Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 13,797 times

Advertisements

Not much for new retail businesses opening downtown, but interesting things are going on with some buildings that should be good in the long term.
  • The building with the new Fanny Rose candy shop/Coney Island continues to be completely rebuilt on the inside. It seems to be a well-funded project. Even the small parking lot in the back has been rebuilt.
  • There's a new optical shop next to Carmody Pub. They did a nice job on the storefront.
  • Skyway under construction from Greysolon Plaza to Sheraton
  • New restaurant in Old City Hall is going to happen, but it will not be until next year.
  • Former Carlson Bookstore is in stable hands, but it will be expensive to make it user-ready again. It's potentially a large and high-profile location that could further boost east-downtown, but who knows what could work there?
  • The NorShor will also need money, but I absolutely believe the city was right to buy it. It's already improved the neighborhood just by being shut down as a strip-club. The fact that the city owns it - not a rogue individual - allows developers to be more open to investment in the area.
Downtown fascinates me. It's full of problems, but it's far from dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 PM

47 posts, read 150,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinport1 View Post
Not much for new retail businesses opening downtown, but interesting things are going on with some buildings that should be good in the long term.
  • The building with the new Fanny Rose candy shop/Coney Island continues to be completely rebuilt on the inside. It seems to be a well-funded project. Even the small parking lot in the back has been rebuilt.
  • There's a new optical shop next to Carmody Pub. They did a nice job on the storefront.
  • Skyway under construction from Greysolon Plaza to Sheraton
  • New restaurant in Old City Hall is going to happen, but it will not be until next year.
  • Former Carlson Bookstore is in stable hands, but it will be expensive to make it user-ready again. It's potentially a large and high-profile location that could further boost east-downtown, but who knows what could work there?
  • The NorShor will also need money, but I absolutely believe the city was right to buy it. It's already improved the neighborhood just by being shut down as a strip-club. The fact that the city owns it - not a rogue individual - allows developers to be more open to investment in the area.
Downtown fascinates me. It's full of problems, but it's far from dead.
In my opinion, eastern downtown and western downtown have flipped. It used to be that west of Lake Ave was the nice part, but now all the places are east with the Zinnema, Blackwater, and the Sheraton. Its really becoming the exciting end. Especially with Fitgers close by with the Brewhouse, Red Star, and the Rex, its hardly the dead end down that way.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,667 times
I see Disc-Go-Round moved from Burning Tree Plaza into the same space as Collectors Connection in Village Square. There is also construction going on in Clear Wires old space at Village Square. They are sure going slow at the Japanese restaurant in Burning Tree.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 AM

What is happening to this and the mall thread? Is there no good retail news in Duluth or have people lost interest in this subject or is everyone busy?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,738 times
I think right now Duluth is having a little lull in retail development. This kind of happens every year. We are in that little pocket of time where all the projects that are been announced are being completed and then usually its right after Christmas that we begin to hear of new projects. I still am struggling to figure out what is going in the old Car-X building on Central Entrance. The only guess I have is a Discount Tire Co. store. Anyone know?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
All of the busybodys went to the apple festival.

When I see this thread I think of Gladys Kravitz.(bewitched)
jmo.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
I think right now Duluth is having a little lull in retail development. This kind of happens every year. We are in that little pocket of time where all the projects that are been announced are being completed and then usually its right after Christmas that we begin to hear of new projects. I still am struggling to figure out what is going in the old Car-X building on Central Entrance. The only guess I have is a Discount Tire Co. store. Anyone know?
Yes, it's Discount Tire. I was up there a week ago and the guy at Abra said so.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Sad to see that Hells Burgers closed in Canal Park. Hopefully somehow another restaurant will go in the space. I feel that only chains can really survive in Canal Park due to the high rent. Anyone have any thoughts.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Sad to see that Hells Burgers closed in Canal Park. Hopefully somehow another restaurant will go in the space. I feel that only chains can really survive in Canal Park due to the high rent. Anyone have any thoughts.
I really wished that Hell's Kitchen would have stayed. They had the best breakfast in town-the Huevos Rancheros, spicy!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Not that this deals with retail development... But I saw that the city council denied a new electronic billboard to be built on the hill to the side of Home Depot. I really dont think it would have hurt the area that much due to the area already being so commercialized. Anyone have any thoughts? I really like electronic billboards, they make an area look alive and growing. Hopefully they will try to find another site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth