Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM

192 posts, read 450,814 times

Advertisements

I heard the Bob Dylan song "Desolation Row" the other day and remembered that the first verse is about Duluth, and sadly, not in a good way.

Last edited by glendog; 03-19-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
I heard the Bob Dylan song "Desolation Row" the other day and remembered that the first verse is about Duluth, and sadly, not in a good way.
nobody has to think too much about desolation road

Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM

Anybody else been to Desolation Sound?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Baby boy Dylan doesn't like Duluth.
Every time he sayes Duluth he flubs it. .....Dooolute....

the verse goes
"They’re selling postcards of the hanging
They’re painting the passports brown
The beauty parlor is filled with sailors
The circus is in town.

Yet, we court him and name streets after him just because he was born in town, lived on the "range" and sang in town one time long, long ago.

It's time for Duluth to move on and rename the street after someone who matters.

Last edited by snofarmer; 03-22-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 AM

I like the way Bobby says Duluth. He played there not that long ago. I saw a clip on youtube where he cracked a pretty funny joke and talked about being born up there on the hill and everyone cheered. You know everybody pronounces things differently. Some people even make fun of how Minnesotans speak!
The French pronunciation is like "Doo Loot", for the the man himself Monsieur Daniel Greysolon, Le Sieur du Luth.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Ok my bad,
I remember him saying it differentially for some reason.

When he does spit it out after stammering he does say it the same way the rest of us do

he says Duluth at 8sec in
.Bob Dylan 1998 Grammy Speech - YouTube

519 N. 3rd Avenue East, Duluth

2425 Seventh Avenue East, Hibbing

Bob Dylan was born Robert Zimmerman on May 24, 1941 in Duluth, and spent his first six years in that port city at the end of Lake Superior. The Zimmermans lived on the top floor of the house pictured above, which was auctioned off on eBay in the Summer of 2001 for $94,600. When Dylan was in Kindergarten, his family moved to his mother's hometown of Hibbing, a mining town about 75 miles north of Duluth in the Mesabi iron ore range. After living briefly with relatives, they settled into a home on the corner of Seventh Avenue and 25th Street, where Dylan spent the remainder of his youth and high school years.

his last concert since was in, oct 22, 1998 and it ws only the 2nd time he played in Duluth.
I couldn't find them but I know he has said a few snide comments about Duluth before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
I like the way Bobby says Duluth. He played there not that long ago. I saw a clip on youtube where he cracked a pretty funny joke and talked about being born up there on the hill and everyone cheered. You know everybody pronounces things differently. Some people even make fun of how Minnesotans speak!
The French pronunciation is like "Doo Loot", for the the man himself Monsieur Daniel Greysolon, Le Sieur du Luth.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Yeah okay. I couldn't find the clip where he was in Canal Park telling a joke on stage. It wasn't directed at Duluth it was just a silly cornball joke/play on words, people laughed. I've also heard Bob say really nice things about Duluth and Minnesota in general. The man like life itself is a walking contradiction. He still owns a house here, on the Crow River in Hennepin County so he must still like it in some ways. He comes back for holidays and Christmas it is said. Home is home I guess. Nothing anything any of us can do about it.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM

I found few comments on Bob from some other locals.

"Why do we worship this guy, Hes alright but he hates it here. He does not even like the fact the we have a route through this town named after him."
Jim

It seams like some others remember "Bob" differentially.
Why did they Boo him off the stage in Hibbing?
Something he said?

"The Iron Range has changed since the days when Dylan was “booed” off stage and literally unplugged. The times have changed and so have the people of the Iron Range. In fact, Dylan fans can upload their own videos and photos to help convince Bob why he should come home."
5Q :: Iron Rangers want Bob Dylan to

Everyone knows he lives across the river,” said Mark Goss, a mechanic who hangs out at the watering hole near the 100-acre farm Dylan and his family own on the Crow River in northwestern Hennepin County. “People don’t gush or [go] 'Oh! Ah!’ It’s just one of those things. Being from Minnesota, he can’t be famous if he’s from here.” But how truly Minnesotan is he? It’s long been a debate, with many claiming the Duluth-born, Hibbing-bred Dylan as their own. Others say he kissed off the state 45 years ago after dropping out of the University of Minnesota.
Dylan: Still one of us? | StarTribune.com

"In fact, the playful mythmaker who told early interviewers he was an orphan from New Mexico"

a bit aloof, I guess some Minnesotan did get in there.
"My mother-in-law saw him at a game once, years ago,” said one of his neighbors, Belinda Mahler. “He just kept to himself. That’s how he’s always been around here, very reclusive.”"

"When he was young, however, Dylan eschewed his Gopher background. “If anything, obscuring his past because he thought Minnesota wasn’t cool enough —"

"In his hometown, a few folks thought Dylan got too big for his boots. When he attended his 10th high school reunion in 1969, he was supposedly insulted by some classmates after they had a few drinks. Thereafter, the hero pretty much didn’t go home again."

DYLAN: I was born in, grew up in a place so foreign that you had to be there to picture it.
interviewer : Are you talking about Hibbing, Minnesota?
DYLAN: It was all in upper Minnesota.

DYLAN: Well, in the winter, everything was still, nothing moved. Eight months of that. You can put it together. You can have some amazing hallucinogenic experiences doing nothing but looking out your window.

I just don't see all the gushing over him, as others have done a lot more for the state. but I can see why he snubbed us too.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 PM

Yeah I've read some of those myself. I don't see all the gushing over him or anybody really. Something I think Bob himself would agree with. Get your own life I think he's actually said when asked about people gushing over him. That said the man has the Holy Spirit all around him anybody can see that. (gush gush) I wouldn't judge him (or anyone) exclusively by what he did or said as a kid at age 21. In later interviews such as the one he did with Playboy in the 70's he spoke quite openly and fondly of Minnesota. There are others as well. No one can deny there wasn't much for him in Duluth or the Iron Range as an artist/creative person at that time. Save for staring out the window at all that snow and stillness and hallucinating. Things have changed a lot since then but in some ways are the same. Being from the west coast I can tell you, Midwesterners in general are absolutely known for being legendarily self-conscious of where they are from. I never quite understood this but it is true, especially among a lot of young people. They are embarrassed of their small midwestern towns and upbringing. They always think it's cooler somewhere else and that has totally changed in my opinion. Minneapolis is just as cool or cooler than say Portland or Seattle in terms of hipness, flourishing small businesses, cosmopolitan nature, opportunities, arts, music etc.. Eventually most of these kids grow up (like my wife) and realize that's wrong and that being born here in a small town is actually really cool and a huge part of what made them who they are, even if they don't want it anymore or don't move back. I mean think of all the awesome creative people from the midwest?! From Frank Lloyd Wright, to Bob Dylan, whether people like them or not they are iconoclasts and legends.

Last edited by glendog; 03-22-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Who is the SECOND most famous person from Duluth? I know people like Jessica Biel and Jessica Lange come from the region, but actually FROM Duluth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth