Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,993 times

Advertisements

Can anyone here tell me more about the schools in Duluth, like which are the best schools... student to teacher ratio, where are the safer neighborhoods...? I've heard some nice things about Hermantown but not sure if it's affordable for a single mom with one income?

How about housing/rentals? Firehouse Flats, Windwood Townhomes, Morgan Park Townhomes, Westgate Townhomes, West Hillside Communities (or is it Townview Villas)? Do all the rentals in Duluth only have laundry facitilies or are there some with washer/dryer or washer/dryer hookups in each unit?

What is your usual go-to grocery store? Does Duluth have a Cub Foods? Costco? How many Targets are in the area? Any great thrift stores/consignment stores worth checking out? Antique stores?

Does Duluth have a plasma donation center? If so, is it a well-managed place?

How about special needs services, not only limited to schools/education but like psychologists, psychiatrists, behavioral therapists, autism centers/services, etc?

Single mom meet-ups, support groups, resources, etc?

Are the roads really that bad in the winters, especially on the hills?

Thanks everyone!! It's been over 15 years since I've been to Duluth. I plan on a visit in the spring or summer but would like to learn more about Duluth from the locals! Feel free to throw in any additional info if you'd like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 05:20 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryautumn View Post
Can anyone here tell me more about the schools in Duluth, like which are the best schools... student to teacher ratio, where are the safer neighborhoods...? I've heard some nice things about Hermantown but not sure if it's affordable for a single mom with one income?

How about housing/rentals? Firehouse Flats, Windwood Townhomes, Morgan Park Townhomes, Westgate Townhomes, West Hillside Communities (or is it Townview Villas)? Do all the rentals in Duluth only have laundry facitilies or are there some with washer/dryer or washer/dryer hookups in each unit?

What is your usual go-to grocery store? Does Duluth have a Cub Foods? Costco? How many Targets are in the area? Any great thrift stores/consignment stores worth checking out? Antique stores?

Does Duluth have a plasma donation center? If so, is it a well-managed place?

How about special needs services, not only limited to schools/education but like psychologists, psychiatrists, behavioral therapists, autism centers/services, etc?

Single mom meet-ups, support groups, resources, etc?

Are the roads really that bad in the winters, especially on the hills?

Thanks everyone!! It's been over 15 years since I've been to Duluth. I plan on a visit in the spring or summer but would like to learn more about Duluth from the locals! Feel free to throw in any additional info if you'd like!
You should check out the Minnesota Department of Education website for info on the schools too. I know Hermantown is probably "overflowing" as there are so many kids there. I do believe there is also a website showing crime incidents for Duluth. I believe it's been posted here before.

Duluth has a Cub Foods. No Costco yet. There's a Target in Duluth and one in Superior. There is Goodwill in Hermantown and one in Duluth. There is a Salvation Army Thrift Shop. I'm sure there are others and I know there are antique stores, some in the Canal Park area.

Check out the Human Development Center. I'm sure there are services at the hospitals/clinics too.

The hills in Duluth aren't so bad once you are used to them and know how to drive on them. I know they used to do a great job plowing in Duluth, but since I don't live there anymore, I don't know if that has changed or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth