Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 18,454 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm considering a job offer that requires relocation to Duluth, and I was hoping someone here could help me get a sense of what it's like socially. I'm mid-twenties, single, no kids, and gay, so I'm a little worried that I'll be stranded between people who are more settled (families with kids) and college students. Is that a legitimate concern? What's the gay population like in Duluth, and how accepting is the area? Also, does anyone know if there are any rugby teams in the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 AM

7,646 posts, read 18,041,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropUnicorn View Post
Hi, I'm considering a job offer that requires relocation to Duluth, and I was hoping someone here could help me get a sense of what it's like socially. I'm mid-twenties, single, no kids, and gay, so I'm a little worried that I'll be stranded between people who are more settled (families with kids) and college students. Is that a legitimate concern? What's the gay population like in Duluth, and how accepting is the area? Also, does anyone know if there are any rugby teams in the area?

Thanks!
That's what a lot of young people locally complain about.

I do not know of any rugby teams in Duluth.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
Duluth Rugby Football Club - Rugby Clubs | iSport.com

Duluth Mens Rugby Football Club - Home

Duluth, MN Rugby Teams, League, Club, Team, Games, Player, Training, Rules - Sportsvite.com

Duluth Women's Rugby Club | Facebook

I don't know much about the "gay" sean in town, but our kids do have a few gay friends.

Duluth is kind of neutral on the gay subject, if your not flamboyant

Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 PM

38 posts, read 71,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
That's what a lot of young people locally complain about.

I do not know of any rugby teams in Duluth.
There's some people that play rugby out on Park Point.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM

232 posts, read 732,641 times
I'm just going to tell you the honest truth, because I lived there and was ready to kill myself. I am gay as well, and although Duluth is in Minnesota and thus a somewhat progressive place, you won't find any gay people. Everyone over the past ten years has quietly gone back into the closet and instead are hiding in online chat rooms, iPhone apps, or they're on drugs, drunk, crazy, contemplating sex changes...it was the most frustrating, infuriating time of my life. To be young, in the best shape of my life, working out all the time...and having maybe 3-5 other gay people within a 20 year age radius of myself, all of whom smoked and two who were on disability for some unseen mental problem.

Duluth is catered towards people 18-80 with spouses and kids. if you are a single adult with no kids, you will absolutely hate it. I kept telling myself that with a combined population of 160,000 or so in the Duluth-Superior region, there had to be somebody but after so many years I basically went to work, went to work out, and hid at home. I avoided people, and gave up on finding friends after a while - I was too angry hearing about their significant others and I got sick of hearing about their little kids and all these things that I'd never get to experience. It turned me into a very negative angry person. And I think part of that is when you are okay with being gay, you have all the tools and life experience but the rest of the gay community locally does not, or is very troubled and you end up resenting them because 'look at what I get to pick from'. I realize straight people complain of this also, but straight people have 90-95% of the population to choose from!!

On the other hand, what's really changed lately is that...the larger progressive gay metro areas are no longer affordable for a lot of gay men, since most traditional 'gay parts of the city' are also the least affordable. So a lot of guys are having to return to small towns, or never leave their hometown at all like they would have a generation ago. And yea, it is very lonely. I know in Duluth they've tried everything from discussion groups to sports leagues to you name it to get gay men together, but the problem is the community is SO small that the same 12-20 guys get tired of looking at each other because frankly nobody's interested in each other, and everyone's waiting for someone better to come along who never does. Eventually you either accept that you're going to be alone there or you just say 'screw it' and leave.

Last edited by Duluth07; 04-01-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM

414 posts, read 1,016,151 times
Not sure about rugby, but it looks like you've gotten a response about that.

As far as the social scene goes, there's a distinct gap between the college crowd and the married couples. If you like hanging out with drunk undergrads, you'll be ok. Otherwise, the other alternative is the married couples, who tend to keep to themselves or other married couples. For ease of socialization in places I've lived, Duluth comes in second-to-last, only being beaten out by rural Alabama.

I can't speak to the gay scene. I only know of a couple openly gay folks, but they don't indicate one way or another how they feel about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth