Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 AM

243 posts, read 594,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
Anybody notice that the building on the corner of 1st and Superior (with the Coney Island) is being redone? They have a dumpster and scaffolding out front. Should be a great addition to the street!
Yeah, I just drove by there last night - I couldn't believe it! I had no idea that they were going to be doing some work there. I think it was Kraus-Anderson doing the work, right? Hope they can give it a nice new facelift - that would be a good location for a little eatery, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
Quote:
I can understand singles and people starting out wanting this option for living, but most people want to live in a nice single family home with a yard and garage. The reason why things are so slow in Duluth including retail is because of the city's far left policies. If the unions and radical green type people would leave the rest of us alone, you'll see an economic renaissance in Duluth(and the rest of this country)like you've never seen! I am all for making some areas ped friendly, I usually park at the mall and walk up to Burning Tree Plaza and to Stone Ridge and back to the mall again, but please remember that automobiles pay the taxes for most road improvements, bicyclists and walkers don't pay gas taxes or go to the DMV every year to pay tabs.
While this is certainly the traditional option for living - the house, garage and yard - there are plenty of people who want absolutely nothing to do with landscaping or exterior maintenance and prefer the condo or townhome-style living. And not just singles or young married couples. If there had been an affordable, viable townhome option with some resale value when we were looking for a house, we might have considered it. And we're in our 40's. The townhome community I once lived in in the Twin Cities had been built in 1969 and when we moved in in 1997, 75% of the residents were the orginal owners, 30 years later; meaning they had gone from those young couples to seniors in the same development.

Also remember that most walkers and pedestrians - the ones who work and pay taxes, anyway - DO own cars and pay for gasoline and license fees. But it's nice to be able to leave your car at home and walk somewhere, especially when you'd prefer not to take your life in your own hands and try to walk where people seem to think they need to constantly drive 20-25 MPH over the speed limit and ignore traffic signs, like what I've seen in many of the downtown areas. So a lot of those people will seek out a vibrant, walkable downtown area in which to live, work, and shop.

Regarding the question of Duluth supporting a Byerly's. From what I remember, Byerlys was more of an upscale grocery chain. Great stores, but low prices were never their strong suit. They remind me a lot of the Whole Foods Markets in the Pacific NW, and those stores are literally the bastion of the "radical green" set. So to me, if you want a grocery chain like Byerly's to survive in Duluth, you'll need those "radical green" people to keep it going.

I don't think there will never be an "economic renaissance" in Duluth or in ANY city in the U.S. in the 21st century with people (and policies) from only one segment of the political spectrum.

Still an outsider's perspective, I guess, but it seems to me that Duluth should stop trying to be what it was and find another niche. I highly doubt mining, logging, and heavy industry are coming back unless someone strikes oil in Hermantown. But Duluth still has tourism, the largest freshwater lake in the world, beautiful weather, and outdoor activities galore. The area already attracts hunters and fisherman by the hoardes, but getting just as many mountain bikers, kayakers, walkers and so-called "radical green" people, then getting both sides of the political spectrum to agree on something would be a good start. Doing away with "left" policies (whatever those may be) and eschewing urban development so that everyone can have a house and yard they may not want, or maintaining a community infrastructure which offers one style of living and necessitates driving everywhere probably isn't going to be that 'something.' Maybe it would have been in the 1970's, but not today.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
While this is certainly the traditional option for living - the house, garage and yard - there are plenty of people who want absolutely nothing to do with landscaping or exterior maintenance and prefer the condo or townhome-style living. And not just singles or young married couples. If there had been an affordable, viable townhome option with some resale value when we were looking for a house, we might have considered it. And we're in our 40's. The townhome community I once lived in in the Twin Cities had been built in 1969 and when we moved in in 1997, 75% of the residents were the orginal owners, 30 years later; meaning they had gone from those young couples to seniors in the same development.

Also remember that most walkers and pedestrians - the ones who work and pay taxes, anyway - DO own cars and pay for gasoline and license fees. But it's nice to be able to leave your car at home and walk somewhere, especially when you'd prefer not to take your life in your own hands and try to walk where people seem to think they need to constantly drive 20-25 MPH over the speed limit and ignore traffic signs, like what I've seen in many of the downtown areas. So a lot of those people will seek out a vibrant, walkable downtown area in which to live, work, and shop.

Regarding the question of Duluth supporting a Byerly's. From what I remember, Byerlys was more of an upscale grocery chain. Great stores, but low prices were never their strong suit. They remind me a lot of the Whole Foods Markets in the Pacific NW, and those stores are literally the bastion of the "radical green" set. So to me, if you want a grocery chain like Byerly's to survive in Duluth, you'll need those "radical green" people to keep it going.

I don't think there will never be an "economic renaissance" in Duluth or in ANY city in the U.S. in the 21st century with people (and policies) from only one segment of the political spectrum.

Still an outsider's perspective, I guess, but it seems to me that Duluth should stop trying to be what it was and find another niche. I highly doubt mining, logging, and heavy industry are coming back unless someone strikes oil in Hermantown. But Duluth still has tourism, the largest freshwater lake in the world, beautiful weather, and outdoor activities galore. The area already attracts hunters and fisherman by the hoardes, but getting just as many mountain bikers, kayakers, walkers and so-called "radical green" people, then getting both sides of the political spectrum to agree on something would be a good start. Doing away with "left" policies (whatever those may be) and eschewing urban development so that everyone can have a house and yard they may not want, or maintaining a community infrastructure which offers one style of living and necessitates driving everywhere probably isn't going to be that 'something.' Maybe it would have been in the 1970's, but not today.

Just my 2 cents.
Fair enough, but I'm not sating there should only be houses-I own a condo myself. I just think that the market-families and individuals-should decide where and how to live, and not government. The truth is is that the low tax/regulation states(with the possible exception of Florida) are wheathering the recession far better and were growing faster than the high tax/reg. states. Duluthians are always complaining about the lack of stores and restaurants, yet they continue to vote in anti-growth city councilors year after year, while cities twice as small are surpassing Duluth in upscale and mid-scale retail and dining establishments(not to mention surpassing it in size). If Duluth would allow high paying jobs to locate there and stop picking their citizens pockets, then people would be more able to patronize those wanted retail establishments. From what I've seen, Byerly's isn't all "green". They do have organic sections, but all their stores are in suburbs and carry most of the major food brands, but have a more upscale meat, cheese, bakery and gift area than the average supermarket. I have to say that I'm very impressed with Mount Royal Fine Foods, they are close, if not on par, with Byerly's!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:40 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,738 times
Who ever gave the information on the Medical Clinic in the Wieland Hayes Block was right! Good job! Its going to be intersting to have that go in there and it not be retail... But its better than nothing I guess!

I just drove by the building on the corner of 1st and Superior and was amazed! Thats a big face lift! That will for sure do something for the area.

Has anyone seen Residence Inn lately?! It is so amazing. It is a gorgeous building. I cannot believe how tall and how massive it is. Plus the design is just great! For sure does a lot for the area.

Texasroad House has started to put up their support columns! Which means walls should be going up soon!

Plus what do people think of the DECC? Is it just me or is it being built at an extremely quick pace? It definitively gives a different feel to the area.

Also, has anyone seen on Central Entrance next to Planned Parenthood the building that is being renovated by Kleiman Realty? They are adding a whole second level and renovated the entire building inside and out. Seems to me the space would be a great space for Quiznos to finally get their presence on Central Entrance.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 PM

I'm very glad to see something go in Wieland! Although I would rather see retail and restaurants on the ground level, It's far better than vacancies. Plus, physicians are well payed and they likely will spend money in Duluth and that's a good thing. Also the Greendale development cleared another hurdle this week, I hope that one starts soon and hope that they get a website with some plans and tenant listings.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,738 times
Residence Inn is fully framed and now being roofed. The windows are also being put in at the moment.

TR's structure is now being put up and the parking lot curbs being poured. The area looks totally different with a structure in the Duluth Hill site.

Just an update.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM

36 posts, read 94,128 times
What ever happened with the Superior Crossing in Cloquet? Is it completely dead in the water? Also what new hurdle did the Greendale development just get approved?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrockman View Post
What ever happened with the Superior Crossing in Cloquet? Is it completely dead in the water? Also what new hurdle did the Greendale development just get approved?
DEDA ok,s sale of wetland mitigation for project. Published on 9-17-09, Duluth News Tribune. Niether Mission Development or Arrowhead Commercial Partners have websites, they must be reletively new companies. I have not heard of Superior Crossing or that development in Hermantown since they were first mentioned on this thread a while back.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:40 PM

I ate at a Sonic in Columbia Heights over the weekend-great food and a cool building. I hope Duluth can get one of those soon. Besides Chipotle, there are two other "fresh-mex" places I would like to see locate in Duluth, Qdoba and Baja Sol. Wait, maybe three-Pancheros. all three are expanding to the newer areas of the cities.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
I ate at a Sonic in Columbia Heights over the weekend-great food and a cool building. I hope Duluth can get one of those soon. Besides Chipotle, there are two other "fresh-mex" places I would like to see locate in Duluth, Qdoba and Baja Sol. Wait, maybe three-Pancheros. all three are expanding to the newer areas of the cities.
St Cloud has Qdoba and Panchero's. I think Qdoba sux.
I like Panchero's even better than Chipotle.
The cuts of meat are better at Panchero's....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth