Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,953 times

Advertisements

Hi good people of Duluth,

We are moving to Duluth very likely this summer from Minneapolis (me, my husband, and 6 year old son...and dog and cat). We know we will rent first, then buy, and I'm quite interested to get some information on the lake-effect.

I've heard that there is a boundary line, of sorts, where once you are past a certain point on the hill, the lake-effect is not as drastic. A magical line where if you are one side, it's sunny and nice, and if you are on the other side of said line, it is cold, foggy, and icky. When is the lake effect good, vs bad? Is living closer to the lake with a great view worth it, or do people tend to move up over the hill once the novelty of the view wears off because they don't like the lake effect?

I'm oversimplifying, of course, but I cannot find any information on where this happens on the hillside! I know there's not a consistent hill elevation line or anything, but even a general sense would be helpful.

I love the old houses on the hillsides and the charm of those neighborhoods (we have AWD) so hills are no issue.

Thanks so much for any feedback on there where, what, and how of the lake effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 07:02 PM

74 posts, read 130,168 times
Lake Effect refers to the moderating effect Lake Superior has on a certain location's microclimate. It's a function of both distance from and elevation above Lake Superior. Once you have lived there for a few years (I did for 25+) you kind of find yourself mentally calculating how to "really" read the daily forecast, taking the lake's effect into consideration.

In spring and early summer (say late March to early July) the Lake is much much cooler than the land, and a persistent northeast breeze will keep almost all of Superior, most of West Duluth out to about Morgan Park, and most of Downtown and eastern Duluth below Skyline Parkway ten to sometimes 20 degrees cooler than the mall area and the Woodland neighborhoods. The cool air is heavier than warmer air, and so it doesn't move until it's budged. The dividing line can be quite sharp or rather gradual, due to sun, winds, etc. Sudden changes in the direction of the wind can sharply change this; a cool front with a NW wind will often cause the temps by the lake to actually rise quickly. I find this aspect of the lake effect refreshing, but often you will leave windows open enjoying a pleasant 70 degrees and come home from the store to a damp 45 degrees an hour later. Thus the forecast, "cooler by the lake at times".

In winter (beginning around Thanksgiving and running well into January), the relative warmth of the water will keep those same locations 5 to 10 degrees warmer than the airport, at least until the lake freezes over close to shore (or completely, which has happened.) A forecast of minus 20 might yield a balmy five below on London Road. That cold wind when it blows from the east over the warmer waters and onto land can produce an awful lot of lake-effect snow if things line up right!

As to your other concern:: the view is ALWAYS worth it!

Last edited by Patz0709; 01-11-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 AM

Thank you for the detailed response, it is both helpful and interesting!

Especially appreciate the information on the relative locations and neighborhoods that are effected the most. And I had a feeling that the view is worth everything.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
I think below a certain point it doesn't matter anymore how cold it is, you're not going to go outside anyway

Old 01-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Ha! That is so true about the cold, especially this particular winter in our lovely MN. This is the type of winter that earns us our reputation, righto. The winters in Duluth do not concern me at all. From what I can tell, they maybe last a couple weeks longer than down here in the metro, but the temps don't seem to be any worse. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And, I'm loving the price of season tickets at Spirit Mountain!

So, yes, to a point, cold is cold when it comes to winter. I guess I'm really looking for local intel on the warm summer months with the lake effect and locations. When it comes to the time when we buy our house in the Duluth area (and we are open to a 20 mile radius or so), I'd like to know if there are areas to avoid (or on the positive side, areas to pursue). Torn between the scenery/charm and beautiful old houses I love in Duluth proper, and the possibility that buying newer in Hermantown without a view may mean significantly better weather. I get that it may be a mute point.

Any other opinions out there on lake-effect?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM

67 posts, read 80,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esalbrecht View Post
I've heard that there is a boundary line, of sorts, where once you are past a certain point on the hill, the lake-effect is not as drastic. A magical line where if you are one side, it's sunny and nice, and if you are on the other side of said line, it is cold, foggy, and icky. When is the lake effect good, vs bad?
Normally you just have to venture beyond the lake a couple miles, but the lake-effect can extend down to almost Moose Lake (40 miles away?) on some rare days.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM

17 posts, read 37,498 times
All I can say is that renting will be a shocker. There's not a lot of good quality rentals in good areas. As for the lake effect, I live up by the mall and yes, there's a difference but not enough to ever sway my decision on where to live.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinduluth View Post
All I can say is that renting will be a shocker. There's not a lot of good quality rentals in good areas.
It's not that we don't have high quality rentals in good neighborhoods, it's that they are all very expensive when compared to the average wage. For something clean and well kept in the nice, family oriented neighborhood, you'll be looking at $1000+ per month.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM

Thanks again for the perspectives. We have been perusing (sp?) the craigslist rental info, and have accepted the fact that rentals in the affordable range are not that easy to come by. Then there is the very nicely kept affordable rental tossed in seemingly at random, with another listed right next to it that looks like poo. We are renting first in an attempt to be smart about finding the right location to buy by experiencing living in Duluth for a while, first.

My primary line of inquiry is the lake effect and where it diminishes, and thanks for the information you have all supplied. I was hoping there would be a clear boundary to make things super simple, but, surprisingly, that is not the case (that's sarcasm). But I do feel I have a better sense.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,116 times
In my experiences the past 5 years or so, the lake effect snow, and snow in general, is very weird in Duluth. You would think get away from the lake to make it better, but that's not the case. Most of the time, when we get a blizzard or any sort, down near the lake (at least around central hillside and stretching east toward UMD etc.) there is always less snow than once you get up on top of the hill in the Hermantown area, or even up towards cloquet, etc. Being near the lake actually means less snow totals. It also means, every once and a while in the summer, you think its a foggy dreary day, only to drive 5 min up the hill to find sunshine and 80 degree weather. Very very weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth