, I believe that Duluth will be more than a place for people to visit and make rash judgments about.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 18,794 times
Duluth is an incredible city. My husband and I visit whenever we can. There are a couple of reasons we need to stay where we are for the time being, but when and if possible - Duluth - here we come!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
Well put, Traillover.My grandparents lived in Duluth, the WestEnd to be precise. Grandpa was the Section Chief for the DM&IR, they lived at the end of 57th Avenue, in the 4 story railroad house. When Grandpa retired the RR closed that section of the track and tore down the house.

We frequently went to Duluth, I have always loved the city. The jobs available were low paying and I needed to make more money so I moved to a metro area. Now that I'm nearly 60 years old I'm moving back to Minnesota. I'm a vet and need the medical facility in St. Cloud, so that's likely where I will go. If I didn't need the VA I would definitely move to Duluth.

Few years ago I spent a summer in Hibbing and went to Duluth frequently. It was a pleasant surprise to find some of the business that I remember from my youth to still be viable. Shame about that overhead 35 though, who the heck approved that.
There's actually a VA clinic across the bridge in Superior, which Minnesotan vets use.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM

130 posts, read 527,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie, Hudson, WI View Post
Duluth is an incredible city. My husband and I visit whenever we can. There are a couple of reasons we need to stay where we are for the time being, but when and if possible - Duluth - here we come!
Please make sure do to all research before moving! Being a visitor to this state and living here are extremely different! Good luck in your decison.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:50 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Hey all, I've been lurking in these forums for awhile, but this thread made me register. Having been born and raised in Duluth and continuing to live here, I think I have a different view point than some others, especially since I'm still in my low 20s.

I grew up out in Normanna township (past Lakewood township) and went to Lakewood Elementary (which might I add was an excellent school), so I didn't get into into town too often. Since then, I've lived right on Woodland Ave (a few blocks up from 21st), Rice Lake Rd and now currently in Duluth Heights, right off of central entrance. It seems that my attitude differs from some other of my friends that also grew up here, in that they can't wait to leave. Not necessarily because Duluth is a bad place to live, but rather, they want the "big city" life, or they just want to get out of their home town.

In my time growing up here, I've only seen Duluth grow and improve itself and I really feel that we're turning things around. Between the Tech Village, Sheraton, Canal Park Lodge and just downtown as a whole, everything is really starting to clean up. Even the West Duluth business area has really cleaned up quite a bit. I find Duluth very unique compared to any other place I visit. I dislike the suburbs of Minneapolis, they seem so boring, so modern and "trendy", they all look the same. Every suburb has the saaammeee style buildings, same stores, etc etc. I like Duluth so much because downtown has "personality". Many old buildings have been remodeled and renovated along with new buildings being built and more planned.

I'll admit, sometimes I wish we had more brands and more big-box stores, but we've got the main stays. Best Buy, Harbor Freight, TJ MAXX, JC Penney, Sears, etc and then some. Plus the planned 194 Miller Trunk Corridor revamp should help clean up the mall area.

As far as neighborhoods and schools go, most of what's been previously mentioned is correct. The "nice" neighborhoods are all in the East side of the city, namely Lakeside, Congdon, Woodland and I would even say most of Duluth Heights.

Lakeside is a nice middle to upper class area with 3 schools within (middle, elementary and Christian elementary) with a nice small business area right in the middle along Superior St (grocery, gas, bank, salon, etc). In my experience, most homes in this area are within the $125,000 - $200,000 range (correct me if I'm wrong). You're also really close to the lake, Chester Creek Park (playground, hiking) and Brighton Beach.
Generally a pretty safe place, and they're in the process of re-paving most of the roads.

Congdon neighbors Lakeside and is some what of an upscale neighborhood. Big, old, nice houses, some mansions. I wouldn't have any idea how much an "average" house in this area would cost, but I'd have to guess in the $500,000 and up range. In Congdon sits Congdon Elementary, a very nice looking building and what is supposed be an excellent school. Also, almost no crime here, quiet safe neighborhoods.

Just above Congdon sits Woodland, a much larger area that encompasses UMD, East High School and Woodland Middle school. Lower Woodland is mostly a nice area containing Mount Royal Shopping Center (grocery, post office, pizza, library and more). Lower Woodland also contains UMD, and therefore quite a bit of surrounding college housing. Upper Woodland has nice houses (but not toooo nice) with a small commercial center (grocery, hardware, restaurant, gas, mechanic). Housing prices ranges heavily in Woodland, any where from $150,000 to probably well over $300 and $400,000 with some of the larger, older homes. I partially grew up in Woodland, with a lot of friends still living there, it's a good community.

Right next to Woodland is the Kenwood area, containing St.Scholastica, Edison Elementary (charter school) and the Kenwood Shopping Center (grocery, fast-food, banks, liquor, etc) Homes in this area are in the $150,000 to $250,000 range. Very close access to all of your basic needs. St.Scholastica has a beautiful campus and recently finished building a new athletic center.

Above Kenwood is Duluth Heights, which is also considered the mall area. The center corridor is Central Entrance (Miller Trunk Highway, 194) with Duluth Heights surrounding it. Homes generally in the $100,000 - $250,000 range. It's here I currently live. Although very close to the mall area, traffic noise and overall peacefulness is pretty good. You've got immediate access to the Miller Hill Mall, Burning Tree Plaza, Stoneridge Shopping Center, Olive Garden, Home Depot, Menards and many other major brands. Duluth Heights contains Central High School, which is kind of the "mixing pot" high school. You get kids from all throughout Duluth there.

Man, I forgot how many neighborhoods there are.

Central Hillside is just above downtown and is considered one of the "bad" neighborhoods, although some developers would like to change that. A set of condos were just built there, we'll see how they fare. Parts of hillside are better than others, and most of the houses are pretty nice. It's a "lock your doors and don't be wandering around at night" type of neighborhood.

West Duluth has a bunch of neighborhoods as well, but I'm no expert on them since I didn't grow up out there. Most notably, you've got Gary New Duluth, Morgan Park and River Side and Lincoln Park. Denfeld Highschool is in West Duluth and is a beautiful school and is where the main Duluth Public Highschool stadium is located, so all the games end up out there. Over all, I feel a lot is improving in West Duluth and there are a few parts that I wouldn't mind living in. Also, most businesses from East Duluth are mirrored in West Duluth, so you'll still get Menards, KMart etc.

As far as far far West Duluth goes, I still wouldn't feel comfortable living in New Gary Duluth. Morgan Park (in my opinion) has really improved and is home to Morgan Park Middle school. A big plus with living in the West is that housing is MUCH cheaper.

As far as stuff to do, Duluth is well known for outdoorsy type activities. Many hiking trails, the lake walk, canoeing, boating, skiing, snowboarding etc. But there's also other stuff. While certainly nothing compared to the cities, the night life is improving. You'll find restaurant bars open late through out Canal Park, and you'll always find people hanging out outside of Pizza Luci. Canal Park is home to the Amazing Grace coffee shops where live bands often play. Otherwise you've got Baja Billys, Grandmas Saloon, Burrito Union and many more "special" bars. Burrito Union is a new favorite, late hours, center bar and real organic burritos, perfect.

Otherwise, you've got two 10 screen theaters (Duluth 10 in Canal Park and Lakes 10 up on the hill). 3 major bowling alleys, there are a couple 21+ clubs and for the youngins there is Stargate Night Club across the bridge in Superior. If you're looking for bars, Duluth has it's fair share, but Superior is known as the "bar town". There are many more of them over there, they're open later and they allow smoking in WI.

It seems like Duluth has a lot of people (for the population) that have a real interest in turning the city around. Lately (within the past 3 years or so), a lot of new bars and restaurants have popped up that are geared to the mid-20, early 30s crowd, who are exactly the people Duluth should be trying to attract right now.

What other people have mentioned about jobs is pretty much inline with what I've experienced. Being in the tech industry certain hasn't helped me much in this town, but things are improving and I've had pretty good luck. Medical is huge here, with St.Lukes and St.Marys (SMDC). St.Marys just built a beautiful new cancer center that really makes downtown look much better.

I agree with others also, in that it seems like a lot of people are coming up here from the cities and other major mid-west cities as kind of a "last resort" city. Duluth has it's fair share of homeless people downtown, and lately we have had a shooting or two and some other nasty happenings. Who knows if it's a sign of things to come, but so far it hasn't affected my view of the city.

People are very friendly, and in my experience, quite liberal and progressive. Your experience may differ. I think a city is whatever you make it, and who you choose to surround yourself with. If you're outgoing, preferably outdoorsy and like a clean friendly city, then you might just like Duluth.

It's strange in that, even though the population is technically decreasing, it feels, to me at least that things are getting better. It seems there's always a construction project going on downtown and stores keep getting added up at the mall. Seems like I'm always reading about an expansion or remodeling. I have a feeling that the population is going to continue decreasing for a few years, but that we're in the beginning of something great.

Oh, and while I35 may be ugly in West Duluth, I think they did a wonderful jobs pushing it through the rest of Duluth. You can barely tell it's there!

Anyways, even though I've lived here my life, I doubt I got all my facts right, so please, if you notice anything or want to add, chime in.

I think it'd be neat of nice to create a master list of everything Duluth has to offer, and all of the information somebody might need to make a decision about moving here.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 AM

143 posts, read 456,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
Hey all, I've been lurking in these forums for awhile, but this thread made me register. Having been born and raised in Duluth and continuing to live here, I think I have a different view point than some others, especially since I'm still in my low 20s.
Great post. I think you summed the city up very well. It's nice to see a young person not dis'n Duluth and saying how they can't wait to get away. LOL...I'll give those people 10, maybe 20 years and they're gonna wanna be coming back home. I've seen the same thing happen for about 40 years already.
When they're young everyone thinks 'someplace else' is going to be so much better. When you get a little older, you realize there isn't any place better.
And you are right, no matter how old you are, where you live is what you make it.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Like I've said in the past - Duluth is a great place if you are heterosexual and in a relationship. If you are neither, it's not much fun. There are no dating options here if you are seeking someone professional, somewhat sophisticated, and open to different ideas (read - not a religious fanatic). The downtown is changing a lot. One major scumbag bar on Superior Street (Red Lion) is closed; if the Kozy Bar is closed, you may see a major change in east downtown that nobody ever thought would happen. The only thing is, the priorities in this city need to change. I work in emergency medicine so I see the same thing every single day - young women with no money and no education with out of state addresses, touting multiple children they can not and will not take any responsibility for. What we have is a city that is tailored towards very low functioning, non educated people with kids. There is no incentive to aspire to be single, educated, and have financial success before making major life-changing decisions. There is always a safety net, a low-income, do-nothing watchdog group, or some church group that will hand out everything from rolls of toilet paper to giving these people free couches so long as they come to their services. So what we end up with is a very pathetic cross section of people who are used to getting everything for nothing, and believe me, these people have struck a gold mine up here. They are never going to leave.

The quality of health care here is great - I will say that without thinking twice. No other city this size has a heart center, a burn center and a cancer center of this caliber. Health promotion is a great thing here and it is taken seriously - except for a decent health club. The options for fitness centers here is horrible and something I would expect to see in a city a third of Duluth's size. The fitness center at SMDC is always jam packed with people from the moment it opens until the moment it closes. Even in the Twin Cities I have never seen health clubs that crowded. You will get your locker raided at the YMCA (even if it's locked) and it just seems like the place is stuck in the 80's. Anytime Fitness isn't bad; in fact it's probably the only place in Duluth that isn't overcrowded or uncomfortable. But we sure could use a Lifetime Fitness here or something like it. The transit system here is great also, I've used it and have never had any problems figuring out the transit map or system. Everything is relatively well connected.

Neighborhoods here are changing rapidly. The west end is becoming much like south Minneapolis - it's definitely not a safe place to be judging from the stories I hear. Much of east Duluth has been wrecked by UMD students who have, over the last 15 years. ruined many single family homes that would have otherwise been great starter homes for others. Now nobody wants to live near these kids, and the rental properties look horrible. Hermantown is still a little too redneck for me, lots of pickup trucks and country music blaring from Fords and Chevys. There may be some new homes there but it does not give a suburban vibe at all (to me anyways). East of UMD is great, in fact probably the best part of Duluth. Once downtown really gets off the ground I will be interested to see what other housing options will be opening up.

I guess I'm not going to have much of a dating life in Duluth. I'm single(but I am heterosexual) and I am religious.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Bob View Post
I'll give those people 10, maybe 20 years and they're gonna wanna be coming back home. I've seen the same thing happen for about 40 years already.
When they're young everyone thinks 'someplace else' is going to be so much better. When you get a little older, you realize there isn't any place better.
At my age, I've actually seen it happen quite a bit. Two of my friends left for big cities and within months they're back.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
The options for fitness centers here is horrible and something I would expect to see in a city a third of Duluth's size. The fitness center at SMDC is always jam packed with people from the moment it opens until the moment it closes. Even in the Twin Cities I have never seen health clubs that crowded. You will get your locker raided at the YMCA (even if it's locked) and it just seems like the place is stuck in the 80's. Anytime Fitness isn't bad; in fact it's probably the only place in Duluth that isn't overcrowded or uncomfortable.
I guess I'm not sure what you consider a "fitness center", but we've got quite a few more than what you've mentioned.

Hermantown
------------
24 Hour Fitness (across from Skyline bowling)
Anytime Fitness (next to Quiznos)
Curves (next to Menards in that strip mall)
Quick Gym (Millwork building)

Downtown
------------
Anytime Fitness (next to Jimmy Johns)
SMDC
YMCA
Quick Gym (Sky Walk)

Central Entrance
------------
Snap Fitness

Lakeside
------------
Snap Fitness

Woodland
------------
Curves

West Duluth
------------
Anytime Fitness (block of N. Central and Bristol)
Personal Best Strength and Conditioning (w. michigan and garfield)

Spirit Valley
------------
Curves

I'm a member of 24 Hour Fitness and it's definitely not crowded, especially at the hours I'm there. In fact I kind of prefer it over the popular Anytime, seems to be cleaner and better kept up (course, they only have one location).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth