Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 AM

72 posts, read 177,687 times

Advertisements

That ramp was to make up for the parking lost by the new road construction, but do they really need a ramp? I can't see it getting used by just a few times a year during christmas season -- other than that their lot is never half full. On a side note it looks like target got rid of the front entrance/exit to their store after the reconstruction. That was my favorite was to enter/exit the store and i'm sad it got reduced to just the two ways now. But the landscaping is nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM

781 posts, read 2,628,773 times
That's what I was thinking. Maybe they're hoping to expand the store out into their current parking lot in the future? I know they've always been wanting more room for the store itself. If their current lot was cut down significantly, then a ramp would make sense.

I'm happy with the changes to Target, MNDot is trying change the way traffic fundamentally flows in the Miller Hill area; focusing more on access roads.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,738 times
Well the ramp will have some of the closest parking to the store. And its not like its going to be a huge ramp. From what I have heard it might only be one level. I do not think Kohls will be expanding again being they just did in the early 2000's and right now their new store sizes are only getting smaller than our current store size.

I love what the new remodel brought to Target. The landscaping is gorgeous, the nicest I have seen at a Target store. A friend of mine's company actually did all of the landscaping for Target. I love the interior now, it is set up so much better and I can find every grocery item I need, well close to every item. Still wish we would have gotten a new modern entrance and Starbucks, but I will be thankful for what we got.

MNDOT did get rid of the front entrance due to the proximity to the Mall Drive/ Maple Grove intersection. When Maple Grove Road is widened it will run far closer to the Target parking lot, which would mean it would be closer to the previous front exit/entrance. It is safer to have two side entrances/exits now, instead of having three entrance/ exits. But it was convenient when it was open.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:13 AM

This is not really store related, but up by Hom Furniture trees were cut down to continue Mall Drive straight so that it can connect to the new road put in next to Sam's Club. Hermantown is the one connecting Mall Drive to the road next to Sam's Club. Sure will make traveling easier.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 AM

I have probably shown this picture before, but wouldnt it be nice it Applebee's left the mall and built a freestanding location like this one? I feel like they could even build this on Ground Round site being it all is for sale. I feel like they almost would do better being they still would be close to the mall, but people wouldnt have to worry about finding parking.

Here is the picture, it wouldnt load for some reason.

http://www.interbrand.com/case_study...48&langid=1000

Old 07-30-2009, 12:39 AM

47 posts, read 150,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
It would be amazing indeed if Applebees left the mall and built their own on that property. It would almost give them better visibility too form the Miller Trunk, and it being on that extremely busy intersection. It would also be great if some of the stores would spruce up their buildings and landscaping like Target did to make the mall area feel less dumpy in a way, and to coordinate with all the new road construction going on. That area could really feel a lot nicer and pleasing to the eye. Doing something like that I think could even invite more business to the area and enforce more of a building standard for new developments.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:11 AM

432 posts, read 1,120,667 times
That looks like the Applebees they just built in front of Northtown Mall in Blaine last year. Yes, I wish Ground Round would close and something new go on that site, but the building has been for sale for a long time and nothing has changed there. I also e-mailed Culver's last week and they said that they want to open by years end, has construction started yet?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
Yes, I wish Ground Round would close and something new go on that site, but the building has been for sale for a long time and nothing has changed there. I also e-mailed Culver's last week and they said that they want to open by years end, has construction started yet?
I'd be fine with Ground Round staying if they brought their building up to spec with newer Ground Rounds (like the one in Bemidji). Also, I don't believe anything has happened with Culver's lately, there was an excavator on the site, but that disappeared awhile ago.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Well Ground Round has been for sale for a while, but now their business keeps dropping... which in the end could cause them to just close on their own. But being the frontage road is being rebuilt in front of their site AND being the site has land behind Verizon, I think it would be a great fit for Applebees. Plus Verizon is up for sale. So who knows! Applebees could get that entire corner! It would be such a great fit for them because they would still get the mall shoppers being it would be in their parking lot basically but then they also would get those people who dont want to deal with mall traffic and mall shoppers because Applebees would be in its own building. I think its a win win situation for them. Applebees really should move into a freestanding building, especially if it looks like that one!

Culvers plans to open in Late October/ November is what I am hearing. The site is all surveyed and staked out. So construction can move pretty quick when it starts.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 PM

Another bid was put up for Culvers in Duluth. It says that the bid closing will be in the middle of August with construction starting in September 2009. There also was a bid for the Renaissance Hotel at Mall of America!!! Not that that has to do with Duluth or anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth