Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 AM

87 posts, read 192,555 times

Advertisements

Aimed at white people? I'm sure black people are racist too. Actually probably more racist than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
The more people talk about racism - the more it will flourish. We have been going on for decades about it - enough is enough - we have made the adjustment and should drop the subject - like we should drop the term African American - which is a racist term.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The more people talk about racism - the more it will flourish. We have been going on for decades about it - enough is enough - we have made the adjustment and should drop the subject - like we should drop the term African American - which is a racist term.
How is African-american racist? Thats like saying Italian-american, Hispanic-american etc is racist. A black person from Africa living in the united states is a "African-american". An Italian person living in america, is yep you guessed it, Italian-American.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
All races have racist's.

The biggest clash in town is between the native Americans and the folks of color.(whatever you wish to be called today)

I will not call them/you African Americans because they/we are Americans first.

You don't call me a Sottish American.

"Hundreds of the city's white residents have complained that the campaign's kick-off images and messages are offensive. The campaign, they say, blames all racism on whites and implies that white people aren't smart enough to recognize racism."

"It's possible to never interact with a person of color here," O'Neill said. "It makes the problem more invisible."

Now you are a raciest if you don't interact?
There is a very small "person of color" population in our area to interact with.

"the Duluth YWCA, which is one of 15 local partners involved in the initiative, said their message has been misinterpreted."
The Star Tribune reports that Mayor Don Ness -- a supporter of the Un-Fair Campaign -

Partners

Un-Fair Campaign » Partners

Our tax money is being used.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
How is African-american racist? Thats like saying Italian-american, Hispanic-american etc is racist. A black person from Africa living in the united states is a "African-american". An Italian person living in america, is yep you guessed it, Italian-American.
"Italian" isn't a race, buck-o. Some will argue that "hispanic" isn't either.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
"Italian" isn't a race, buck-o. Some will argue that "hispanic" isn't either.
"african" isnt a race either then. It is people from africa. Not all black people come from africa so would the correct term be "Black-American"?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
"african" isnt a race either then. It is people from africa. Not all black people come from africa so would the correct term be "Black-American"?
Wow. Hey, maybe race isn't really a valid distinction?

Naw, that couldn't be it...

Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that and I don't get how the term "African-American" is racist.

Also, how are Black people more racist? That is in response to the post above this one.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
I don't see the term "African-American" as racist. The term is probably more often used by the media and celebrities than it is by the average person.

The couple ad's they showed in the story I found condescending. Oh yes, you have to educate us because we are all just too stupid to have ever thought of racism ourselves. "If you're not sure what to say, visit the Unfair-Campaign". That just shows how stupid they think people are right there. These days, I think most people are more concerned with what kind of a person you are than what color you are. I wonder how much money was put into this campaign. Better off to use the money to do something real that will help someone that needs it than ridiculous stuff like this.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,360 times
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. I noticed below there was a post that said it does't work like this in regards to your post. I would disagree.

We're constantly reminding people about our racial differences....how does one come to the conclusion that this will eliminate racial problems ? If I adopted two kids from two different familes and kept referring to them as "my adopted kids".....how are they ever supposed to really become part of our family when we keep reminding them they are adopted ? Drop it already, they are our kids, period !

This problem has taken many generations to get better, but it is getting slowly better. No one really looks twice when you see a multi racial couple anymore....30 years ago that was a strange thing to see.

I've never understood all the hyphenated either, the "Irish-American", "Swedish-American" etc... I guess it's harmless enough since these people aren't after afirmative action or college preferences or whatever....but I still don't understand it. We're Americans....period.

It just baffles me how someone can think constantly pointing our our racial differences in this country will make them go away. It's like most any other problem. When the problem arises, talk it over, discuss our differences, come to a conclusion to do better and move on and stop talking about it.

Time will take care of racial problems. You aren't going to solve them immediately by continually reminding and catagorizing everyone by race.

Let's say you have two young kids in school....a caucasion and a black kid. The caucasion kid hears the black kid refered to as an "african american" by some well meaning person. The white kid goes home and asks his mother, Mom...what am I ? So now you potentially have a young white child who is starting to think along racial lines and about how he's different, rather than how this is just another American kid who happens to be a different color.

I realize this idea wouldn't certainly be a hard an fast rule....but the thought literally just occured to me. Wouldn't it make sense that those who talk about race the most would be the most "racist" ? It would just seem that they would be the ones that don't just see people....but rather different races of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth