Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,272 times

Advertisements

I am looking for opinions on a potential move to Duluth. We (my husband and I) have three kids under the age of 6 and are considering a move to Duluth for a job opportunity. We know Duluth well as we both went to college there (albeit 10 years ago). We are now living in a suburb of the twin cities and are in a fantastic school system (rated in the top in the state). We have read so many negative things about the school systems up there, we are worried we are taking out kids out of a great system with a lot of opportunity and potentially putting them in an environment that is in turmoil. We also are in a Spanish immersion program with our oldest and she LOVES it. Of course we have not found any Spanish programs in Duluth or the area either, but we were hopeful that they at least start language at an early age (a lot of schools down here start in 1st grade). Any and all feedback would be helpful.
Also any information on which schools are recommended up there. We are open to smaller schools to but are wanting a variety of opportunities for the kids. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Is it a fantastic job opportunity? Is your present job one you can stay at and that you like?
To me it sounds like your children will be better off where they are. I don't think you are going to find in Duluth what you already have in the cities.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Duluth, from pictures, seems beautiful. I like being near water.

If you're in Twin Cities, I'd stay there if you have a job that's viable. If your job in Duluth doesn't take or is of limited promotional potential, what else would you find there?

U Minn. Duluth grads? What a scenic place to go to school.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM

106 posts, read 222,875 times
Trust me, it's only scenic in a very small percentage of the city. The rest is dull, dreary, and dirty. There aren't nearly the opportunities here compared to the cities. Only come here if, as geebabe says, you have a fantastic job opportunity that you cannot get where you are.

Since you asked about the school system, I will tell you flat out, it is in at least as much turmoil as you have heard, if not more. And you have to be careful what schools you choose if you want to give your kids a quality education. I have one in high school and he's adamant that he wants to stay put through graduation, but I would be willing to drive him across town for a better education if I had my say.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM

164 posts, read 334,564 times
Hi,
just wanted to respond to your language question as I graduated from high school about 4 years ago. Languages were not an option to learn in school until 8th grade, when I believe Spanish was an elective. In high school, I took German for my first two years, with the last year only having half-period class time, but after that French and German were cut from our school leaving only Spanish or 1 semester (maybe year?) of Ojibwe. However, with the "turmoil" lots of things have probably changed and will continue to do so, but it is unlikely these changes will be expanded programs [keeping and hiring teachers is far from a priority for the district]. If you are looking for languages through the school district you'll probably have to wait a while until they are in a high enough grade for classes. I am completely unfamiliar with the private/other schools. In the end though, I'm getting married this spring and am looking forward to leaving and never returning except maybe to visit my parents; both my brothers already left. I do not want to raise my family here.

Last edited by bcgr; 01-29-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
It seems odd to tell a person who went to college in Duluth and stated they know the city well (although admittedly not the public school system) that it's "only scenic in a very small percentage of the city". If they were there for college, they had plenty of time to form their own opinion on that. Two observations from my point of view: 1. Most of Duluth is anything BUT "dull, dreary, and dirty". At the risk of offending someone, Detroit might be. Large sections of any older, large industrial city will be. But Duluth hardly fit that description. 2. Duluth is getting better, slowly but surely.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
It seems odd to tell a person who went to college in Duluth and stated they know the city well (although admittedly not the public school system) that it's "only scenic in a very small percentage of the city". If they were there for college, they had plenty of time to form their own opinion on that. Two observations from my point of view: 1. Most of Duluth is anything BUT "dull, dreary, and dirty". At the risk of offending someone, Detroit might be. Large sections of any older, large industrial city will be. But Duluth hardly fit that description. 2. Duluth is getting better, slowly but surely.
I was responding to the person who said it looks beautiful in pictures. It's all relative. Duluth might be gorgeous compared to Detroit. But there are many cities that have done much more to beautify their city, maintain their historical buildings, and keep the city looking generally clean. It's one of those opinion things. You think it's beautiful, I do not (for the most part)

Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
Generally when I think of the beauty of Duluth, I'm thinking of hills, cliffs, rivers and the lake.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
Generally when I think of the beauty of Duluth, I'm thinking of hills, cliffs, rivers and the lake.
Absolutely. I'm not saying there's no beauty here - there definitely is. I'm into photography, so I spend a lot of time out and about looking for the beauty, and I do find it. But for me, (for *me* - my own personal opinion!) there is not quite enough of that here to make up for the rest of what you have to live with....

Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair0023 View Post
Absolutely. I'm not saying there's no beauty here - there definitely is. I'm into photography, so I spend a lot of time out and about looking for the beauty, and I do find it. But for me, (for *me* - my own personal opinion!) there is not quite enough of that here to make up for the rest of what you have to live with....
I agree wholeheartedly with all your posts here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth