Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM

129 posts, read 248,660 times

Advertisements

Saw that the puppy place that was on Central Entrance is now an auto place. Just what we needed. Ugh
Also have noticed the old Charted build on Superior St. has no for sale signs up in it anymore. Somebody moving in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM

129 posts, read 248,660 times
Signs went up for Bed Bath and Beyond Coming Soon Tonight. Amazing! Also side note, Went to Super One off of Superior Street in the Plaza and saw they are remodeling inside. Still more to do but it's looking good. It needed it.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM

243 posts, read 594,661 times
Looks like the Maya Mexican Restaurant is moving to the old Tejas building after all. I think this will be a great move for them, and much more accessible. A sign went up on the building, and it says April 2011.

Any other restaurant, retail or commercial news in the area? Really would love to hear more about possible developments.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,738 times
Few updates I saw yesterday while driving around town.

Walmart's major upgrade to a Supercenter is going full speed right now. It seems like they basically almost completed the skeleton work of the rest of the front in less than a week. It looks completely different now... it looks... well... NICE You can also tell that when they are finally able to seal off the right hand entrance that they will be ready to finally take down the temp walls. If you've been in their lately you would have noticed that there are temp walls all along the back and the right hand side of the store. That is where the expansions have taken place. Told it will all be done in October 2011.

Bed, Bath and Beyond is another active construction site now. They have removed almost all of the stucco on the exterior of the space as of yesterday. I am not sure how major this renovation will be (I'm hoping it will be extensive). I guess we will find out our answers in the coming weeks!

Starbuck's at Target and the renovated Pizza Hut area is expected to open within the next week. They weren't completely sure when.

The old Duluth Spring Co building that was being turned into a brewery was torn down this week. I am not sure what that is all about being I thought the company was planning to use the building and its uniqueness as an attraction for people to come and eat. Anyone have any news on this? Are they going to just build a new building? Or is it becoming a parking lot? What's happening with the site?

I was at Caribou in Canal also and noticed some work going on in the old Northern Lights Bookstore space. I couldn't tell if they were just fixing up the space to get it ready to sell, or if there was a new tenant for the space. There was a dumpster out back and a cement mixer, which makes me think they have a new tenant. Yet when you went to the front of the store it didn't look any different, the windows were still covered with the sale signs and paper.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
The old Duluth Spring Co building that was being turned into a brewery was torn down this week. I am not sure what that is all about being I thought the company was planning to use the building and its uniqueness as an attraction for people to come and eat. Anyone have any news on this? Are they going to just build a new building? Or is it becoming a parking lot? What's happening with the site?
It is still supposed to be a brewery.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,667 times
I was just on a website called loopnet and it listed the mall KMart building for lease. I wonder if KMart is finally closing?! I wish they would just demolish that place, it's an eyesore on the entire mall area. I also saw the Centro/Burning Tree Plaza website and it listed Daisy's and Daydreams as a tenant. They've only been in that new building for less than 2 years-I hope a restaurant could take their space, there was supposed to be a pizza place in there when it was being built.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 13,797 times
[quote=duluthian2008;18541200]

I believe it was determined that the site was contaminated. The city and property owner applied for and received a grant to clean it up, but that required the building to be razed. It will probably take many months to do the cleanup, but the property owner still talks about it becoming a brewery. I wouldn't expect any building to take place this year.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,738 times
Daisy's and Day Dreams has moved into Burning Tree Plaza. Brag Grame Rights closed, so the their space along with the former Daisy's and Daydreams were filled by Country Financial and Recline' and Sleep. Sad... I know.

Thanks for the info twinport1!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
Quote:
I was at Caribou in Canal also and noticed some work going on in the old Northern Lights Bookstore space. I couldn't tell if they were just fixing up the space to get it ready to sell, or if there was a new tenant for the space. There was a dumpster out back and a cement mixer, which makes me think they have a new tenant. Yet when you went to the front of the store it didn't look any different, the windows were still covered with the sale signs and paper.
I am not a professional eavesdroppper (), but while waiting for a recent flight from MSP back to Duluth, I overheard a gentleman in the same gate area telling a friend that he was in the process of opening some kind of old-world Italian pizza place in the Northern Lights bookstore space. Supposedly a unique kind of pizza that is brick-oven baked...something like that.

I heard that the lady who owned the bookstore also runs the gift shop in the Marine Museum and has consolidated a lot of her lake/ship-related books there.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Daisy's and Day Dreams has moved into Burning Tree Plaza. Brag Grame Rights closed, so the their space along with the former Daisy's and Daydreams were filled by Country Financial and Recline' and Sleep. Sad... I know.

Thanks for the info twinport1!
But at least the spaces have been filled. That is a positive thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth