Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times

Advertisements

Considering a possible move up there from SW Mn area so cold isnt the issue its costs and rentals and safety for single retired woman.. its whats there and is it safe .. I have googled the area and frankly there isnt a lot out there about it Does anyone know about that area and what is to be avoided there?

=============================================
My daughter and her family would likely follow me up in a short time so waht about for kids and teens .. Jobs for a young male teenager? schools?

Last edited by Faworki1947; 09-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: and other questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Gilbert is essentially a bedroom community in the "Quad Cities" of the Iron Range area of MN. Your work and social life will probably include businesses, employers, organizations and churches in the wider Virginia/Mt. Iron/Eveleth area.

Gilbert does not have a grocery store, so you'll shop in Virginia. It has 1 gas station. I can't think of any store in Gilbert at all - I think there may be some antique stores. Oh - there is a very good butcher! Most people drive to the edge of Virginia where the big box stores are (Target/Kmart/SuperOne). There is a good food co-op in Virginia. The food co-op is the best place to meet people who are not from long time Iron Range families.

Gilbert has 1 Catholic church and 1 Methodist church. If you want to go to another church you will probably find one in one of the nearby communities. If you don't go to church no one will really care, but that eliminates one of the few ways to meet people in the area.

The only real employer in Gilbert is a call center for what used to be Delta Dental - can't remember the name of it now. There's very little work for unskilled workers in town or in the Quad Cities as a whole. Many general laborers work seasonally and are unemployed in the winters. On the other hand, there are some good community colleges in the area where your family members can train for work in the mines, which pays really well. Mining is boom/bust, which means there are frequent lay offs.

Gilbert does not have much wealth. It has many, many bars. In fact the bar culture is very very much a part of social life on the Iron Range. Alcoholism and meth addiction are a problem. However, I would say the town is safe because it is a small town and neighbors are very aware of what is happening in their neighborhoods.

Most housing in Gilbert and on the Range in general is super cheap compared to other areas of Minnesota, but much of it is in very poor condition. On the other hand, there are million dollar homes in the country and on the lakes. You'll find it pretty easy to buy an affordable home, but much less easy to rent something decent.

The Eveleth/Gilbert school system is considered fine. The elementary school is in Gilbert, the junior/senior high is in Eveleth. The school system in Virginia is considered much better, and there is school choice in the area, so if you want to send your teen into Virginia to school you can do so. There is also a magnet high school in Midway, which is always on the edge of losing it's accreditation - I wouldn't recommend it. The library in Gilbert is small but nice.

If you're someone who enjoys going to bars, you'll fit right in to the Gilbert social scene. If your grandson enjoys 4-wheeling, he'll fit right in. If your family doesn't enjoy those activities, well . . . maybe you'll find some friends in the other communities. All of the long-time residents of the Iron Range are very insular and not particularly welcoming to newcomers - the only way to get around that is via work friends or church or other organizations that don't only cater to long time families.

Why are you coming to Gilbert? If you have relatives, that's how you'll make friends. If you don't have relatives then it will take some effort on the part of you and your family members to fit in.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 10-02-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 12:32 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
THANKS thats some great info I appericate it .. I sent you a pm

Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM

67 posts, read 80,612 times
Used to live in Virginia and Eveleth. The only thing I remember Gilbert was known for was having a run-down strip joint where the area college kids, miners, and highway travelers would frequent. There's not much else to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
View detailed profiles of: