Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times

Advertisements

So how does everyone feel about winning Outside Magazine's "Best Town Ever" competition? I'll admit, Outside is more trendy and hip than serious outdoor magazine. But I can't imagine this being anything but a positive for Duluth. Did you feel the article painted a reasonably accurate picture? Or was it overly optimistic fluff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
So how does everyone feel about winning Outside Magazine's "Best Town Ever" competition? I'll admit, Outside is more trendy and hip than serious outdoor magazine. But I can't imagine this being anything but a positive for Duluth. Did you feel the article painted a reasonably accurate picture? Or was it overly optimistic fluff?
I like the magazine for the most part. A worthy selection for otherwise wasted flyer miles.

I was just in Duluth--hadn't been there in years (10 or 15) since I've been living in other parts of the world. I think Duluth is a wonderful place for outdoor recreation. Miles of bike and hike trails, lovely views of the hills and Superior, nice beaches, great food, etc. etc. Granted, this was in the summer... the winter takes a hardy soul to flourish up there!

I do find it annoying that they pitch that series in terms of "where to move to now!!!" which is just vapid IMO. As if we could all just pick up and move across the country to the latest hot town, or would want to for that matter. But I almost feel like they're teasing themselves with that approach at this point. All in all, worthy accolades for a great outdoors town.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:17 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
The article and title piqued our interest. We saw and grabbed the magazine at our local barber who let us take it.

Duluth was never on our radar and it looks like a real cool town (cold too! lol). We would love to check it out as we sometimes ponder where, if we were to ever move, would be places that we would perhaps consider that might be a fit for us.

I agree with the above poster that the actual prospects of just picking up and moving across the country to the happening town of the moment for most folks is unrealistic to say the least. Maybe 20 years ago if we were in our late 20s-30s it would be a possibility, but we are quite settled in an ideal neighborhood in a fine, livable city now so it doesn't make that much sense- but you never know.

We haven't even checked out Minneapolis ever in our travels yet so it would be a stretch probably to make that extra hour+(?) drive out of there to see Duluth but that very well may be our loss. I would like to know more about it and may be lurking here once in a while to perhaps catch its vibe.

Still, it looks like an ideal place to live in some respects so I am happy for its residents to get some recognition and I'm confident that whatever influx of newcomers to the city that this may bring it will not likely not overwhelm it in any way.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The article and title piqued our interest. We saw and grabbed the magazine at our local barber who let us take it.

Duluth was never on our radar and it looks like a real cool town (cold too! lol). We would love to check it out as we sometimes ponder where, if we were to ever move, would be places that we would perhaps consider that might be a fit for us.

I agree with the above poster that the actual prospects of just picking up and moving across the country to the happening town of the moment for most folks is unrealistic to say the least. Maybe 20 years ago if we were in our late 20s-30s it would be a possibility, but we are quite settled in an ideal neighborhood in a fine, livable city now so it doesn't make that much sense- but you never know.

We haven't even checked out Minneapolis ever in our travels yet so it would be a stretch probably to make that extra hour+(?) drive out of there to see Duluth but that very well may be our loss. I would like to know more about it and may be lurking here once in a while to perhaps catch its vibe.

Still, it looks like an ideal place to live in some respects so I am happy for its residents to get some recognition and I'm confident that whatever influx of newcomers to the city that this may bring it will not likely not overwhelm it in any way.
I'd recommend a summer trip to MPLS and Duluth, especially if you're into cycling. Minneapolis has gotten a lot of accolades for its biking infrastructure (Cycling magazine named it the #1 city, ahead of Portland, some years back) and Duluth is exploding with projects (esp. MTB). San Diego is almost always nice, but maybe during the "June Gloom" it would be a good escape.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM

I haven't been to Duluth since 2006 when I was looking into a business venture there (sadly it didn't pan out). I really fell in love with the place! It seemed as though things were picking up for Duluth then and I would like to think that it is even better now. Any perspective from long term residents and recent transplants?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM

Crickets? I'll just assume that the good people of Duluth are too busy enjoying all that their fine city has to offer and can't be wasting time on the city-data forum.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Crickets? I'll just assume that the good people of Duluth are too busy enjoying all that their fine city has to offer and can't be wasting time on the city-data forum.
Remember that there's only about 85K people in Duluth; how many of them use CD AND have read the Outside article? Very few, apparently. This board is pretty inactive.

Maybe in the winter when people are inside more this thread will proliferate like Gremlins?!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
I think these types of articles are more about tourism than getting people to move to town.

Duluth (and the Twin Cities) certainly has moved up on my list of vacation spots because of the positive press over the last five years. I would love to visit, but move? no way.

The two most mobile groups today are 1) People in their 20s. just starting out and looking for a place to start a career. The job situation in Duluth will keep many of them away. 2) Retirees. While the recreational options look great, the weather sucks 9 months of the year.

T. Damon: It is a know fact that no one has ever moved from San Diego to Duluth.
From the best climate in the US to the worst? No way!

Old 08-28-2014, 03:21 PM

"From the best climate in the US to the worst? No way!"

While I am sure the climate in San Diego is lovely to many, it can never be the best in my book. I'm one of those odd old codgers that firmly believes an area's climate cannot be considered ideal unless there is snow on the ground for substantial portions of the winter (or more)! Perhaps growing up in Montana and Alaska has something to do with it. I truly believe I'd actually love Duluth year round.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 AM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
I'm one of those odd old codgers that firmly believes an area's climate cannot be considered ideal unless there is snow on the ground for substantial portions of the winter (or more)!
+1. I need seasons and I love snow.

Of course, not having to live elbow-to-elbow with everyone else who happens to be seeking the "nicer" climate is a huge plus, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth