U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,340 times

Advertisements

I would hope it would help with is the Friday afternoon northbound traffic jams and the Sunday afternoon southbound traffic jams. Those are getting to be pretty insane.
I was pretty young when Amtrak was operating, but I thought the Duluth to Twin Cities route was actually one of the profitable routes across the country, but that they just cut a lot of routes when we lost service?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 AM

101 posts, read 200,354 times
First off, why does this have to be a profitable venture. As one poster stated, comparing public transit to roads is not apples to apples as most people use roads in our society. But the reason most people use roads is that the funding for public transit was shifted dramatically to roads and highways. There was a time when most used public transit and the car was a luxury item. The car was sold relentlessly as the vehicle of personal freedom all Americans should have and use. The public transit funding issues stem from a perpetual motion spiral of less money=less service=less passengers and back to less money again. Roads will never be neglected (in fact, always pushed) as long as oil companies, car companies, and big businesses have paid politicians in office.

Secondly, who say Duluthians are poor? You can look at the city and say it's rundown, dirty, etc. But I work in fast food by the mall. And I have never seen so many people as I have the last month. Apparently Duluthians have more money than we expected or this influx of business is due to tourism. If it is due to tourism, wouldn't a train from the Cities be a boon to attracting more?

People on these forums put down Duluth time and time again and never explain why they are still here. If so many people despise this city and it's politics and practices, why hasn't the population dwindled dramatically? Why aren't we the size of Superior yet?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM

232 posts, read 666,844 times
Default Basic public transit in and through Duluth

On the map, you'd think this would be an ideal route (through Duluth) and residents could enjoy a number of destinations. Whether its rail or bus, we have a clear shot to Chicago, Winnipeg-Vancouver, Mpls., Kansas City-Denver-Los Angeles, Detroit-Windsor-Toronto...yet our only bus service is Jefferson Lines to Minneapolis. And a route to Ironwood and Eau Claire.

There is nothing going to International Falls (or the Hwy 53 cities along the way). Certainly if that Skyline Shuttle can run 7 round trips to MSP, there could be one from Duluth - International Falls and back. So many people come here for shopping, appointments at Essentia Health, etc., and have no car. I understand the economic condition we are in. I also see how many people from these towns take their chances and try to place ads on Craigslist hoping to find a ride with a complete stranger. The Duluth Airport is getting better, and that's good, but with a $445 round trip ticket to Detroit Metro, a $300 round trip to Chicago, and a $667 round trip to Toronto, I'm assuming these seats and tickets are either corporates or wealthy travellers.

Duluth, with the freeway, is now seen as the 'end of the line'. It's a shame because, again, studying the rails, trails and roads on the map, Duluth is really an ideal connecting point being in the center of most North American destinations. We are about the same distance from Vancouver as we are from NYC, as the crow flies. And I know MSP has a fabulous airport with a multitude of destinations, but those extra five hours getting ready, getting down there and waiting really don't feel too time saving or economical!

Old 03-10-2019, 03:58 PM

27,394 posts, read 26,883,121 times
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/bu...trigues-amtrak

And we're back! Meeting on Monday!

Speed-wise, it's a chicken and egg problem. To run it at higher speeds, it's more trackwork and more passing sidings potentially among other things. Doing so may very well be worthwhile, but in order to get more funding, they'll probably want more proof that there's enough ridership. However, the ridership you get is linked to the speediness of the trip. Since this essentially replaces a car trip decently, this trip will be good for college students in the respective areas returning home or visiting, people living in stations along the route closer to the Twin Cities for commuting there, super commuters who don't mind super commuting (which is actually pretty common for train networks in some other parts of the US since you can actually get a substantial amount of things done or take a decent nap on a train), and tourists/visitors going in either direction. If that's enough to drive ridership, then conventional rail without electrification does go to 110 mph or further to 125 mph pretty effectively.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:03 PM

3,811 posts, read 3,551,871 times
I'd use it if it comes. I've already been to the north shore too many times, so just taking train to Duluth to wander around Canal Park and Superior Street for the night works for me.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 639,249 times
I think cost, not speed is the governing factor. Give me and my family a reason to not drive to the cities and we won’t. If I have to pay $30 a head, forget it. I get to the cities and back with my family for less than $30 gas with a little wear and tear. If I can travel on the train for $30 for my whole family, now we are talking.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM

5,635 posts, read 6,220,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I think cost, not speed is the governing factor. Give me and my family a reason to not drive to the cities and we won’t. If I have to pay $30 a head, forget it. I get to the cities and back with my family for less than $30 gas with a little wear and tear. If I can travel on the train for $30 for my whole family, now we are talking.
Building a railroad and then charging less than $10 for a ticket is not really feasible. A train ticket from St Paul to Madison is $50. (A bus ticket is $20.) This is why cars are preferable to a train: they are both cheaper and more convenient.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:50 PM

27,394 posts, read 26,883,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Why not have a decent speed and an affordable cost? I think having both is better!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:11 AM

1,074 posts, read 639,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Building a railroad and then charging less than $10 for a ticket is not really feasible. A train ticket from St Paul to Madison is $50. (A bus ticket is $20.) This is why cars are preferable to a train: they are both cheaper and more convenient.
You're absolutely correct. It boils down to whether the state deems this rail line as more of a public good in the way that Europe does with transit or as a business opportunity. We will see just how feasible a $35 train ticket is when it opens. The consumers will ultimately decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth